I grew up with Eric Clapton. He turned me on to much of my first blues and I tried to learn more Clapton licks than anyone else.

But in the long run, I wonder what his legacy actually will be. IMHO he's far from being the best blues guitarist around. I wouldn't put him in the top 20 even all-time.

Yes he's written some great songs. He might be a better songwriter than guitarist really. But I don't think anyone would rate him as one of the best songwriters either.

And you've got to give him props for keeping the blues alive. He always gives credit to the original masters and I doubt Robert Johnson would be as well-known as he is if it wasn't for Clapton.

And now his Crossroads Festival has become a real chance for new blues players to be found and prosper.

There's no question he has had a major impact on music for almost 50 years. But his actual guitar playing has not been his strength for a long time. I haven't really gone out of my way to listen to him or learn any of his licks.

Believe me I love Eric Clapton but sometimes I wonder why.

Anyone else feel that way?
Eric Johnson's tone is the best.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I remember in the last thread you made that I drew your attention to this forum;
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

I saw Eric Clapton live once, a friend of a friend couldn't make the gig and I got a call at the last minute, missed half his set but it was good.
He has made a lot of good music in his time and is responsible, along with the other British guys of that era, of making blues music cool for white Americans and thereby lifting the careers of guys like BB King and Muddy Waters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQG8R2BFKQ0
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 28, 2013,
He is easily top 20 of all time, very high in the list. He's an amazing guitarist. The stuff he produced with Cream, Derek and the Dominos, Blind Faith etc. was amazing. He has also been versatile from playing something like Crossroads to stuff like Wonderful Tonight and also great acoustic stuff. He has been an amazing guitarist as well as a great songwriter and his voice is very underrated. You also have to consider the major impact he has had on music.
My opinion is that he's one of those guitarists who lost a lot of his "spunk" with age. When you listen to him younger (like Cream), his guitar playing is much more ambitious and dynamic. Faster, louder, brighter, etc. As time went on it sounds like he sacrificed that stuff for more precision, better tone, etc. but it lacks a certain excitement to me.

Like compare how he plays "Crossroads" post-Cream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZ_pquBScE

I guess what sets him apart is he's a bit more versatile as a writer.
Boring guitar player and racist. That's how i'll remember him atleast.
Oh god, this thread reminded me of Robert Johnson so I looked him up on Wikipedia. This is one of the worst articles I've seen as it's just filled with bias and you can tell it was written by fanboys. Especially the "Musical Style" section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson
Last edited by The Madcap at Jul 28, 2013,
I like Clapton, he's a classic. Not my favorite, not even close, but I have great admiration for him.

I went to his Crossroads guitar festival in Chicago in 2010, and there were so many better guitarists and musicians there than him. But in the end, it doesn't really come down to skill. No one was there to see the best musicians, they were there to enjoy the blues.

Speaking of that festival, this song's not bad, but Randolph's lap steel playing was just amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNY41Vc5yE
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by HoneyboyHart
I grew up with Eric Clapton.

What was he like?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gantz92

this is a good post
Quote by Gantz92

This.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by LostLegion
I'll remember him as a cover artist.

This. To be fair when he started out everyone was doing covers, but the amount of covers he puts on his albums is ridiculous.

I have a lot of respect for him, love his playing. I do agree of him losing his 'spunk' over the years, though. His ambition died when he started doing drugs in the '70s and he kinda lost his edge after rehab from heroin and alcohol.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Last edited by Randio at Jul 28, 2013,
Eric Clapton doesn't care for brown people.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
As much as I love the album Disraeli Gears, he should have kept his opinions to himself and quit roughly 40 years ago. Here's why:

Quote by Gantz92

Maybe racist isn't the right word, he's fine with black people when their music makes him a lot of money. Bigoted and idiotic spring to mind though.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
I like Clapton, he's a good guitar player and song writer.
Better than me so I'm not gonna put him down, also liked his wha wha in the song White Room.
cream
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
cream

lol
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by LostLegion
I'll remember him as a cover artist.

this

Quote by Gorelord666
What was he like?

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Eric Clapton doesn't care for brown people.

He seems to play brown people music on stage with brown people a lot though.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do