Hiya, Im Simon and I play ( some far better than others lol ) quite a few instruments , more and more people have told me to record some pieces for YouTube and I think it's a good idea so Id like to! Problem is I'm not in a band, or an orchestra, and I'm not keen on just putting a video up of me playing the cello if I've written a whole score for the piece with a guitar, trombone having parts aswell etc. Essentially what I'd like to do is create a video file ( for YouTube etc ) that sounds like a couple people playing but is really just four tracks I recorded being played at once on video.

So, the two things I really need help with are firstly what can I record the tracks with? I don't want to just record them on my phone or even video them if I could just record an audio track I could save onto my computer that would be perfect. And secondly, what could I use to combine say three different tracks into one so I could then go onto movie maker , put a image over the back of it and that would be it done.

I think movie maker does allow you to put multiple tracks of music, so if no one knows any other program's I could do it on that's okay but it'd be helpful to know!

If you can provide links that'd be great also!

As an example here's a piece I composed, I recorded the rhythm guitar on my iPod, played it aloud as I recorded me playing the lead part , so I had the rythm played out loud as I played the lead part that's what your hearing not two guitars playing together. If I could record and do multiple tracks I have a trombone and cello part I could of also added to it!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2INMN4rhkC0&ei=D0j1UYX9DIXVOe7TgLAC&usg=AFQjCNExeBF__l92_H58W3vBTn0U-lwDXA

Thanks, Simon
Movie Maker doesn't have PIP (Picture In Picture); you'll need something a bit higher up, like Premier Elements. For better sound quality, you'll want to record the audio into a DAW while the cameras are rolling, then mix and master later, and use the mixed track for the video. That's how I made this cover, for example.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jul 28, 2013,
Okay so does premier elements have the option to run say 3-4 different audio tracks at the same time? I do like how you have both videos running in your cover video but for mine I'd prefer to just put an image , or a few different images like a slide show up.
Quote by SimonGrounsell
Okay so does premier elements have the option to run say 3-4 different audio tracks at the same time?

Yes, but that's not the point. If you want a good-quality video, you won't be mixing them in the video editor. You'll be mixing them in a DAW first, then using the mixed audio.
Quote by SimonGrounsell
I do like how you have both videos running in your cover video but for mine I'd prefer to just put an image , or a few different images like a slide show up.

You've got to think in terms of what people want to see. A simple slideshow isn't as engaging as seeing someone actually performing the music.
If a slideshow is all you want, though, I still say you're best off recording the music first, mixing it, and then just loading the mix into Movie Maker. You won't need to upgrade your video software that way, and it'll sound better. Check out the Interface thread for advice on recording.
Okay I will look into DAW more but for what I have in mind it seems really rather expensive, Premier Elements I will definitely be looking into though thanks for that.

Any one know any good microphones or audio recorders?
You don't need Premiere Elements for what you want.

"DAW" isn't a program. It's a type of program. Try Reaper, it's free.

The industry standard for instrument mics is the Shure SM58, but I'd wait for the rest of the regulars to weigh in on this.