Im looking to purchase a decent guitar effects processor that has goos sound quality nd will last me a while. bought my first electric (ESP EC-100QM) a year ago and have been playing with a friends cheap digitech so its time to buy something better.
im looking for something thats versatile and will satisfy my needs for the next few years. I basically play old school metal/hard rock but i also spend quite a bit of time on clean tones so i would hate to compromise them. again im just a beginner so no other pedal or anything of that sort, just this processor to the mixing board to the speakers !

1) HD 300 is limited with respect to presets, doesnt offer a lot of flexibility. how much of a problem is that..?? Is there any alternate way to assign presets to the FX Blocks ?

2) how does the TonelabEX fare with metal sounds in comparison to the HD ?
from what i'm clean tones are warmer and more full in the Tonelab EX...what of the line6?
any thing i need to know incase i were to gig with them ??

3) other than these are there any other major drawbacks or features in either that i should be aware of before making a decision ?

Basically i want something that gives a good overall sound quality and the ability to edit and create tones. Cant decide between the two...any help would be greatly appreciated !
yes i am a newbie so a lot of vague question are natural i guess :P!
Last edited by utkarsh\m/ at Jul 30, 2013,
Not sure if either of those have one but if you're new, I recommend a multifx with a looper. (Zoom G3?). A looper makes a superb practice tool
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
zoom G3 is without the expression pedal so....im not exactly new..have been playing the guitar for almost 4 years now...but the i dont really know much about these floor boards !

Yeah loopers are great !!!! both of these have them ! as for the zoom i'm sorry but im not too sure...
how do i put this...im looking for a piece that will i wont out grow as a guitarist in a few years time you know ?
The G5 has an expression pedal and I would rather have it than the HD300 or the EX. It's probably better that metal than either of those two.
The HD300 is better quality sounds than anything in its price range.

Where are you located and are you willing to buy used? You can get a used HD500 for $300 the price of a new HD300.
If your in the USA go here you can find HD300 for $175+, HD400 $200+ and HD500 for $300+

www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by utkarsh\m/
zoom G3 is without the expression pedal so....im not exactly new..have been playing the guitar for almost 4 years now...but the i dont really know much about these floor boards !

Yeah loopers are great !!!! both of these have them ! as for the zoom i'm sorry but im not too sure...
how do i put this...im looking for a piece that will i wont out grow as a guitarist in a few years time you know ?

my bad for assuming.
Not sure about the HD but the tonelab is more of a toy than the G3. And I grew INTO a G3 for apartment practice.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 30, 2013,
I'd definitely recommend finding a way to get the HD500 rather than the 300, even used.