Page 1 of 2
This thread is dedicated to Glasgow's awesomeness.

Glasgow has the best architecture.

Glasgow has the best animal lovers.

Glasgow has the best street cleaners.

Glasgow has the classiest birds.

Glasgow has the bestest food ever. Don't be jealous.

We even kick London's ass when it comes to violence and Glaswegians mysteriously die earlier than common folks. Legend says God is in dire need of Glaswegians up in heaven.

Proof: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/nov/06/mystery-glasgow-health-problems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22276018

Glasgow is no a city. It's a way of life. It's like Croydon, if Croydon didn't suck ass.

Discuss Glasgow's superiority to your hometown.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jul 28, 2013,
you don't have pizza.

your point is moot.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
ive been there. it rained like hell. i liked it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
The Glasgae Thread*
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by raoooos
shithole

This is the Glasgow thread, not the Edinburgh thread.

Some people, I swear to God...
Any would-be beauty of Glasgow is marred by the existence of TS.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

TS is a sexy beast, therefore, Glasgow is a sexy beast.
Quote by bass-fale47
And Glasgow is the place where a burning terrorist got punched in the face.

And kicked him in the nuts so har he broke his foot, better yet the guy got knighted by the queen for it haha
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
ive been there. it rained like hell. i liked it.

I had the same experience. How strange.

Chelsea - Rangers. Blues Brothers #NoSurrender #GSTQ #FGAU

My scarf celebrating both glorious clubs.

"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by gallagher2006
My American friend pronounces Glasgow as 'Glass-Gow".

H-have I been pronouncing it wrong?

Typical Americans, man. That always happens.

It's Glahs-go.

Quote by AmalgamOfMeat
What is a Glasgow? How does one Glasgow?

If you have to ask, you'll never know.
I live 8 miles outside of Glasgow, I've spent a lot of time in it, and I've grown to dislike it.

I know a lot of people from different countries come and think it's great, but it's hard as **** to see why.

EDIT: Edinburgh's a lot "nicer" than Glasgow, but I still dislike it more that Glasgow.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Jul 28, 2013,
Glasgow has haggis pakora, btw.

Never tried it, but I'm sure it's good.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Glasgow has haggis pakora, btw.

Never tried it, but I'm sure it's good.

Haggis pakora is pretty common really. Even the chippies do it where I'm from. It's pretty fuckin' good.
I've been there.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I'm not worried, half of his posts are about his eagerness to leave.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
you don't have pizza.

Everywhere has pizza.
Quote by eGraham
The Glasgae Thread*

Nah, all the decent Glaswegians call it Glesga
or, y'know, Glasgow
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by guitarist41
I live 8 miles outside of Glasgow, I've spent a lot of time in it, and I've grown to dislike it.

I know a lot of people from different countries come and think it's great, but it's hard as **** to see why.

EDIT: Edinburgh's a lot "nicer" than Glasgow, but I still dislike it more that Glasgow.

It's, like, you are me.
I guess you're moving to Germany, but what would be the problem if you had to live in Glasgow on a long-term/permanent basis (40-70 years)? It doesn't seem that bad. Are there not enough jobs? Did the crazy lady beat you up? Does the vacuum cleaner man pounce on you when you move? Is Ireland better or worse? Discuss
That would depend on the part of Glasgow, probably. Some of it is kinda depressing, especially if you have spent almost 21 years on the same streets. Some of it is nice.
So is there some kind of rule you could attach to Scottish dialect that might help me understand when -ae is used?

Like, it just seems really random.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'd be pronouncing 'do' like one might pronounce 'day'.
It's not easy trying to represent a dialect in writing, particularly when most of the readers are gonna be English or American
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 29, 2013,
Quote by Hydra150
The Falkirk Wheel - It's the best we can dae!

It is glorious

We're also going to have 100-ft tall horse heads soon so your mocking is going to look pretty damn stupid then.

Ya dobber.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Random88

We're also going to have 100-ft tall horse heads soon so your mocking is going to look pretty damn stupid then.

Ya dobber.

Whatever makes you feel better
i once wrote a play about kelpies, it was amazing

Quote by Omniscient G
I used to live in Aberdeen.

swagswagswag. which part?
Quote by Masquirina
I guess you're moving to Germany, but what would be the problem if you had to live in Glasgow on a long-term/permanent basis (40-70 years)? It doesn't seem that bad. Are there not enough jobs? Did the crazy lady beat you up? Does the vacuum cleaner man pounce on you when you move? Is Ireland better or worse? Discuss

Well, it's not Glasgow in itself, rather, it's the UK. Glasgow may not be the prettiest city, but the people are pretty chill, accents are neat, have a sense of humour, and the city has got character. That's mostly why I created this thread, even if it is a bit tongue in cheek.

The things I don't like are...

(big ass rant in 'ere)
1. The weather. It's been 30 something Celsius in Germany this week, and here it's back to rain. Germany doesn't have the best weather. Before I moved to Glasgow I thought "Well, I've had to deal with German weather, how bad can Scottish weather be?" Well shit, it's worse. Which leads me to...

2. You can't "chill" outdoors. I seriously struggle to find a cafe' to sit outside, have some coffee and just lay back a bit. Let's say the weather is good, sun is out, it's dry - where do you go to have coffee somewhere? Eventually you'll find someplace, but you seriously need to search. It's not essential for life, but I miss this. Worst case scenario you gotta look for a beer garden. Which leads me to...

3. The alcohol culture. Before I moved to Scotland I was jokingly told "Pepper you're gonna have to practice drinking more here so that you can fit in in Scotland". Actually, it's not a joke.

In Canada my friends and I got drunk and had fun. We drank at home, drank in the bushes (we couldn't go to pubs yet, plus, pubs were never "cool") and it was awesome cuz we did stupid crazy shit. Here it's less about the "crazy stupid shit" and more about drinking - the more and the cheaper - the better. See Buckfast.

I tried to join in on that culture, I really did, but in the three years I have lived here I have seen a friend of mine rushed to the hospital from alcohol poisoning and another friend of mine break down on me telling me he didn't know how he'll be able to stay sober and keep up a 9-5. That's when I realized I don't wanna wake up as a middle aged guy going to the pub every day after work. Ever since I've decided against going out every weekend my number of "friends" has exponentially decreased, including the two I mentioned in this paragraph. Which leads me to...

4. The women. Ok, this is what I don't get about British women: they doll themselves up REALLY well. I mean, damn, they spent a lot of time and effort on it with make up and clothes. Some put too much effort (and y'all know what I mean with that and I'll leave it at that). So they spent all that time to appear feminine and once outside - BAMN! They act more obnoxious than the guys. That includes the drinking. I find it hard to find that attractive.

Oddities:

1. Rangers v Celtic: I never before in my life thought being protestant or catholic was a big deal. Since I'm here I'm very, very, VERY cautious when I make pope jokes. And I love pope jokes.

2. Taps off and on: Ok, most Glaswegians are pale as milk and burn easy. So why do they take their shirt off when the sun is out?

3. Transport system. Grrr.

In summary, I've enjoyed my time here and it has allowed me to grow, but I feel like I don't fit in. I do think there are good job opportunities here compared to southern Europe, the housing market could be worse, NHS is a double-edged sword and in the end I imagine Scotland to be better than England. Obviously Glasgow can't be that shit, or else there wouldn't be so many people moving here for jobs and further education but, in the end, I don't feel like I fit in and in some ways I feel ostracized.

If I had to stay here until I was 50 or 60 I think I'd work towards making enough money to retire somewhere sunny like Spain. Also, I'd try to move to the West End, maybe.
The Rangers/Celtic, Protestant/Catholic stuff is some ******ed shit for sure
I live in a so called hot zone for the Rangers vs. Celtic stuff. It is hyped up a lot, I've never seen anything too bad. Shit goes down after an orange walk sometimes and there was a whole bunch of shite surrounding the fact that when a Subway came into town, the background of the sign was changed from green to black.

Other than that, it's not too bad except for some rare violence and the odd green traffic light that's been done in.
Quote by homeless-john
I live in a so called hot zone for the Rangers vs. Celtic stuff. It is hyped up a lot, I've never seen anything too bad. Shit goes down after an orange walk sometimes and there was a whole bunch of shite surrounding the fact that when a Subway came into town, the background of the sign was changed from green to black.

I know a guy who stays in Larkhall, says some guys painted the fences around a local park from the regulation green to blue. The ASDA's sign is different too iirc.
I think that stuff about Larkhall and green is ****ing hilarious.

I mean, can they actually separate the concept of colour and the concept of religion in their minds?

****ing goofs.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Page 1 of 2