Has anyone here ever run more than one distortion pedal in a single chain? Did it work out for you? Why did you do it?
I use 2 big muffs for lead a lot. Sustain maxed on one, 0 on the other, one tone at 3, the other at 9. The noise is hard to control but I like the challenge and it sounds glorious when I can do it right. I think running 2 distortions/ods isn't all that uncommon.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by vanitybinge
Has anyone here ever run more than one distortion pedal in a single chain? Did it work out for you? Why did you do it?

this is actually pretty popular. people call the practice of running multiple distortion pedals at once different things (like chaining or stacking). there is also no solid rules or general agreement over a proper order.

i ran:

2 ch. boost -> 2 ch. OD -> fuzz -> univibe -> more pedals

i would chain various combinations into one another at different times. i usually did it to add variety to the guitar tone and make the song sound more rich, also to help some of the leads step out of the mix a bit. i also did it at times for more sustain
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 28, 2013,
I occasionally run a distortion into an overdrive pedal. It sucks some tone out but I can use it to get extra volume if needed. Also makes my guitar feed back like a mofo.
Always make sure to put a transistor based Distortion (usually a fuzz pedal) last and Op-Amp ones first (usually distortion pedals or overdrive). If you don't the op-amp will clip the gain from the transistor based fuzz and make your tone sound like shit. If you don't know what this means look it up because I'm don't have the time to give a beginners course in electrical engineering.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I run a Bad Monkey into a GFS Greenie (only as boosts)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think SRV ran 3 Tubescreamers in a row into a clean fender. I am not sure when he used three, but i know he ran at lwast two ts' most of his career.

I use a zendrive into (including sometimes other pedals) a timmy. It gets smoother on the, zendrive (equal gain) then boost it with a timmy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 29, 2013,
I run my Proco Rat in front of my Russian Big Muff all the time. It gives a really heavy crunchy tone. Very sludge metal sounding.
I had 2 overdrives and an eq pedal as boost in front of a tube amp set to clean on one of my rigs, sounds great. One was set to crunch and the other set to lead, then the eq would provide final boost and some extra saturation if needed.

Knew a guy that was running two Metalzones in front of a Mesa set on crunch tone, the MZ pedals were set to mild crunch with sweep eq affecting different frequencies. He was getting a great Carcass/At the Gates kind of tone.
I run 3 different drive pedals on my board (see sig) one of which has two channels, plus I use the drive channel on my amp as a solo boost.

Different tones for different tunes.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a Devi Ever Soda Meiser stacked with a Catalinbread DLS (version 3). Sounds great. A really gnarly fuzz tone that with the DLS engaged, gets a very British amp quality to it. Which is useful because I play out of a Fender amp.
sure, all the time
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Two overdrives here too! Individually, I use an MI Audio Blues Pro for my main dirty sound (big and ballsy rock) and a Digitech Bad Monkey for more of a smoother mid-level gain (mainly for rhythms). I'll turn both on for a nice high gain lead tone with a nice amount of compression and sustain.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I'm at the next level above you guys - running drive pedals in series and in parallel.

Running an OD into a (Little) Big Muff sounds awesome, gives it a little volume and a bit more punch, which is helpful cause the LBM turns into an indiscernible wall of fuzz at a certain point, not that I don't love that.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.