I've always loved to sound of the pickup in Telecasters, so clean and crisp, specifically the Fender American Standard neck pickup from the 60th Anniversary Telecaster. My question is what are your opinions on pairing something like this up with a high gain humbucker in the bridge, something like a Seymour Duncan Dragon II or an EMG-85? and have them in some fancy shaped guitar like a BC Rich Mockingbird which you would then use for metalcore? I've had this idea for a while and I would like to know what people think of the idea because even to myself it sounds weird but it sounds like it would produce a very interesting tone and image
Quote by Xpl0r
My question is what are your opinions on pairing something like this up with a high gain humbucker in the bridge, something like a Seymour Duncan Dragon II or an EMG-85?

I would personally forgo the EMG (hence the signature; from what I hear, that guy knows tone), and use a slightly cooler (?) humbucker to balance out the single coil. There would probably be a large volume gap unless the humbucker was really far away and the neck Tele pup was kissing the strings, lending an imbalance of tone. I'd vote on a JB or something more classic for the bridge position.

A second concern is whether or not you could put a single coil in a Mockingbird without exposed routing. I don't recall whether there's a pickguard or not, but I think I remember an absence of such. I'd say buy a Telecaster and put a JB in the bridge position, and then rock out with some Clash or Cash. Because metalcore doesn't match Telecaster tone/ethos.

edit: Be individual and try stuff out. Just because I say it wouldn't work doesn't mean it won't. I've never tried it! Good luck, my rockin' friend.
Last edited by slimjimmypage at Jul 28, 2013,
Thanks mate, I'm into customising my gear and stuf and I've had this idea in my head for a while but im not too clued up on the electronics side and the thought of a volume difference never came to mind. You're right though there isn't a scratchplate on a Mockingbird, I used that as an example as it is the guitar I own and use and it was the first wild shape that came to mind. I love telecasters but this way is much cheaper and given the choice between a custom Tele and a custom Mockingbird I would'nt be able to choose, I actually chose the mockingbird over an Epiphone Les Paul custom with EMG active's and I have no idea why.

As for your edit at the end, ye man you just gotta do that, You don't know till you try and I reckon this will give a very unique sound
I use a 6.5k single coil in the neck paired with a tone zone (17k) ...tone zone is about 5/6mm from the strings and single is 3mm and with high gain there isn't very much difference in volume

also + 1 on what PRS said about emgs
Quote by sytharnia1560
also + 1 on what PRS said about emgs

I was at a talk he gave in Seattle at the Guitar Store (awesome place). He was very paranoid and douche-y. Makes some nice guitars, but after meeting the man himself, I don't think I'll ever buy one. He did bring a reallllyyyy nice amp that did Hendrix and Duane Allman pretty much perfectly, but only those two things. Those two settings sounded supreme though.