Hello. I`m new around here. I just want to ask. What is the difference between Overdrive and Metal Effect pedal? Can they be used together? I have a Danelectro Fab Overdrive and planning to buy Metal one. Thanks in Advance.
over drives are generally more tame. Distortion pedals are generally heavier sounding pedals. Keep in mind though, some amps are high gain amps and don't need a high gain(distortion) pedal, such as a mesa boogie, at least in my opinion.
what amp are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Overdrive effects are the mildest of the three, producing "warm" overtones at quieter volumes and harsher distortion as gain is increased.
Metal distortion is included in the heavy metal. And it is a genre of rock music and one of the and that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and in the United States. With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo.
Quote by Alieenw318
And it is a genre of rock music and one of the and that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and in the United States. With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo.

Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by Alieenw318
Overdrive effects are the mildest of the three, producing "warm" overtones at quieter volumes and harsher distortion as gain is increased.
Metal distortion is included in the heavy metal. And it is a genre of rock music and one of the and that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and in the United States. With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo.

Did you really just copy from several Wikipedia articles?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
They can be used together. There are overdrives that can give you a metal tone. But overdrives are typically meant to work with your existing amp tone whereas distortion pedals usually cover it. Overdrives are often used with dirty amps and distortion pedals are normally used with clean amps. These aren't rules though, you can use them however you want.
Quote by Lavatain
Did you really just copy from several Wikipedia articles?

is that considered plagiarism???
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Most recreational distortion pedals sound really bad to me. It's good if you want a unique tone, but if you're looking for high gain tone, an amp's distortion always sounds better in my opinion.
Metal pedals always sound like a can of bees to me, or is always missing some characteristics that an good amp metal tone has.

There are some good ones out there though, like the Digitech TL-2 or Metal Muff.
BOSS Metal Core is kinda decent, but Metalzone is shit unless you're using it as a boost.

BOSS HM-2 was pretty awesome, I have one, but they're discontinued. Not exactly like an amp tone, but you can get some great sounds out of it.

In the end, I'd just get an overdrive to boost an amp's distortion and call it a day.