My girlfriend gave me a PRS SE cust 24 for my birthday. I love it, but i dont think im in love with it. Im not totally comfortable with the trem and dont know how complicated blocking it up gets when it comes to changing strings. Heres my dilemma. I like the fatter more round tone of the prs se 245, but i really enjoy how "playable" the thin neck is on the custom 24. I have an ibby ax220 which has a thick neck that i dont mind playing on, so im not opposed to the thicker neck. I play all sorts of genres so i cant put a finger on what genre of tone im looking for. Is it the 245 pickups that i like? is it the thickness of the neck that gives it that nice fat tone? Should i be considering a completely different brand/model all together? Im a really indecisive person so any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Get an mxr 10 - band eq, usually that can help a lot. Also try 11s string gauges. Seriously if the guitar is comfortable make the changes to help it sound good
All trems are pretty much the same for changing strings, if you do one at a time and sort of hold it in place with the bar it's not so bad. Actually blocking it is really easy, you just need a piece of wood or something.

And the tone probably has nothing to do with the thickness of the neck, probably the pickups. Better pups might be the better option. Eq pedals are kind of pointless IMO, in any situation where you'd need eq (recording, live setting) you'd have it already.
My thoughts are that if im going to be looking to change pups and fixing the bridge, all while im open to different size/shape necks i might as well consider a different guitar entirely.
Quote by pjs87
My thoughts are that if im going to be looking to change pups and fixing the bridge, all while im open to different size/shape necks i might as well consider a different guitar entirely.

Considering what i like/am looking for i was hoping for some suggestions to try to narrow the field.
I look for guitars that sound fat or warm or whatever when not plugged in.I think alot of tonal character can be heard that way.
Quote by rickyvanh
I look for guitars that sound fat or warm or whatever when not plugged in.I think alot of tonal character can be heard that way.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Aside from the les paul, what brand/model(s) have you found that get you that fat warm tone?
Well,I think it comes down to how well a particular guitar is put together as well as the selection of body and neck wood.You can play several Les Pauls or Strats or any other brand and find one that sounds better than the rest,even in cheap models.
Quote by pjs87

This. Different pickups make a massive difference to sound. And a fixed bridge increases sustain and in my opinion makes it sound much thicker.
All about the mids!!!!!!!
I'm thinking about checking out the epi LPs but I'm having a hard time swallowing the epi phone name. I don't think my pockets can handle the Gibson. Any thoughts?
Quote by pjs87
I'm thinking about checking out the epi LPs but I'm having a hard time swallowing the epi phone name. I don't think my pockets can handle the Gibson. Any thoughts?

OR the prs se 245.
Some Epiphones are as good as Gibsons, just need a good set up and sometimes need a pickup swap. The Beatles, Gary Clark Jr., Alex Lifeson, Joe Pass have all been players of an Epiphone, if its good enough for them its good enough for me haha
Quote by SteveJB1989
Some Epiphones are as good as Gibsons, just need a good set up and sometimes need a pickup swap. The Beatles, Gary Clark Jr., Alex Lifeson, Joe Pass have all been players of an Epiphone, if its good enough for them its good enough for me haha

I hear you... I need to get my hands on a few models and i think its going to come down to an Gib LP studio, the PRS SE 245 OR SE Singlecut, or An epi. Im not familiar with the epi models so im not sure which to consider.
Go used, you can get a much better gear.

If your in the USA www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear has pretty good prices and a 30 day return policy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pjs87
I hear you... I need to get my hands on a few models and i think its going to come down to an Gib LP studio, the PRS SE 245 OR SE Singlecut, or An epi. Im not familiar with the epi models so im not sure which to consider.

The PRS's are nice, Studios are nice too. I have a 56' Gold Top Epiphone Les Paul and it plays better than all my other guitars and sounds better. And best of all I got it for £80 quid used. Thats including a case too. Depends on if you drop on a deal.

But in order id go for:

1) Gibson LP Studio
2) PRS SE 245
3) PRS Singlecut
4) Epiphone
Quote by SteveJB1989
The PRS's are nice, Studios are nice too. I have a 56' Gold Top Epiphone Les Paul and it plays better than all my other guitars and sounds better. And best of all I got it for £80 quid used. Thats including a case too. Depends on if you drop on a deal.

But in order id go for:

1) Gibson LP Studio
2) PRS SE 245
3) PRS Singlecut
4) Epiphone

Thats the same order, more or less, that i was thinking. From what i hear about the studios thought is that i should really take my time playing through a bunch of them to find the right one because the QC on them isnt held to the same standard as that of the lp standards. I think i might end up keeping the cust24, and picking up and ADDITIONAL member of the family rather than swapping out. XD
Do that! Although every Studio ive played has always been good, they wont be up to standard quality due to the fact that they havent had the same amount of time spent on them, set up its just as good. Just not as good a finish on it.
p.s I wouldnt believe a lot of the stuff you see on here. Its mostly elitist propaganda
Quote by SteveJB1989
p.s I wouldnt believe a lot of the stuff you see on here. Its mostly elitist propaganda

GTFO

really you are gonna come here as a new member and then Trash the members here.

Most people here give very good advise. Yes sometimes it is a bit biased, but it is still good advise. A lot of the time they give advise that is not asked for, because it is the better way to achieve the results they want.

If you don't like that fine, but don't post your opinion as a blanket statement of how it works here.

Besides go to Rigtalk or TGP if you want a bunch of elitists
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wouldnt believe "a lot" of stuff on here. "mostly" elitist propaganda, not all. Would be good if you read something correctly before reading too much into things. Preferably before telling me to GTFO? Keyboard warriors. Gotta love em'
Quote by SteveJB1989
Wouldnt believe "a lot" of stuff on here. "mostly" elitist propaganda, not all. Would be good if you read something correctly before reading too much into things. Preferably before telling me to GTFO? Keyboard warriors. Gotta love em'

Yeah of course there people with out knowledge trying to give their own opinions as facts, LIKE YOUR POST.

And yeah GTFO if your going to act like an douche
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
GTFO

really you are gonna come here as a new member and then Trash the members here.

Most people here give very good advise. Yes sometimes it is a bit biased, but it is still good advise. A lot of the time they give advise that is not asked for, because it is the better way to achieve the results they want.

If you don't like that fine, but don't post your opinion as a blanket statement of how it works here.

Besides go to Rigtalk or TGP if you want a bunch of elitists

Nothing to do with my question. Thanks for taking that time to really set him straight. If you could, save that for the "feelings" thread.

Any thoughts on anything related to the thread?
Quote by pjs87
I fell in love with a Gibson SG J today.

Those are OK, if you will go used you can get a used SG special Faded for $350-$400.

If your not familiar with them they are basically the SG J's older model. Everything is the same except the pickup covers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Those are OK, if you will go used you can get a used SG special Faded for $350-$400.

If your not familiar with them they are basically the SG J's older model. Everything is the same except the pickup covers

Ive played them and the neck (mahogany neck maple board) felt light and cheap compared to the maple/rosewood in the SGJ. Both have th same pups, so other than the nitrocellulose on the special (tonal impact?) and the pick-guard i don't see a difference. I think id prefer to buy new and have it age with me. I know some think that guitars sound better as they age, i personally haven't experienced that myself.

Ive been able to narrow it down to the SGJ and the LPJ. I cant figure out which one i like more, and i think im leaning towards the SG. mostly because i want to save some $ over time and buy a true LP with a fancy paint job a few years down the road.
Quote by pjs87
Ive played them and the neck (mahogany neck maple board) felt light and cheap compared to the maple/rosewood in the SGJ. Both have th same pups, so other than the nitrocellulose on the special (tonal impact?) and the pick-guard i don't see a difference. I think id prefer to buy new and have it age with me. I know some think that guitars sound better as they age, i personally haven't experienced that myself.

Ive been able to narrow it down to the SGJ and the LPJ. I cant figure out which one i like more, and i think im leaning towards the SG. mostly because i want to save some $ over time and buy a true LP with a fancy paint job a few years down the road.

The SGJ and SG special faded are basically identical except for what you pointed out.

I was not aware the necks of the SGJ were maple now. The black hardware was all I knew about.

All Gibson's has Nitro paint
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 19, 2013,
Got my sgj and love it. The factory set up is a little high for my personal preference, but not high enough to adjust it right away. Almost left the store with a voodo instead but the $300 price difference for the ebony board and black hardware didnt seem worth it for me. I definitely feel the "rough frets" but they're not as sharp as some people make them out to be. I happen to enjoy feeling the frets as a reference.