So I've been listening to alot of Born of Osiris, Bring me the Horizon, August Burns Red, and stuff like that...and i noticed they use alot of Harmonic Minor Scales. so ive been learning some of that but can anyone help me on what i should be working on cause of the scales that im playing arent in drop turning and i know most of these bands are. so ive been playing mostly on C,A,D (CAGED)Scale patterns. So can anyone give me a few riffs that what most of these bands do or are there anything else im missing aside from the breakdowns, in which i can learn in like 2 mins?
You can play harmonic minor in any tuning.

BoO and ABR are all about complex breakdowns and weird time signatures. Just watch live vids and try to figure out what they're playing/why it sounds "metal"
you can play any scale in any tuning - changing the tuning doesn't change the notes on your guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
you can play any scale in any tuning - changing the tuning doesn't change the notes on your guitar.

But that's exactly what tuning does!
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
e ----------------------
B ----------------------
G ----------------------
D ------8-11------9-12
A -7-10------8-11-----
E ----------------------

That riff <__< In every song <___<

Nah, but a lot of that music does use a lot of minor thirds and augmented fourths, and when you put them both together, you get that riff, it sounds quite odd, as it's a chromatic riff, a lot of these bands do use chromatic melodies to sound more 'evil' or what have you at times. There's also this chord;

B -9---
G -12--

Which is a pretty horrible chord, it's a G and an Ab played together, you'll find it in a lot of breakdowns. If you want to explore the more technical side, which the exotic scales, I'd recommend looking at the bands that influences these bands, I can hear quite a bit of Necrophagist in some Born of Osiris, as I remember, Yngwie Malmsteen is always a good place to start if you want to use the Harmonic Minor scale, as is Nevermore and Dream Theater if you really want to get your sweep picking up to speed.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
e ----------------------
B ----------------------
G ----------------------
D ------8-11------9-12
A -7-10------8-11-----
E ----------------------

That riff <__< In every song <___<

Hahaha this made me laugh too much.

Please don't listen to any of Bring me the Horizon's new stuff and expect to learn all that much. It's not very technical at all. Count Your Blessings... Learn that whole album and you will be the most generic and brutal metal guitarist of all time. Not even kidding. That album is like your generic metalcore riff on repeat for 50 minutes. And yet it's still my favourite album of all time :')

Also work on pinch harmonics if you wanna sound xbr00talx. Bitches love slow open string breakdowns with a fat pinchy on the side.
Bitches also love a harmonic thrown in every 5 seconds during your generic riff.
Also sweeping, you're not metal if you can't pull out some generic minor harmonic 5 string sweep randomly for the progressive crowd. Trust me, all the 15 year old boys will love you if you do it, and me
Last edited by vayne92 at Jul 29, 2013,
If you want to emulate the sound of a certain band, then play the living **** out of their material. That's the closest you will get to their sound.
baab