I've written a lot of half-songs over the last year, then abandoned them, never to return. But I finally finished one! I was going for a - for lack of a better word - 'cinematic' feel.

Also, this is the first recording I have done with my Mesa Mark IV! Running an MIM HSS Stratocaster into the Lead Channel, with a Sennheiser E835 mic.

Would appreciate a like or follow or whatever Will C4C!

I'd appreciate any feedback, and I hope you enjoy the song!

http://youtu.be/a89yAPp7hzY

Edit: new version with louder drums - http://m.soundcloud.com/thenocturnaldawn/anthem
Last edited by ibanez1997 at Aug 27, 2013,
Very interesting song, it sounds really good! The main flaw is production levels but that comes with time and better gear. The drums could be alot more prominent overall. The guitars are a bit too dry, the lead ones that is. Try adding delay and some reverb to add some atmosphere. Mainly the issue is the lack of presence in the drums. The lead work is a bit rambly after awhile, the song needs to change up a bit, it's like one extended solo. Changes of tempo, type of riffs, that sort of thing.

Overall it's a quality song, though it functions better as an end solo to a more complete song. Your production will simply improve with practice, and try to work on getting a balanced mix. For a first shot, this blows my earlier stuff to pieces lol. Keep it up
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by boratian
Very interesting song, it sounds really good! The main flaw is production levels but that comes with time and better gear. The drums could be alot more prominent overall. The guitars are a bit too dry, the lead ones that is. Try adding delay and some reverb to add some atmosphere. Mainly the issue is the lack of presence in the drums. The lead work is a bit rambly after awhile, the song needs to change up a bit, it's like one extended solo. Changes of tempo, type of riffs, that sort of thing.

Overall it's a quality song, though it functions better as an end solo to a more complete song. Your production will simply improve with practice, and try to work on getting a balanced mix. For a first shot, this blows my earlier stuff to pieces lol. Keep it up

Thank you for the honest feedback! I have no production experience, although I'm trying to improve. I was trying to get some delay on the leads, but I was using my only multieffect as a boost, and when I added delay after the fact, it sounded muffled and weak. What would you advise to get the drums to stand out more?
As for effects on the guitars, apply them after recording, it gives more control. What DAW are you using? Also the drums depends on what youre using to program them. Simply they need to be louder and punchier, and than comes from EQing. It also helps using EZDrummer or Superior Drummer as those naturally are very high quality.
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Fantastic job man. I'm loving the left and right panning on the rhythm guitars, and a great use of dynamics throughout, if cinematic was what you were aiming for, then you're definitely there. Every part was arranged wonderfully, and the biggest and only problem I can see, is the same as boration mentioned before: small production stuff. EZ Drummer will work wonders on a basic track, and honestly drums are the biggest if not only reason it isn't there completely besides small blending with the lead in certain parts. Overall I'm really digging it brother, and much thanks on the review I appreciate it.
Joey! Watch your speed!
Good song dude! The only thing I can add to what has already been said is that the mix overall just seems a little thin. But, that'll be something that you find out how to correct through experience! Great work!
Nailed the cinematic feel very well. If anything, this piece reminds me of the old Tintin cartoons.

Agree with previous comments. Production could really improve, would sound much better with clearer and punchier drums. Nothing much to say about the guitar work, its a solid piece of work.

Also, if that's your name on the youtube title, I'm guessing you're Indian?
I'm curious about how you got hold of a Mark IV...shop? Or imported?

EDIT: Dump Audition, get hold of Reaper and EZDrummer/Superior Drummer/Addictive Drums from somewhere. Will really help in the long run.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 8, 2013,
Thanks! My production could be a lot better, and I'll be working on it. It does seem like EZ/Superior Drummer are go-to options for programming drums, but I doubt I can get my hands on them for a few months, as the Mark IV was a recent acquisition and I'll have to wait a bit before making another music purchase.

My family is from India, but I live in Seattle, so I got the Mark IV off Craigslist.

Thanks for the feedback!
Enjoyable. I agree with most of the above posts. The mix could sound a bit more "full". Try messing around with the EQ of each instrument and make sure they're all filling their own sonic space, not competing for the same one. It may also just be another production issue, but the lead guitar comes across a bit too prominent. Thats one thing I had to learn mixing full bands, as a guitarist you want the guitars to stand out, and they will, just don't let it over power the whole mix.

Also check out Addictive Drums. There is a free demo version available and it works pretty good.

C4C https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1612581
Hey man. Thanks for the feedback! I liked your song a lot. I agree with previous posts about the mixing but I love your lead guitar tone! The rhythm guitars are a bit quiet at times. Solo is fantastic! Only thing I would suggest is cutting back on the wah a bit.

Overall, great job. Keep it up.
The lead playing is nice and fluid, the production lets it down a bit but that's to be expected of anyone who's not a professional engineer. I can't really fault anything about the playing, I like the way the lead is constant and evolving, if you could blend it into the darker elements happening in the background a bit more I think I'd like this song a lot more but hey, trust your own ears before anyone else's. Nice song.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31824753#post31824753
Hey man. Thanks for the feedback, I used your feedback to fix some of the minor stuff... I think it sounds quite a bit better. The one thing I would do with your track is incorporate more vibrato into the lead playing.
Production is pretty good! You really got the cinematic feel right. I started out with the original version and then went to the version with louder drums... the second version is more rough because of this, I'm not sure if that's better. I liked the part around 1:15. The lead guitar is pretty nice throughout, and as DG_Griffin said pretty prominent, but I liked that. Some more variation in the composition would maybe have been nice, but I liked the song overall! And especially for a first song, this is really good.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1615263
As some other guy said, a bit more reverb and delay on the guitars would greatly benefit the song! I think also panning the lead guitars a bit could create a better balance to your song! I like the overall melody, even if it gets a bit stale before the change where it once again gets better again. Maybe try to spice the rhytms of the rhytm guitar to add depth to the song, as it has a tendency of becoming a bit stale after a while. Sorry if you thought I was too hard on you

Here is my band's EP: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618100
just critique as many songs as you like
Definitely enjoyable. Good job on leads, but i'd cut a little on the wah. I'm not going to give you any production remarks cause that's been mentioned in detail already hah. But the rhythm gets pretty boring after a while, I think you need to make that more interesting throughout. It does have the Satriani vibe with a melodic lead over rhythmy chorus parts. It lacks the "Dream Theater" influence you have mentioned though.

I use a Mark IV as well, definitely a great amp.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618478
love it...I'd love the rhythm guitar to be a bit thicker or more present etc. it seems so dominated by the leads. I know leads should stand out but I can hear the rhythm but I feel they have been neglected as in they need some more meat on their bones! of course I have this problem too when mixing.

overall the nice creativity trumps the mixing issues!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618660