Come on now, you can use Google can't you?

It's a Japanese company, they make guitars. Their low end instruments are now made in China. They're also one of the manufacturers that works for Fender Japan.
in my experience, the japanese-made ones are excellent (though with the strong yen, they're not as good value as they were )

the non-japanese ones are a bit meh.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never heard of them. Personally, I'd steer clear. Just my opinion though.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
According to my own research they used to be great bang for the buck. Nowadays, after moving the production of cheaper models to China, they are pretty much on same level as other guitars of same price range. IE if you would have to choose between Epiphone or Tokai Les Paul its just a matter of taste which fits your hands better.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Tokai is a suburb near where I stay

Quote by Dave_Mc
in my experience, the japanese-made ones are excellent (though with the strong yen, they're not as good value as they were )

the non-japanese ones are a bit meh.

^came here to say pretty much that
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER
any info in this brand?

plenty.

what do you want to know?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
plenty.

what do you want to know?

How good are they comparing them to gibsons or epiphone are these good quality ?
From all accounts, a MIJ Tokai is about as good as any production guitar you're going to get, at a given price. So if you see a MIJ Tokai you like, and the price is right, I'd say go for it!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER
How good are they comparing them to gibsons or epiphone are these good quality ?

Depends on which model you are looking at. They are similar brand to Epiphone and Gibson - they have cheaper and more expensive models. And usually the more expensive ones are better, at least when you are comparing cheaper Epiphones to more expensive Epiphones or cheaper Gibsons to more expensive Gibsons. And this applies to any brand. No brand is better than some other brand, almost every brand has their worse and better models. So go and try them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER

i'd imagine the MIC guitars are similar to epiphones in the same price range, i've never tried one though.

i have played a few mij tokais, mostly older ones and they are on par with the mia stuff. i've had about a dozen gibson les pauls of varying model and currently have a tokai mij lp from 1979. i kept that tokai for a few reasons. the gibsons are nice guitars, i just felt that i got more for my money with the tokai i found.

the guys that have the newer mij tokais speak very highly of them. they spec out nicely compared to gibsons.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I guess one benefit of the MIC Tokais is they do seem to regularly stock models that Epiphone don't. Curse their rotating line-up!
Tokai Gakki make ultra-high end Les Paul-replicas in Japan, and low-end copies in China - and everything inbetween these. They have also been building large parts of the product line for Fender Japan since the late 90's, besides of course having manufacturing under their own name.

The reason why they don't reach Europe or America to greater extent is that Gibson has had lawsuits against them and that any store that carry Gibson are forbidden to carry Tokai. For example, Rich Tone Music in the UK had quite a selection of Tokai guitars a few years back, but when they began to stock Gibson they stopped carrying the brand.

The recently strong yen has also made importing them more expensive.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jul 29, 2013,
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER

i'd probably just get an epi if i were looking at the non-japanese ones (or maybe a vintage or agile or something like that).

the japanese ones compare favourably to the gibsons at the same price level (though, as i said, they're not as good value as they were). they're better than (non-japanese) epiphones.

you're not always comparing like with like, though, which makes it harder- for example the cheaper japanese tokais have a poly finish, whereas even the cheaper gibsons are nitro- but the cheaper tokais are still finished to a high standard (whereas gibson cuts corners on the cheaper models), and have a medium tenon instead of gibson's short (i think) tenon on its cheaper models.

it's a judgement call, really. I've bought tokais (or more accurately, other japanese copies) over Gibsons (and fenders), and most recently I bought a gibson SG instead of a tokai because the gibson was actually cheaper.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?