Right, so I'm currently faffing about replacing bits and bobs in an old guitar. I once played an axe with a Fernandes Sustainer in it and was hooked. They're brutally expensive though and not totally sure they'll suit what I want to do with this guitar.

My question is, what other options do I have for something cool and a littler different to put in a pickup slot? I don't really mind what, just like to have some other ideas and I'm clearly either Googling the wrong words or nothing else exists!

Rescue me UG!
I don't know the difference in price, but there is also a product similar to the Fernandez sustainer called the Sustainic
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tater tots?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Eladamri
Right, so I'm currently faffing about replacing bits and bobs in an old guitar. I once played an axe with a Fernandes Sustainer in it and was hooked. They're brutally expensive though and not totally sure they'll suit what I want to do with this guitar.

My question is, what other options do I have for something cool and a littler different to put in a pickup slot? I don't really mind what, just like to have some other ideas and I'm clearly either Googling the wrong words or nothing else exists!

Rescue me UG!

I'm not sure what else can go in that pickup slot, but a Sustainer driver is a good idea. Actually, I have a sustainer driver (the Sustainiac brand differs largely in the circuit board style, not in the drivers) in my neck pickup location, but I have the single coil size, and it shares the spot with a single coil size stacked humbucker.

The humbucker is an 18Kohm DiMarzio Fast Track II, originally intended as a Strat bridge replacement pickup. It's very focused and quite loud (compared to the 9.2 kohm '57 I have in the bridge), one of the most usable neck pickups I've ever had. You can't use it with the sustainer (it can only work with a bridge humbucker, else you get a screechy mess), but your only other choice is to use the sustainer driver as a neck pickup, and I don't see it as a great choice.

The sustainer from Fernandes is a hard PC board, and you'll want to rout a place for it (I have it behind the Floyd on my guitars) and for the battery. I like this location and installation MUCH better than the Sustainiac installations that put the board in the control cavity and then drill a couple of holes wherever they can between the other controls. Digging around for the battery amid an already crowded control cavity is a recipe for intermittent wiring faults at best and outright failure at worst. Thus, the battery box rout in the back.

I've done a few other tweaks with the two guitars I have set up like this.

You can see the pair of miniswitches for the sustainer behind the floyd. I added a new location for the master volume (easy to grab for pinky swells). To the left of that is the master "tone" (treble rolloff), and to the left of that, the dark button is a Buckethead-style intermittent kill switch. Below and between the MV and the MT is a Chandler Tone-X. This is an active sweepable mids boost (think "parked wah") on a push-pull, and behind that is the Sustainer Intensity knob. There are three tiny pots on the sustainer board that can be led out to external pots, and this one is very useful. I find this is a much better use of four (well, five) holes in the front of an LP than the standard quad of 2V, 2T, which are more likely than not to be dimed and forgotten.

Here's another option for that pickup hole. How about an SD P Rail? This is both a single coil rail pickup and a full-on P90 pickup side by side. You can switch from one to the other, and both work very well that way. You can also run them in serial or parallel together and run them as a humbucker.

There's a switching system called Triple Shot from SD that will relieve you of miniswitches (though I prefer these) and push pulls (which I hate):

As an option to that Chandler Tone-X on a push-pull, you can also run a sweepable mids cut (fixed cut amount, variable frequency). Contact Gary Brawer in San Francisco for details. Very useful for giving an LP a more Fenderish sound. There are also bass cut and mid cut pots (fixed frequency, variable amount) such has Gibson has used on the reissue L6S and the original L6S, respectively. In addition, there are switching options that will allow you to run both pickups together, but out of phase (a Blend knob is really useful here rather than a 2V setup) and even some wiring setups that will let you run both pickups together in parallel mode out of phase with an additional capacitor that will both cut the bass in the neck pickup and delay the signal just enough to give a slightly different flavor to the out of phase sound -- very useful, but you'll only find that one on an original L6S (the schematic isn't hard to find).

And then there are active preamps (most of which allow passive operation as well if the battery fails). I have a Carvin that has a Master Volume, a master bass and a master treble with a Blend knob. The master bass and treble offer 15 dB of active cut and boost on either side of the detented "5" position, and the Blend knob allows a lot of flexibility in conjunction with these controls. In addition, there's a pair of single-coil miniswitches and a phase switch, all of which give you a wide variety of tonal options.

And so on.