Hi all, I'm new here
I want to buy an Orange TH30 head and i've actually got the POD HD500 as a pedalboard.
I've seen in some forum that the TH30 has some problem with the FX Loop and the Master volume with the POD HD500.
Above all, this review scary me a lot and keeps me away from buying it:
I have a Orange TH30 and unfortunately the volumes (one for each channel) are before the fx loop. This really does suck as I was hoping to be able to switch patches mid set for a different sound with minimal fuss. The other thing is, when I try and use the HD500 for the amp models, placing the master volume on the HD 500 as explained above, I simply can't get the same amount of volume from the setup. As in the lack of volume makes it completely unusable.
If your master volume is after the loop, the HD 500 would be a killer piece of kit with the 4 cable method thats for sure.

Anyone can clarify this issue or suggest me how to get rid of this problem with TH30?
(Or suggest another versatile tube amp head like TH30 for under 1000$..)
EVH 5150 III 50 watt is great and can even use the midi function of the pod hd500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
EVH 5150 III 50 watt is great and can even use the midi function of the pod hd500

Thank you, but I have nowhere to try it and I don't like its sound very much on some reviews on youtube.
Yeah the 5150III and the TH30 are pretty different.

Maybe look for a used Rocker 30 if they have an FX loop. You can always take your POD HD to a store and actually try the TH30 with it. Then you can see first hand if there is an issue for you.

You have to remember something that is a deal breaker for some is not even an issue for others. I cant speak for the TH30 but I have gear I love that others dislike alot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The EVH 5153 50W is great indeed, but it has the exact same issue as the TH30...so....why even recommend that?

Anyway..what the issue means though, is that the pre-out will be at different volumes, depending on what you set your master volume at - meaning effects that you place in the FX loop can respond differently depending on the volume they are hit with.

If you're not going to be using the amp models in the Pod you'll not really have any issues though - however, if you are going this route it'd be better to just pick up the M13 pedalboard from Line6, as I believe the effects are the same as on the Pod?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
The EVH 5153 50W is great indeed, but it has the exact same issue as the TH30...so....why even recommend that?

With the HD500 using midi the volume issue is not an issue any more when switching between ch1 and 2.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
With the HD500 using midi the volume issue is not an issue any more when switching between ch1 and 2.

I'm actually not sure we're talking about the same thing?
I'm aware you can channel switch with midi, and I guess you're talking about the difference in volume between ch1 and ch2 on the 5153? And then compensating for it in the pod?

What I, and the op (I believe anyway..) is talking about is that the master volume is placed before the FX loop in both the TH30 and the 5153.

Let me know if I'm totally in the wrong here...I am slightly confused now
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
I'm aware you can channel switch with midi, and I guess you're talking about the difference in volume between ch1 and ch2 on the 5153? And then compensating for it in the pod?

What I, and the op (I believe anyway..) is talking about is that the master volume is placed before the FX loop in both the TH30 and the 5153.

Yes, that's the point. The master volume is placed before the FX loop causing an annoying volume drop when using the POD amp modeling.
I have unfortunatelly no dealers in zone to try
Quote by Shor

Yeah I was talking about the vol difference between ch1 and 2 is fixed by using MIDI to control the amp.

I was not aware the 5153 had the MV before the FX loop, kinda dumb way to design it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I was talking about the vol difference between ch1 and 2 is fixed by using MIDI to control the amp.

I was not aware the 5153 had the MV before the FX loop, kinda dumb way to design it

Yeah I really hate the MV placed like that...screws up loop pedals a lot if you want to save any presets on them, too. Not to mention the fact you can't hook up the preamp to an audio interface to run it through impulses without playing at a fairly loud volume.
As for the Ch1+2 volume compensation..that is still not optimal, as you'd have to change it every time you change the gain for all the patches you made on the pod.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Robbgnarly

So, check if I'm wrong, I can solve the problem using MIDI board to control FX loop on the amp?
Last edited by salvathebest at Jul 29, 2013,
Quote by salvathebest
So, check if I'm wrong, I can solve the problem using MIDI board to control FX loop on the amp?

That I'm not sure of, let some of the guys who have 1st hand experience answer this.

MIDI does fix the volume issue between ch1 and 2 (since they are shared EQ)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That I'm not sure of, let some of the guys who have 1st hand experience answer this.

MIDI does fix the volume issue between ch1 and 2 (since they are shared EQ)

Do you know some tube amp head under 1000$ that doesn't suffer this issue with a quality comparable to TH30?
This problem seems to be very annoying..
A used JCM 2000 DSL 50/100
Peavey JSX/XXX/3120/XXX II
Laney VH100r

what country are you in?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
A used JCM 2000 DSL 50/100
Peavey JSX/XXX/3120/XXX II
Laney VH100r

what country are you in?

I'm italian.
What a pity, I really love Orange amps' sound..but I can't sell my POD HD now.
Quote by salvathebest
I'm italian.
What a pity, I really love Orange amps' sound..but I can't sell my POD HD now.

The country you live in not your nationality. My wife is Italian but we live in the USA.

You guys have a good mass transit system in Europe, why not take a day and go to a city that does carry the TH30 so you can actually try it for yourself.

Only an Orange is gonna sound like an Orange (well except for Matamp, Electric amp)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The country you live in not your nationality. My wife is Italian but we live in the USA.

You guys have a good mass transit system in Europe, why not take a day and go to a city that does carry the TH30 so you can actually try it for yourself.

Only an Orange is gonna sound like an Orange (well except for Matamp, Electric amp)

Sorry, I naively assumed that my nationality would coincide with the country..
Anyway, I play a lot of QOTSA and Kyuss stuff, but also i have a Coldplay tribute band (which obviously require nice clean sounds): that's why I love the versatility of TH30.
If you can find a Laney AOR, GH or VH it will work for those genres. The AOR is from the 1980's the GH and VH are still being made today.

The GH is a 1 channel amp while the VH is a 2 channel. but the ch2 of the VH is the same as the GH.

You can get away with a used JCM800 or even a JCM2000 DSL
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If your looking for an amp to use the podhd with. You should look at the dt series
What are you using the PODHD for? It should work fine for effects since you're using it with the amp.