Hi.

I currently have a Fender Deluxe and a VOX AC30 that I play through at the same time to create a 'fuller' sound. I was thinking about purchasing another overdrive pedal and putting a different overdrive pedal through each amp. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and any tips for this? Or just any tips in general to get a good sound when playing through two amps?

Thanks.
i dunno about playing through two amps at once, but definitely some pedals work better with some amps than others- so that's worth bearing in mind. something more transparent (e.g. timmy/bluesbreaker/bd2) might work better with the vox, while something middier (e.g. tubescreamer) might work better with the deluxe. Unless you mean a tweed deluxe in which case it may already have enough mids.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno about playing through two amps at once, but definitely some pedals work better with some amps than others- so that's worth bearing in mind. something more transparent (e.g. timmy/bluesbreaker/bd2) might work better with the vox, while something middier (e.g. tubescreamer) might work better with the deluxe. Unless you mean a tweed deluxe in which case it may already have enough mids.

Hi, first thanks for the response!

When you say you're not sure about playing through two amps at once, what is your reasoning for thinking that? I've read that quite a few players enjoy the differing tones of playing through two amps simultaneously.

Thanks.
oh sorry, I didn't mean it was a bad idea to do it, i just meant i had no experience with playing through two amps at once Sorry for the confusion
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You just reqlly need a a/b or a//b/y switch. They are cheap and easy to build.

I would take a look at the radial eng model with the three swiches. I have literally gigged it over 50-100 times in the last three or so years.

Just run each amp's pedal after the switch and you are good to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sitting down and dialing in the amps to your needs and wants as a stereo setup seemed to have worked best for me when I played in stereo. You can have them both sound great individually, but you can also dial them in so they just sound great together and maybe a little less separately.

Try things out. As for having different overdrives into each amplifier, trashed hit it on the head. ABY and put them after the split.
i have done very siilar things, i have a number of tracks using two and three amp techniques. it does lend itself to a very full sound.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play920678

that is a old track, uses a music man 115-65 (left), an orange OR50H through a ppc212 (center) and a THD bivalve (right).

you can hear how the different amps react differently to pedals and tones. if you listen to it on headphones you can get a better idea of what exactly is going on.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I've experimented with dual amps, wet/dry rigs etc, & yes, they can make an incredibly full, beautiful tone, but it can take a lot of time (depending on what you're looking for) to dial in exactly. Sometimes, I used to split my guitar signal with a simple "Y" connector (3 female guitar cable jacks) & run right into 2 separate amps, adjust volumes, & BAM! Mega sound, maybe one a bit dry or reverbed, the other with a chorus or something. You have to balance the sound so it doesn't sound muddy, & the tone will vary depending on where you're listening from, so cab placement is key also. I'm too lazy to bother with that for any live situation these days, but it sure can be a lot of fun!

PS-the best example of a wet/dry rig is Van Halen's first album IMO. Listen carefully to the sound mix. It's really remarkable.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Ok so I've been messing around with my set up.....

I tried putting my overdrive through the VOX and just running the Fender Deluxe clean. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and whether they can recommend what settings/sound I should have for the clean to help the overdrive cut through the mix a bit better?

Thanks.
That's a pretty common way to do it and you switch between the two amps. However it's normally something like a Twin that has good cleans at high volumes. People normally use Deluxes for distortion, you just crank 'em up, maybe push 'em with an overdrive. Deluxes can be good for cleans at low volume but that's not why most people buy/make them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jacko_17
Ok so I've been messing around with my set up.....

I tried putting my overdrive through the VOX and just running the Fender Deluxe clean. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and whether they can recommend what settings/sound I should have for the clean to help the overdrive cut through the mix a bit better?

Thanks.

Honestly, I tried that too many years ago, & just gave up trying to run clean tones with distorted tones. I had better results using an OD tone with a somewhat less OD tone (by no means clean). I used a flanger or chorus with some reverb on the less OD one. The heavy OD amp can cut better with the mids bumped, but a lot of it depends on your amps. I used a 1979 100W Marshall head & a 1973 Fender Dual Showman head. Got some seriously heavy '80s metal sounds. I don't even remember what distortion boxes/ODs we used , although I still have my favorite one-a 1985 ProCo Rat which absolutely kills.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I had my Orange in a stereo-setup with a Mesa Lone Star for a while and I used them like this:

The LS was primarily set-up for cleans.
The Orange was primarily set-up for drive.
From my normal clean to my normal drive was just ABY like channel switching.

If I wanted a little push on the drive, I kicked in the LS clean together with it, just for volume.
If I wanted a lead sound, I had both the Orange and the LS driven.
If I wanted a clean boost, I just added in the Orange on cleans.

Worked great for me that way.
Quote by riffhog
Honestly, I tried that too many years ago, & just gave up trying to run clean tones with distorted tones. I had better results using an OD tone with a somewhat less OD tone (by no means clean). I used a flanger or chorus with some reverb on the less OD one. The heavy OD amp can cut better with the mids bumped, but a lot of it depends on your amps. I used a 1979 100W Marshall head & a 1973 Fender Dual Showman head. Got some seriously heavy '80s metal sounds. I don't even remember what distortion boxes/ODs we used , although I still have my favorite one-a 1985 ProCo Rat which absolutely kills.

Yeh that's what I've been thinking of doing for a while, just a case of purchasing a second overdrive pedal for a less driven sound in the second amp. I've been playing with the VOX distorted and the Fender clean but can't seem to utilise the second amp as much as I'd like (well as much as justifying lugging the second amp around).

Any more help/advice would be greatly appreciated.