Hello guys,

I'm still weighing in my options regarding overdrive pedals and will be getting one very soon, but new suggestions keep on opening new doors!

I have had many recommendations to check out the Maxon versions of the Ibanez Tubescreamers, or to put it another way, the original Tubescreamers.

I can't tell what (if any) difference there is between these four pedals, as to my ears they are very similar indeed. The Maxon might just be a little more transparent but the difference is marginal.

Some say the Maxons are sturdier, have the 'original' chip, whilst the Ibanez is poorly made in comparison and doesn't have the superior tone, and the Maxons (on Amazon UK) are at least £20 cheaper than the Ibanezes.

Has anyone out there tried these pedals and if so which would you recommend for both soloing and boosting heavy riffs? Also, what is the difference (if any) between them? Has anyone had any good / bad experience with either? Or are they all more or less the same except the name on the pedal?

Thanks,
Blew1
there's not gonna be a ton of difference, especially if you're using them as a boost.

heck it's debatable if you even need to spend that much money. a bad monkey or something like that would do the job.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use to use a modded ts7 to have ts808 specs, sounded good to me. You can pick a ts7 up for about 20usd used if you're interested. I used mine for tightening up the crunch on my 6505, then just used the lead channel for leads, so I say it depends on what your amp set up is like.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Hi Blew,

The difference between most Tubescreamers really are marginal.
I've heard the Maxons have better build quality, but I can't vouch for this + If I'm not mistaken the TS9 is the same as the OD9 whereas the TS808 is the same as the OD808, only different manufacturers.

The OD808 is a buffered pedal, while the OD9 is advertised as True Bypass (and apparantly has a tiny little bit more gain). However it seems this is more clever marketing. Browse some forums and you'll see there's a lot of debate regarding the OD9 actually being true bypass or not.

I think the whole True Bypass issue is blown out of proportion. Sure, if you have 20 buffered pedals in a row your tone might suffer, but I think you'll be hard pressed to hear a great difference between both pedals. Besides, adding one buffered pedal to your chain might help even out the treble response in your entire chain.

Hope this helps. If not: the Maxon OD808 is great, and I'm sure the OD9 won't disappoint.

Cheers
BCK
^ i think i heard that the od808 was actually a ts10.

but yeah the differences are probably overstated, i agree there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you REALLY want to have either the Ibanez or Maxon and you can get the Maxon for less then get that. Good quality and the "original" clip as others have stated. If you're feeling elitest, then perfect! I have the Maxon OD9 and love it. But if you're merely looking for a boost then, again as stated previously by Dave_Mc, go for something cheaper like the Bad Monkey by all means. I do not, however, use the OD9 as a boost, i always keep it on as the 'tightening' effect it has on my tone cannot be overstated, it pushes my amp into a whole different territory. (Note: I have no experience with the OD808 or its similar competitors)
Of those I still prefer the TS808, but it really only works with Strats. At least in my rig.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
They're all the same. The two component difference has absolutely no effect on the audio range in any situation you're likely to encounter.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ does tgp count as a situation?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ does tgp count as a situation?

Since I'm still seeing the Jan Ray recommended on a daily basis over there, I literally give zero craps about that web site. Only bother with them to sell stuff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have a GFS greenie which is a TS9 clone but it has a 3 way mini toggle to slightly change the voicing. I will take it over a Ibanez or Maxon anyday. and it is only $50 new.

I also have a Bad Monkey and it is pretty good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, but I appear to be dead set on a Maxon. I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King comparing the Maxons to the Ibanez versions and they seem to come out trumps to my ears and is just the sound I was looking for. There might be cheaper alternatives but the tone is what I want and it is (in the UK anyway) cheaper than its Ibanez counterpart.

As a matter a fact, a point that might be of interest - I actually emailed Maxon themselves asking what the difference is between their OD9 and 808 and even they said the only difference is the casing and a few resistors in the output!!!!! They also said that the other more expensive variants of the pedal Pro Plus / TD9 etc would be better...but they're also WAY more expensive.

Cheers,
Blew1
Yup. Believe in the mojo of those two resistors that change the cut off frequency from 1 to .9Hz.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Since I'm still seeing the Jan Ray recommended on a daily basis over there, I literally give zero craps about that web site. Only bother with them to sell stuff.

holy crap, still with the jan ray?

that place really is ridiculous. I mean, I'd be the first to admit that I'm not right all the time (like most people)- but when someone points out I'm wrong with incontrovertible evidence, I admit I've been wrong, take it on board and move on. Not there.

i'm the same as you, i rarely bother any more. nearly getting an infraction (when posterity, or more accurately your badass reverse-engineering of the jan ray, proved I was in the right) left a bad taste in my mouth. The feeling that the mods didn't care about the truth and only wanted to stop the argument didn't help.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King

does not compute

also sigged
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does not compute

also sigged

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Blew1
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, but I appear to be dead set on a Maxon. I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King comparing the Maxons to the Ibanez versions and they seem to come out trumps to my ears and is just the sound I was looking for. There might be cheaper alternatives but the tone is what I want and it is (in the UK anyway) cheaper than its Ibanez counterpart.

As a matter a fact, a point that might be of interest - I actually emailed Maxon themselves asking what the difference is between their OD9 and 808 and even they said the only difference is the casing and a few resistors in the output!!!!! They also said that the other more expensive variants of the pedal Pro Plus / TD9 etc would be better...but they're also WAY more expensive.

Cheers,
Blew1

all hail ttk. probably recorded processed compressed for the upload then i would imagine through shitty computer speakers. more power to ya!

are you aware that clones exist that are [subjectively much better] with some cheaper?

i will leave you to your idiocy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Check out a Xotic bb preamp...
What are you doing with this overdrive pedal? Are you using the gain to play blues on a clean amp or are you playing metal and pushing the front end of a 6505? Some guys get really hung up on the different flavors and options on Tube Screamers but to me pretty much any pedal painted green has essentially the same core sound.

Before you buy a TubeScreamer try out an OCD too. They're different than the green pedals.
Have/had both. The TS9 and OD 808 are great for boost and solid with blues still licks.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Quote by red.guitar

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. if you go on prymaxe vintage and sort ODs by price, there are about 6 pages of quality boutique pedals around 150 or under.

personally, i would rather have something that sounds unique and is unique and not what 1999999999999999 other guitarists have
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
damn looks like we lost OP...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
At least look at some other stuff first.

There are two basic flavors of TS... your basic Tubescreamer, and your SD-1 (asymmetrical variant). The TS tends to smoothen your gain out, while the SD-1 tends to give your gain more grit. That's the basic gist of the difference.

On the TS side, you have your Maxon and Ibanez Tubescreamers, which are the originals. But there are other derivatives that do the job a lot better, IMO.

MXR GT-OD - most basic; 3 knobs like a regular TS.
Digitech Bad Monkey - basic, but has a knob to control bass frequency, which puts it way above a normal TS.
Hardwire CM-2 - Basically a higher quality Bad Monkey. Feels better, sturdier, sounds richer/more harmonic. Nice pedal.
Way Huge Green Rhino - lots of tone shaping options, this is a very popular pedal, lots of options to dial in exactly what you need.

On the SD-1 side, there's:
MXR M77 - Basically just a higher quality SD-1 with more tone shaping controls. They sound very very similar when used as a boost. I own both and did A/B comparisons to choose which to use. The MXR won the spot on my board.
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET - Very nice pedal with some unusual tone shaping features, like changing the gain structure a little, etc.. Has a regular OD side, as well as a boost side. AFAIK there aren't any single pedals with just the OD side, but that side is your SD-1 variant. I haven't tried this one personally yet, so I cant' say much about it.

And that's just some mass produced stuff. When you enter the boutique range, there are tons and tons of pedals out there. Most of them sound great, you can wade through them for a while. And then after that, there's people here who can build you your very own TS to be exactly what you want. And it could be one of a kind. The TS is one of the most basic pedals out there, and there really are a lot of alternatives to Maxon and Ibanez.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 1, 2013,
And then after that, there's people here who can build you your very own TS to be exactly what you want. And it could be one of a kind.

@Offworld92
Can you name a great place I can try for a TS built the way I want it?
Quote by Blew1
@Offworld92
Can you name a great place I can try for a TS built the way I want it?

Contact Toyroom Guitar FX, the owner is a member here greeny23 hit him up on Face book
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Contact Toyroom Guitar FX, the owner is a member here greeny23 hit him up on Face book

+1, you can also ask in the Pedalboard Thread and see what they say.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X