Hi!

Tha Fractal AXE-Fx is the most widely used djent preamp.

But Kemper designed a profiling amp. Which they call Profiling Amp.

Skipping all the considerations about all the cool pitch effects and routing options of the AXE, and the fact that the PA is better than the AXE with clean amps, would the PA do a job as good as the AXE's with djent?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It's all personal preference.
There are plenty of demos of the thing doing "Djent" on Youtube.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by I K0nijn I
Well, look at it this way: If you wanted, the Kemper could profile an Axe-FX.

An amp pretending to be an amp, pretending to be an amp.
[404]Signature not found
Axe Fx is the most used djent preamp because some popular bands used it for this purpose.

Marketing rules.
Quote by jmaguire
An amp pretending to be an amp, pretending to be an amp.

Yes, indeed. It would be a little counter-productive, but I only meant you could.

The Kemper is a great unit, as is the Axe FX. Both have strengths, both have weaknesses. Try them both and see what suits you best. If you want to play "djent" on a Kemper, I'm pretty sure dozens of people have made profiles of all the amplifiers commonly used in the genre.
Quote by Sethis
Axe Fx is the most used djent preamp because some popular bands used it for this purpose.

Marketing rules.

The AXE Fx is the most used djent preamp because the trademark djent sound was created with that, thus it's the easiest way of obtaining that sound.

It kinda has a lot of cool features that most preamps don't have, like a way to boost mids before the preamp, high and low pass filters...

To do such thing using a real amp you would need at least a couple pedals, and still it wouldn't sound the same because of the tubes which produce a cool distortion indeed, but they can't get you that kinda artificial djent sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The AXE Fx is the most used djent preamp because the trademark djent sound was created with that, thus it's the easiest way of obtaining that sound.

It kinda has a lot of cool features that most preamps don't have, like a way to boost mids before the preamp, high and low pass filters...

To do such thing using a real amp you would need at least a couple pedals, and still it wouldn't sound the same because of the tubes which produce a cool distortion indeed, but they can't get you that kinda artificial djent sound.

i agree with Sethis, i don't mean to be too much a dick but that just sounds like classic salesman brain washing there. even if 'djent' is characterized by 'digital sounding' guitars, there was PLENTY of digital distortion/amp emulation devices before Axe-Fx came out.

i seriously doubt Axe-Fx created 'djent'. but they certainly seemed to attach their name to it pretty effectively.

the features Axe-Fx offers can be offered by any digital audio workstation (or other software) so it'd only make sense for Axe-Fx to also offer it (since it is all digital and everything).

edit: it's a pretty tall claim to say 'you can only get that sound from Axe-Fx', even Misha Mansoor still uses real amps (as well as Axe-Fx)

For amplification, he mainly uses digital amp modeling units. He has used the Fractal Audio Axe FX both live and in the studio since the recording of the first Periphery album, and also uses a Line 6 POD X3 on occasion. As well as this, for home practice, he owns EVH, Bogner and Blackstar amp heads, which he runs into a custom Zilla cab. In the past he used ENGL and Diezel amplification for live use, along with a multitude of pedals controlled by a switching system.

i will say Axe-Fx may be able to attain your desired tone, but don't drink too much of the cool-aid. they are in the market to sell you something, it is your job to become knowledgeable and sift through the BS.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by Spambot_2

If you know that the Axe does exactly what you want why not just get it?
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Because I'm always looking to get the best product I can get for the cash I spend. It's expensive as hell and you can get the job done with much less.

To be honest, it's not even about the AxeFx's sound that these guys use it...as I said it's marketing. There really isn't anything special in the djent sound. It's mostly about the player.
Quote by Sethis

Marketing rules.

Well said. Most of these artists use real amps in the studio but record a few marketing vids with these for promotion.
The Axe-FX has some weird crap going on in the midrange, which makes all of its high gain models sound like "djent" almost instantly. Personally, I hate it and spent the better part of 7 month trying to dial that gross midrange out. Finally ended up selling it and bought a Kemper, which totally slays the Axe-FX for amp tones IMO. It's indistinguishable from the real amp, if you profile it correctly, the only place the Axe-FX really beats it is in flexibility with all the routing options, and effects. Personally, I could care less about most of that. The Kemper reacts like a real amp and you're able to dial it in just like you would any other amp, the Axe-FX requires you to go through a billion menus and submenus, clicking a bunch of buttons and turning knobs. You start spending more time dialing in your tone than actually playing guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Axe-FX has some weird crap going on in the midrange, which makes all of its high gain models sound like "djent" almost instantly.

Very well said. I bought a Boss GT-10 modeler (for the fx, not preamp) and on their forum it is referred as "the cocked wah". Something nasty and congested is going on in the Fractal Axe-FX that just screams "fake" when you hear it on a track.
Quote by Spambot_2

The Axe Fx wasn't out until 2006. All of the bands that pioneered the 'djent' sound released albums YEARS before the Axe ever came to fruition.

So really, no, the Axe wasn't used to create the trademark sound, if you truly think about it.
Of course, now it's common for it, but real amps were used in the beginning.

The indeed can get that djent sound
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by diabolical
Very well said. I bought a Boss GT-10 modeler (for the fx, not preamp) and on their forum it is referred as "the cocked wah". Something nasty and congested is going on in the Fractal Axe-FX that just screams "fake" when you hear it on a track.

I have one and have never had this problem.
I think that sound comes from people not knowing how to EQ most of the time.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab