I used to play a bit of bass and really enjoyed it but the bass I was using was borrowed so I had to give it back after a year and haven't replaced it since. So I'm looking for a four string fairly standard right handed instrument of decent quality. I don't want to spend more than £200 ($300) that's just for the guitar without an amp or any accessories. So, any suggestions?
Ibanez GSR 200?
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Second hand Ibanez SR300.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I picked up an Ibanez GSR 200 last year and it seems to be working pretty well. I'm pretty much using it for Rocksmith but so far no problems with playing.
Squier VM Jazz or Precision bass. I haven't played one but I've heard nothing but good things about them and the lower GSR Ibanez basses always turned me off.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I'd go for the Squier - you can get them cheap and I have an Ibanez GSR200 as well and although it's a pretty good bass, the Squier just seems to go that extra mile - the control knobs are metal not plastic, the pickup covers are a lot more comfortable to rest your thumb on, it has a beafier sound, it just generally feels better to me
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by archerygenious
I'd go for the Squier - you can get them cheap and I have an Ibanez GSR200 as well and although it's a pretty good bass, the Squier just seems to go that extra mile - the control knobs are metal not plastic, the pickup covers are a lot more comfortable to rest your thumb on, it has a beafier sound, it just generally feels better to me

It's funny you should say that, I personally find the exact opposite. My old GSR190 (now fretless) always sounded/played better than any Squier/fender I've ever had in my mitts. The Squier jazzes always felt a bit cumbersome and barbaric to me. Suppose it's all just personal preference....

Really OP just needs to go out and try some entry-level basses and decide what they like.
Quote by Karl Marx
All personal taste really. I find the Ibanez really easy to play and it has a fair range of sounds for the money. The Squiers are nice too of course - I love the VM Jag with the HB in the bridge.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

If you can wait a bit longer try to find a used MIM P or J bass. It can take a bit longer to find but it's worth it.
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch
Quote by Wetstra
If you can wait a bit longer try to find a used MIM P or J bass. It can take a bit longer to find but it's worth it.

Squier VM>Fender MIM, if I recall correctly.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
Squier VM>Fender MIM, if I recall correctly.

Not necessarily, a used MIM>Anything Squier. It's not a quality thing, it's more of a price-quality ratio issue.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
It's funny you should say that, I personally find the exact opposite. My old GSR190 (now fretless) always sounded/played better than any Squier/fender I've ever had in my mitts. The Squier jazzes always felt a bit cumbersome and barbaric to me. Suppose it's all just personal preference....

Really OP just needs to go out and try some entry-level basses and decide what they like.

Haha
Yep, all personal preference! I think the main thing that gets me about it is that the pickup cover has sharp corners that dig in a lot, still a good bass otherwise. But yeah, really the OP should just try both

EDIT: I'm sure compared to the low-end Squiers the Ibanez wins hands down though
EDIT 2: Also, the active bass boost might appeal, but on the other hand some people are against relying on batteries to get the sound they're looking for
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

Last edited by archerygenious at Aug 4, 2013,
Quote by archerygenious
Haha
Yep, all personal preference! I think the main thing that gets me about it is that the pickup cover has sharp corners that dig in a lot, still a good bass otherwise. But yeah, really the OP should just try both

EDIT: I'm sure compared to the low-end Squiers the Ibanez wins hands down though
EDIT 2: Also, the active bass boost might appeal, but on the other hand some people are against relying on batteries to get the sound they're looking for

I'm sure that compared to an Ibanez GSR a Fender Custom Shop wins hands down; but that's an irrelevant discussion.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm sure that compared to an Ibanez GSR a Fender Custom Shop wins hands down; but that's an irrelevant discussion.

Oh obviously, no doubt about that and if anyone thinks otherwise then they must have *very* peculiar personal preferences...

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm sure that compared to an Ibanez GSR a Fender Custom Shop wins hands down

I don't doubt that. But then again, based on personal preference: Ibanez grooveline > Fender Custom.

Top and bottom of this thread is that we can suggest basses for OP to try, but they really have to go and get some hands-on time with several of them.
Quote by Karl Marx
What he said ^^ If your in he low end of the market, Ibanez, Squier and maybe Peavey are your best bets (IMO). not all will suit your hands, your ears or your style.