I have literally no idea what I want to do with my life.. Is anyone just as lost as I am?

I originally wanted to join the police or fire service but they NEVER hire. I had the idea of being a music teacher as well but I really don't want to go to uni....so confused
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
I feel ya.

Thats why Ill never have kids. Thats just rude to throw me in this shit called world without asking me. >
You need to do more work experience in any areas. You don't know what to do because you haven't done enough. Best advice would be to do lots of short internships in any areas. You don't know what you like until you try it.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Work/intern in different areas while acquiring skills that are applicable to many different fields. That's what I'm doing now. I still don't know what I'm going to do in the future but at least I have an idea of what I enjoy doing and what I'm good at.
cat
Don't worry, I've never decided what I want to do when I grow up either.

FWIW, a lot of Police forces these days only recruit from their Specials. If that really is what you want to do, I'd recommend getting any old job to pay the bills, then apply to become a Special in your spare time. Next time they go on a recruitment drive, you'll stand a good chance of getting taken on as a proper copper.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I've completed my Mechanical Engineering course (my retake exam is the decider between a 2:1 (HONS) or an ordinary degree

Although I may (or may not) have a good outcome which looks good on CVs, I HATE the subject now. It has put me off entirely. What I want to do now is video editing starting with a YouTube channel and working my way up somehow. I'll apply for engineering based jobs in the mean time because the money is pretty decent but I don't want it as a career anymore. Can't stand the thought of it.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
I've completed my Mechanical Engineering course (my retake exam is the decider between a 2:1 (HONS) or an ordinary degree

Although I may (or may not) have a good outcome which looks good on CVs, I HATE the subject now. It has put me off entirely. What I want to do now is video editing starting with a YouTube channel and working my way up somehow. I'll apply for engineering based jobs in the mean time because the money is pretty decent but I don't want it as a career anymore. Can't stand the thought of it.

So are you actually going to be a doctor?

I'm starting my Master degree soon.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by leony03

Quote by leony03

I'm in a similar situation.

I've just graduated from Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I was hoping to get a master's degree, but because I failed my final year, I'm getting some random title that's really more of a consolation prize than a legitimate qualification.

I'm really burned out on engineering. I don't want to do it, and I'm not even sure if I'm capable of having a career in it. However, I can't think of any alternatives. I'll take whatever I can get at this point. I suppose you learn on the job.
Im working fast food, barely touching dick heads with a junior college due to not being able to file as an independent unless i kill my parents, knock up my gf, mary her or join the military. my parents make too much for me to qualify but as a family of 5 we cant afford shit. so because i cant get any ****ing financial aid i cant attend college. i just sit around at home playing guitar and read into physics, something i stopped doing recently because no college is disappointing. if you have any opportunities take them because not everybody gets those. i think my only option is get damn good at guitar, pick up a gimmick, and see how far i can get.
Quote by sashki

I've just graduated from Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I was hoping to get a master's degree, but because I failed my final year, I'm getting some random title that's really more of a consolation prize than a legitimate qualification.

I'm really burned out on engineering. I don't want to do it, and I'm not even sure if I'm capable of having a career in it. However, I can't think of any alternatives. I'll take whatever I can get at this point. I suppose you learn on the job.

I totally feel this. I've chosen a product design course as a compromise after studying mechanical engineering for years. I actually want to be a therapist.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I totally feel this. I've chosen a product design course as a compromise after studying mechanical engineering for years. I actually want to be a therapist.

When did you decide that you want to be a therapist, and what stopped you from studying something relevant to that profession?
You're definitely not alone. I've still no idea what the "REAL" world will bring, but music still consumes my soul daily and nightly.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I'm not positive what I want to do, but I'm already pot committed.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by sashki
When did you decide that you want to be a therapist, and what stopped you from studying something relevant to that profession?

I changed my mind a couple of years ago, the reason why I carried on doing engineering-related courses was partly for financial reasons. If I was going to change my subject of study, I would have to pay the full £9000 per year charge, which I cannot afford. I carried on doing engineering because I get to keep my old contract of £4500 per year, which I can afford.

The second reason is simply due to the fact that I have no qualifications to get me into university level studying psychology.

I've had an interest in psychology for a while now, i've just not had the doors open to me yet.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Interesting answers.

I like the idea of apprenticeships, definitely going to look into that. Maybe an IT one.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by BladeSlinger
So are you actually going to be a doctor?

I'm starting my Master degree soon.

I already am a Doctor. I will be a Bachelor of Engineering after this

Quote by Masquirina

What?

Quote by sashki

Yeah I was thinking about upgrading to a Masters at the start but then as it went on, I grew to hate it more and more haha. I didn't mind the coursework but I hated everything else being a lecture and no actual practical anything. We had like 8 labs a year and they were mostly sitting around waiting for something to happen and record results. Most hands on stuff we did was vacuum forming which I did back in secondary school.

Thats the exact same with me! If I fail this exam, I get an Ordinary Degree which is essentially a 4th because its lower than a 3rd but its not called that. Stupid thing is if I pass it, I get a 2:1 with Honours (don't really know what Honours means but its apparently better). I don't even need a decent mark in it because it takes my 60% best marks from 3rd year and 40% best marks from 2nd year which is roughly 61% overall already.

We were given no actual experience of the industry at all. Just lame-ass physics and maths questions. At this point, I just want some sort of job to bring some money in to fund other stuff I want to do

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Jul 29, 2013,
Quote by leony03
I already am a Doctor. I will be a Bachelor of Engineering after this

But are you getting a doctorate?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by leony03
Yeah I was thinking about upgrading to a Masters at the start but then as it went on, I grew to hate it more and more haha. I didn't mind the coursework but I hated everything else being a lecture and no actual practical anything. We had like 8 labs a year and they were mostly sitting around waiting for something to happen and record results. Most hands on stuff we did was vacuum forming which I did back in secondary school.

Thats the exact same with me! If I fail this exam, I get an Ordinary Degree which is essentially a 4th because its lower than a 3rd but its not called that. Stupid thing is if I pass it, I get a 2:1 with Honours (don't really know what Honours means but its apparently better). I don't even need a decent mark in it because it takes my 60% best marks from 3rd year and 40% best marks from 2nd year which is roughly 61% overall already.

We were given no actual experience of the industry at all. Just lame-ass physics and maths questions. At this point, I just want some sort of job to bring some money in to fund other stuff I want to do

dafuq? That's what mech labs are like? Sounds like chem. I'm in EE myself, and our labs are busy as hell. As for the experience thing you really need to do internships. I'm just finishing mine right now (in software for some reason... little choice, and it's awful) and you definitely do learn everything on the job. Your degree is just so you have a vague idea of what can be done and it shows you're capable of learning technical material. Some of my friends got really good jobs for their internships, so I suspect with a little luck things get better over time.
Quote by BladeSlinger
But are you getting a doctorate?

Not for this no. Don't need one though.

Quote by Avedas
dafuq? That's what mech labs are like? Sounds like chem. I'm in EE myself, and our labs are busy as hell. As for the experience thing you really need to do internships. I'm just finishing mine right now (in software for some reason... little choice, and it's awful) and you definitely do learn everything on the job. Your degree is just so you have a vague idea of what can be done and it shows you're capable of learning technical material. Some of my friends got really good jobs for their internships, so I suspect with a little luck things get better over time.

Thats what OUR mech labs are like We did some soldering but it was just soldering a few wires to a board and no components so it was completely pointless. My friend who lives in Canada does Engineering Physics and he has done a shit tonne of practical stuff like a USB fan and a basic refrigeration system.

I made a vacuum formed car. McLaren will be dying to employ me!!

I did try and get a year work placement but the one I had been accepted for couldn't secure funding for the project I was going to work on and it was too late to find anything else so I just went into my final year. Yeah, I get told about that you learn on the job. Maybe I do find something and enjoy it but I haven't enjoyed the units on the basics of engineering or been any good at it so I'm not too sure haha.

Quote by angusfan16
Don't where you've looked concerning the police force, but if you search for jobs throughout the whole united states, you'll find work. If you've gone to school for it, like I am now, then it will be easier.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
How old are you? I'm guessing you're young. In which case, I wouldn't worry about it. You have time and some freedom to try out different things. Unless you have a family, any setbacks you experience don't really count as debilitating (unless you kill yourself or get arrested along the way).

Start worrying when you're closing in on your forties and still have no clue.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by leony03
Thats what OUR mech labs are like We did some soldering but it was just soldering a few wires to a board and no components so it was completely pointless. My friend who lives in Canada does Engineering Physics and he has done a shit tonne of practical stuff like a USB fan and a basic refrigeration system.

I made a vacuum formed car. McLaren will be dying to employ me!!

I did try and get a year work placement but the one I had been accepted for couldn't secure funding for the project I was going to work on and it was too late to find anything else so I just went into my final year. Yeah, I get told about that you learn on the job. Maybe I do find something and enjoy it but I haven't enjoyed the units on the basics of engineering or been any good at it so I'm not too sure haha.

Yeah, in general the classes can be really dry and are often outdated. I learned assembly programming for a Motorola microcontroller from the mid 90s. School is shit, but projects are cool and useful. I'm still holding out for that.
I've already finished college and I still have no clue what the **** I'm doing

loldebt
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Chris3235
I had the idea of being a music teacher as well but I really don't want to go to uni....so confused

Is it just me or does every single "what should I do" thread always end with "I want to be a music teacher" ??

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Is it just me or does every single "what should I do" thread always end with "I want to be a music teacher" ??

welcome to guitar site?
everyone that doesn't know what they want to do with their lives should go into IT or IP telephony because:

-It's not that hard
-Everyone likes computers to a certain extent
-You can still choose a company to work for based on your likes (everyone needs IT techs... Imagine being a tech for fender?)
-It's in great demand
-It pays well.

**** all that "oh I don't know what to do with my life" bullshit. Learn how to make computers/networks/programs/phones work and you're set for life with an easy job that pays well and doesn't take too much of your time
Become a professional body builder. If you don't make it, at least you can become a male stripper. Or body guard. Or club bouncer.
Quote by kikaykitko
How old are you? I'm guessing you're young. In which case, I wouldn't worry about it. You have time and some freedom to try out different things. Unless you have a family, any setbacks you experience don't really count as debilitating (unless you kill yourself or get arrested along the way).

Start worrying when you're closing in on your forties and still have no clue.

I used to think this. I'm currently 38 without any idea what I want to be when I grow up.

I have postponed caring until at least my 50s.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud