Poll: Do you download music without purchasing it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you download music without purchasing it?
Yes
74 49%
No
31 20%
Sometimes
47 31%
Voters: 152.
Page 1 of 4
As part of my Reflective Project in my IBCC course, my project is to research and analyse and support my question with evidence; which "to what extent is downloading music online unethical?" . This poll is to help me support my research through picking up information from the community. You participating in this poll with help give me a better mark in my project and also give me a better understanding of music downloading in the internet community. You may put down your views of music downloading as you wish as this will also help me. Thanx
Any downloading where the artist has not expressed permission to do so for free is unethical.

Doesn't mean I don't do it.
If I have money I try to buy music. I've recently discovered Bandcamp so I've enjoyed that. I give $5 to the name your price people. If it's some random band that I don't care much about, I might pirate something. If I like it I usually buy the next album.

I don't think pirating is entirely unethical but I think that people should still make an effort to buy some music.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The only time I pirate music is when it's not available for purchase. Like songs that are released on extremely limited edition vinyl or something that found their way onto YouTube or grooveshark.
I never download music. I always buy the CD, then rip it if I want it on my MP3 player.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yes, though I tend to only do it when I'm in a 'music phase', and when I'm in this phase I normally pay for stuff too. But a very large percentage of my music library has been illegally obtained, either through downloading or 'borrowing' from friends.
The easiest way to get decent quality for most of the recent stuff I've listened to has to just buy the cd and rip it myself. Too much hassle looking around for good rips of lesser known stuff.

If it's something popular that's prob making a ton of money anyway or so old that I'd just be padding someone's already deep pockets with royalties, and presuming I can find a decent 320cbr/V.0 rip, I'll just dl it. If I like it, I make a note to buy the hard copy when I have some cash to throw away.

I'd say at least 75% of my library I've paid for in some way, either paying/donating at the time or downloading and buying a cd a while later.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i only buy from artists i know and respect already...to make up for the stuff i already downloaded from them.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Sadly, I download it. But when I want to buy a CD, it's always unavailable in my country or the store doesn't have it right now. *hipster mode activated* You know, I listen to the unpopular, not "pop" stuff.
I think of music as an artform. If you dont buy the real thing, you have to buy a fake or download a jpeg. fakes are very cheap, jpegs are free. what does this mean? cd's need to go extinct. all forms of music need to exist as vinyl, which needs to come with stickers, posters, accessories and cool awesome coloured vinyl; or as digital download (which will come with the vinyl for ipods and other mp3 players). the vinyl will be $10 no more, the digital download will be $5 no more. none of this 15 dollar bullshit, cds are way too expensive. nobody wants them anyway. theyre pointless these days.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think of music as an artform. If you dont buy the real thing, you have to buy a fake or download a jpeg. fakes are very cheap, jpegs are free. what does this mean? cd's need to go extinct. all forms of music need to exist as vinyl, which needs to come with stickers, posters, accessories and cool awesome coloured vinyl; or as digital download (which will come with the vinyl for ipods and other mp3 players). the vinyl will be $10 no more, the digital download will be $5 no more. none of this 15 dollar bullshit, cds are way too expensive. nobody wants them anyway. theyre pointless these days.

vinyl is shit for quality tho.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 29, 2013,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

A 78 year old in the body of a child. There's too many of these.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It's true. and anyone who says otherwise is full of crap and needs to get on my audiophile level.

and when it comes to digital rips, gimme a clean wav to flac conversion from a cd over some 'perfect' vinyl rip that is prone to all kinds errors and skips. anyone who goes on about the 'warm' sound are just hearing a bunch of muddy mids and interpreting that as 'character' and likewise anyone who says that digital takes away frequencies needs to go read about frequency range on lossless audio, actual frequency range of human hearing and the range of frequencies pressed into the limited surface area of vinyls.

If I want 'warmth' in my music I'll boost the mids on my headphone amp's eq.

Both vinyls and CDs suffer issues from durability and longevity though, I worry that some of my older stuff will one day be unreadable.

edit: oh you cheeky bich you changed your post.

edit2: no spidermans. I demand it.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i pay whats worth paying for, which is about half of what i own, music or otherwise

if i pirated it, it's their own fault for it being too shit or too expensive, everything has a value, the price should match it
Quote by theguitarist
vinyl is shit for quality tho.

i like the clackles, but from what iv experienced, vinyl sounds like the band is literally right in my bedroom.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
i like the clackles, but from what iv experienced, vinyl sounds like the band is literally right in my bedroom.

So does adjusting your output eq.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I download my fair share of music, but I make sure to buy the music, merch, and tickets from the bands I want to support the most, if I can afford it.
When it comes to vinyl vs. digital music, I don't think there is an objectively better choice. You can argue all day about whether or not the difference can be perceived by the human ear, but people will still claim to hear a difference whether there is one or not.

The way I see it, there is no right or wrong way to enjoy music, as long as you can afford it.
Quote by theguitarist
So does adjusting your output eq.

are you guys too cool for vinyl or something? do you get happier when your download completes than getting back from the record store and cracking open a fresh new PBX funicular zone EP on vinyl?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
are you guys too cool for vinyl or something? do you get happier when your download completes than getting back from the record store and cracking open a fresh new PBX funicular zone EP on vinyl?

I've thrown about £400 into a good portable audio set-up, vinyl's quality level just doesn't meet my standards. The frequencies just aren't balanced to my ear, I prefer things neutral and clean so I can add my own eq choices later.

Record stores barely exist anymore here, everyone shares music online. Most of my latest purchases have been only available direct from the artist/label as well. As soon as I've opened a cd, pored over it's artwork and then ripped it, it goes in a cupboard never to be seen again so it being in a larger sized version doesn't do much for me.

I'm not saying vinyl is worthless, I'm okay with vinyl as a collector's item, with the interesting pressings and artwork. Ideally a vinyl should come with a free flac rip so audio pervs aren't getting screwed.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I did mention how vinyl needs to be like they did back in the day, should have posters and stickers to collect. but i never adjust eq, its tampering with the original song and how it was supposed to be heard. vinyl always sounds amazing, unless its old and the record player sucks and everything gets dampened. but vinyl sounds best when the music was recorded with analogue methods rather than digital. otherwise its kinda against the point.
Well you do realise that different speakers, amps and headphones all change the sound of the song? So you will often get used to a certain sound and on buying new gear, you might have to play with EQ to make it listenable to you. Unless you were there at the mastering process, you may never know 'exactly' how it was meant to be heard.

I mean I don't usually use EQ myself but when I upgraded my amp recently, while the bass and everything else was much improved to my liking, I had to use it to give the high end a tiny boost and the low mids a reduction as I was used to that from my previous set up.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 4