I'm moving out to university soon, and the insurance on my accommodation sucks, and my parents house insurance isn't great ether, meaning that if any gear is stolen, I'll only get a maximum of £800 compensation. With that in mind, I don't want to take ether of my current guitars to uni with me. I currently own a schecter c1 atx and an american standard strat. In the Uk they are both expensive guitars so I'm going to keep them at home and use them only if I get gigs or go home.

I'm not studying music, I'm just aiming to take a guitar to uni with me to keep up with my hobby, I usually play casually but like to jam with friends and occasionally stand in for my friends at gigs.

I'm taking a blackstar ht 5 amp with me, think anything louder would annoy my future flat mates.

I have a budget of around £200-£300 ($300-$450, around 250 to 350 euros), which can be stretched a little but not much, and I'm looking for a good standard guitar for this money. I'd prefer new, but used is an option if I can try the guitar out.
I play mainly hard rock, I like bands like avenged sevenfold and disturbed, I play some metal like maiden, and sometimes venture into classic rock. Very occasionally I play less distorted music like dire straits.
So far I have been looking getting a schecter omen 6, but can't seem to find any UK stores to try one out. I'm partial to trying out ibanez, but when I last looked around a shop I have to admit not knowing much about them, and would like to be suggested a nice model to look at.
I like a superstrat sort of styled guitar, passive pickups and am avoiding a floating bridge at this price level.

Which guitars should I be considering?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :-)
Last edited by n0ir at Jul 29, 2013,
i've seen pretty good prices on the yamaha pacifica 311H recently (like around £250). Might be worth a try. I haven't tried it, though, I'm just going by the other pacificas I've tried. Also, from what I hear it has a pretty narrow nut width, so you'd probably want to try it first to make sure you get along with the neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I did see a few pacificas in a music store, I'll go back and give them a try, I like the look of the pups on the 311h
See if you can find a Godin Redline HB- these superstrats are made in Canada with good QC, their stock passive HBs are relatively hot, and go for about $490 new here in the USA.

http://godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm

A little outside the box is is Reverend Jetstream:

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/2012a09a06reverend/reverend

The only downside to that suggestion is I think that might be their price only- new Reverends don't usually go that low- and I don't know if they ship overseas.

That said, I wouldn't be that concerned about someone stealing my guitar. Guitars are bulky. Most people who rob dorm rooms are looking for light, portable stuff they can grab and stuff in their pants or a bag- cash, jewelry, small electronic items...

I had a (cheap) acoustic starter guitar when I was in college, but I had a lot of friends who were music majors & gigging musicians. They played all kinds of stuff, ranging from beat up guitars & basses to small but pricey high-end flutes. Not a one had a single issue.

The guys who steal music gear are usually looking to hit at a gig, when they can grab a bunch of stuff from an unguarded or unlocked van or loading bay. The main exception is when they clean the place out to the walls. But then, the loss of an insturment may be the least of your worries.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 29, 2013,
Get a white squier strat or an ephiphone les Paul. You're off to college and you need to get chicks.
I may not know that much about guitars, but I know girls well enough to know what they think looks hot.
Fernandes is a company I like- I own a Ravelle Elite, and am considering others- and they are selling the entry-level X versions of their models on fairly deep discount: $299, and about $140 more with a hardshell case. These below are all hardtails, too.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vertigo/33-vertigo-x.html

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/x-series/29-dragonfly-x.html

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/27-monterey-x.html

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/30-ravelle-x.html

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-vortex-x.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 30, 2013,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I do like the godin superstrats but here in the UK they seem to be difficult to find and a bit more expensive The Fernandes dragonfly x would be worth a look, again its all about finding one haha :P
I guess the epi les paul suggestion is fair, studio in white does look nice, will see a few of those today on the way back from work.

That said, I wouldn't be that concerned about someone stealing my guitar. Guitars are bulky. Most people who rob dorm rooms are looking for light, portable stuff they can grab and stuff in their pants or a bag- cash, jewelry, small electronic items...

Yeah, I guess I'm being over cautious, but there's a bit of a reputation about the halls of residence I'll be in for my first year, I have a friend who has had a desktop computer stolen, and by someone who wasn't even at the uni :P
Last edited by n0ir at Jul 30, 2013,
get a cheap good looking one, and buy condoms....in bulk
All about the mids!!!!!!!
Quote by SteveJB1989
get a cheap good looking one, and buy condoms....in bulk

Haha, my girlfriend already makes me buy in bulk ^^
Two things that immediately spring to mind are

-an old Squier from when they were amazing. They sell for around £300 used and will usually outplay a £1000 US Fender
-a second hand MIM.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Fender Made In Mexico. Not noobish at all. I should have specified!
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
ahh okay thanks for the suggestions, I'll look for a second hand one, and maybe a few squiers if I see any olds
I second the Godin, but good lord they sell much cheaper in the USA than here in Canada. Makes no sense.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by n0ir
Haha, my girlfriend already makes me buy in bulk ^^

My girlfriend makes me buy big ones because of my bulk haha
All about the mids!!!!!!!
My girlfriend doesn't make me buy condoms in bulk...

But everyone else's girlfriend does.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
My girlfriend doesn't make me buy condoms in bulk...

But everyone else's girlfriend does.

Aha, I like your style

You best not live near me ;D
mexican fender strat. built like tanks, wont kill you if it breaks.

FLAT HEADSTOCK. if it falls, gets beat up, banged into walls in close quarters etc.

A flat headstock makes a tank of a guitar!!!!! think of you took a gibson / epiphone and it was leaning on a wall, slides off and falls directly on the back of the headstock.

your gibson needs hundred in repair. your epiphone effectively became a elmer's wood glue wall decoration.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)