(Moved this thread to this forum, thought it could fit better here)
I feel like I want to give a DIY guitar kit a try, thinking an SG.
This would be my first guitar building experience, but I need some recommendations.

I've searched around a bit and I've landed on this a few times now
http://www.bulldogbodies.com/DC-S-Guitar-Kit-DC-S.htm

I've got a 24,75" scale length on my current guitar, and it suits my preferences.

This kit deosn't come with any electronics, only wood and backplate, as you can see on the website, so I'll buy it on the side. (I'm thinking it could turn out better so I wont have cheap electronics sent with some other kit)

The only thing I'm concerned about would be the placing of the bridge, to get the string length right? It is possible to order this with bridge and tail holes drilled, which would take away that concern.

So I'm asking you, would this is a good idea? To me, it seems like it could be a fun project.

All opinions are highly appreciated!
Go here and you will save $75 and you get all the hardware, but you don't have to use it all. www.guitarfetish.com/Guitar-And-Bass-Kits_c_74.html

They have a mahogany kit for $200 or a basswood for $159

They also have good inexpensive hardware, tuners and pickups
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 29, 2013,
If you approach this as a learning opportunity and as a fun project, I can't see any downside. Even if you make an utterly crappy guitar out of it, you will have learned something about guitar making and yourself. Maybe that means you never build another one, or maybe its your first step to becoming a luthier.

Only way to find out is to take that first step.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
For a first guitar, I'd just go with something basic for a finish. However, that's all I can advise you- it would be charitable to say that I am NOT handy with tools.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm thinking of going for a white body and neck, I've always liked those kind of SG's.

Is it possible to get a somewhat nice result from spray painting it with spray cans? I don't have alot of fancy tools for this, just a basic workshop.

And for the tail piece? How would I figure out where to place it?
maybe use a template? i would think a kit would come with one but i'm sure you could find one online somewhere.

i asked the mods to move this to the guitar building and customizing section.

more people there do this kind of thing.

also if you take the proper steps in preparing the wood prior to paint, it should come out nice if you do a good job painting it, however you choose to do so. plenty of people get decent paint jobs from spray cans.

it's all about the practice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
maybe use a template? i would think a kit would come with one but i'm sure you could find one online somewhere.

i asked the mods to move this to the guitar building and customizing section.

more people there do this kind of thing.

also if you take the proper steps in preparing the wood prior to paint, it should come out nice if you do a good job painting it, however you choose to do so. plenty of people get decent paint jobs from spray cans.

it's all about the practice.

Yeah, it's just that I've watched a few building guitars on youtube, and they stringed up the guitar in some way to find the right length.

How would I prepare the wood?
well you would want the bridge saddles to be 24.75 inches from nut as that is your scale length. i'm sure there are templates you could find online. i'll defer to others that have built similar kits to answer you though.

finishing questions answered here.

good luck, do a build thread if you decide to make one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
well you would want the bridge saddles to be 24.75 inches from nut as that is your scale length. i'm sure there are templates you could find online. i'll defer to others that have built similar kits to answer you though.

finishing questions answered here.

good luck, do a build thread if you decide to make one.

Alright, thanks!

I will