i know nothing about guitars, i'll be honest, im a bassist and im sticking to that. my friend is considering either a line 6 head/cab or a combo amp, ill provide the links. we tried the head/cab out and liked it. the thing is, i seriously doubt we will use it for anything besides a bass/guitar jam sessions and maybe an occasional drummer joining in. small shows might be a possibility but doubt it but, would like an amp to be able to perform for small shows. do u think either of these is a HUGE difference or are they pretty close? what are your reasons??

[forbidden link]

or

[forbidden link]
Last edited by tr0nn at Jul 29, 2013,
What are they, you are not allowed to post links yet.

If it is a Line 6 Spider you can get better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 150W and 4x12 Guitar Half Stack

or a

Line 6 Spider IV 120 120W 2x10 Guitar Combo Amp Black

sorry, didnt know u cant post liks

we wanna stay around $700 max and something with built i effects would be nice (with an on/off feature)
Last edited by tr0nn at Jul 29, 2013,
Do you have any other amps available to you?

Where are you located?
What type of music?
New or used?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
were in san jose, ca.
were playing hard rock in the style of alice n chains
new
how many watts would u say i can get away with?
Get a Jet City JCA 22/50/100/100hdm

These amps are based on the Soldano amps that JC has used for years.

If you are just jamming the JCA 22 would be just fine. If you plan on giging the JCA 50 or larger would be great

Don't pay retail though go here they have a great 30 day return policy on used gear. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a Jet City JCA 22/50/100/100hdm

These amps are based on the Soldano amps that JC has used for years.

If you are just jamming the JCA 22 would be just fine. If you plan on giging the JCA 50 or larger would be great

Don't pay retail though go here they have a great 30 day return policy on used gear. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

THIS
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by tr0nn
were in san jose, ca.
were playing hard rock in the style of alice n chains
new
how many watts would u say i can get away with?

I live in SJ too. For that kind of money, you can find something much better than a Line 6. Lots of guys on this forum love the Peavey Vypyr amps, always hearing great things about them. The Guitar Center on Stevens Creek is sort of hit or miss whether they have any really decent amps, but you could try Guitar Showcase on Bascom Ave near Camden, or The Starving Musician 3 blocks north of GC on Stevens Creek Blvd.
There's also King Amplification out by SJ airport. Val King does lots of repair work & makes amps also. He's always got cool stuff lying around for sale.

Depending on how loud your drummer is, 20-30 watts in a tube amp should be plenty for most situations. I use a 1X12 20W combo for almost every gig I play.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jul 29, 2013,
I gigged with a 36 watt tube 112 amp for years, and it was more then enough amp for what I needed.

I even played a couple of small bar show (100-125 people) with it unmiced, and it held its own against my buddies classic 50 410.

You'll likly be miced at any larger venues, so really you would likly be fine with a 5watt tube amp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Why these amps exactly?

I'd point you to look at the Peavey ValveKing series or one of the other Peavey tube amps/combos.

Modeling is OK for bedroom jamming but usually lacks punch when it comes to having to compete with drummers, plus tube sounds a lot better.
If your friend is looking for a versatile, giggable rig on a budget, then it'd be best to look for a good tube combo amp and a good multi-fx unit.

I would suggest something like the Jet City amps previously mentioned, or something like a Blackstar. I've been fairly impressed by those amps recently. A few options to consider:

Jet City Combo

Blackstar Combo

As far as effects go, best bet would be something from Line 6. Either an HD 400/500 or M13, depending on whether or not he wants to use a wah/volume/expression pedal available.

POD HD 400

M13

Hope that helps!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray