I am trading my friend for his ENGL 530 pre amp and a power amp. I want to move everything to my rack and get rid of my head. I am a little concerned as I do not know guitar like I should.. I just play it.

I run a decimator and maximizer though my effect loop on my 6505. Is it the same concept on the ENGL 530? Is the loop on that or the power amp? I am a little confused where the effect loop sits and how i would be able to hook up properly.

I have BBE Sonic Maximizer and a Decimator Pro Rack G that runs through the effects loop. My delay is outside of the loop in front of the amp.

Looking at it is a little confusing. I see a FX return. Is the send the one next to it?
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/7803/Engl-E-530-Pre-Amp-/#
Last edited by hxcmetal724 at Jul 29, 2013,
Most standard amps have an FX loop that slots in between the preamp and the power amp. You don't really need the FX loop because you can just run a cable from the preamp to the decimator/maximizer and then on to the power amp.

I've been using this kind of system for years. I've still got both a Mesa Triaxis and a Carvin Quad-X preamp. Both are heavily tube-oriented, of course (the Carvin actually has NINE 12AX7 tubes, the Triaxis five or six). The Carvin has four channels, active controls, a built in noise gate, a built in bass cloak (HPF), built in boost, spring reverb, four different choices of cascading tube gain (up to 11 stages!), a five band assignable EQ in addition to the parametrics, MIDI controls and six, count-em, six FX loops including one each for the four channels and both a serial and a parallel for the mains. Oh, and a 4x12 emulator in case you're going directly to the PA mixer.

These days the choice of preamp includes the various Pods (HD, X3, XT beans, Live (floor pedal) units and either a Pod HD Pro or an older Axe FX Ultra. Power amp was a 100W Carvin TS-100 stereo 50W/50W tube amp (EL34s or 6L6), but these days it's a Carvin DCM1540L (740W/740W solid state) or an HD1500 (1500W Class D stereo power amp).
Quote by dspellman
Most standard amps have an FX loop that slots in between the preamp and the power amp. You don't really need the FX loop because you can just run a cable from the preamp to the decimator/maximizer and then on to the power amp.

So you mean run a cable from Preamp -> maximizer -> decimator -> poweramp rather than running pre->power and then a separate loop for the decimator/maximizer?
A series effects loop literally does go between the pre amp and power amp of an amp head. I've always thought that to be general rule of thumb for series effects loops. I'm sure that's what the other guy was trying to convey too.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.