they were out of tune too although they
sounded good. Nevertheless I started messing
around and now the strings are really tight... I
can't get past Eb tuning. High E string is a C/D
right now and it's ****ing tight. I don't wanna
break strings AGAIN. Also, the strings detune
within seconds.
What to do?
Take it back to the shop and have them explain it to you.

There's no way a single string is messing up your guitar like that, so something else is going on. Either your tuner is whacked or you're doing something wrong, like tuning an octave up or something odd. I guess perhaps a trem problem could cause this but it seems very unlikely.

What kind of guitar is it?
Quote by Roc8995
Take it back to the shop and have them explain it to you.

There's no way a single string is messing up your guitar like that, so something else is going on. Either your tuner is whacked or you're doing something wrong, like tuning an octave up or something odd. I guess perhaps a trem problem could cause this but it seems very unlikely.

What kind of guitar is it?

A cheap Squier. I don't feel like going back because it would feel awkward and they charge money for services (like tuning). The guy had no reason why the string broke when he did it, he couldn't notice anything on the guitar.
Well, then you're going to have to give us more information. Unless your bridge is messed up there's literally no way that changing one string could cause all of your other strings to suddenly be so tight you physically cannot tune them. That's insane. It's so far outside the norm that something has to be very wrong, which is why I suggested you take it back.

Can you get a video of this, or try to confirm that your tunings are in the right octave?
How do I know if it's the right octave?

Also, might my tuner just be ****ed up? 90% sure I'm using it correctly... It says Key: E btw. Dunno if this is good... An internet friend tought that maybe it was an octave too high too.
I'm sure there's a youtube video or some other reference online that plays the correct pitches. Your tuner only knows notes, not octaves.
Quote by KevinDG
How do I know if it's the right octave?

Also, might my tuner just be ****ed up? 90% sure I'm using it correctly... It says Key: E btw. Dunno if this is good... An internet friend tought that maybe it was an octave too high too.

I doubt your tuner would be messed up, it's more likely that you don't know how to use it.

Go buy a dirt simple tuner like the little KORG ones. (GA-1, CA-1)
Last edited by johnnykbop at Jul 29, 2013,