Ive found sheets on ebay but its so thin 0.15mm which is just like paper. putting these into a guitar neck wouldnt work since the friction would tear them out.
Stumac sell them in individual blocks but they are $9 for 1 tiny block so if i bought 10 to do 10 frets thats $90 which is insane. I wanted to try do something like the vines on an ibanez jem. Where can i cheaply get the mother of pearl sheets to do this?
i dont get why its so expensive to buy though. Ive seen plenty of cheap $99 fender jazz copies that have large block inlays. That amount would cost quite a bit. Ive also see diy jem kits that come with the pearl inlay already in the fretboard and them kits are going for $130 so surely it can be gotten for cheap from somewhere.
Quote by d_ano
i dont get why its so expensive to buy though. Ive seen plenty of cheap $99 fender jazz copies that have large block inlays. That amount would cost quite a bit. Ive also see diy jem kits that come with the pearl inlay already in the fretboard and them kits are going for $130 so surely it can be gotten for cheap from somewhere.

You're paying retail price. They pay wholesale price.

Also if you didn't know, "mother of pearl" is a naturally produced material that comes from certain shellfish. Most cheap guitars use a simulated plastic version commercially known as "pearloid"
Last edited by johnnykbop at Jul 31, 2013,
Quote by johnnykbop
You're paying retail price. They pay wholesale price.

Also if you didn't know, "mother of pearl" is a naturally produced material that comes from certain shellfish. Most cheap guitars use a simulated plastic version commercially known as "pearloid"

ah! i did not know this. pearloid would do the job for me since this will be my first time doing it. any idea where sheets of it can be bought that would be suited for fretboard inlays. all i seem to be finding are scratch plates
Quote by d_ano
ah! i did not know this. pearloid would do the job for me since this will be my first time doing it. any idea where sheets of it can be bought that would be suited for fretboard inlays. all i seem to be finding are scratch plates

19" x 15" sheets are about $100 at Greasy Groove. http://www.greasygroove.com/products.php?cat=1635

4" x 8" sheets are about $25 at Philadelpha Luthier http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/inlays-and-side-dots/pearloid-celluloid-sheet-4-x-8-for-custom-inlays/

That's 285 square inches as opposed to 32 square inches. About nine times the material for four times the price.

There's also the usual 3ply Blank White Pearloid 29cm x 43cm Guitar scratch plate sheets for $15 on eBay.
I wouldn't use pearloid for inlay material, stuff scratches too easily. A lot of those block inlay and such is actually acrylic, Gibson uses a lot of it for various inlays on different things.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]