I have good ideas for songs now, the lyrics are barely a problem, I just take a walk and the ideas flow in. But, when trying to do the music, for the first time ever, I am clueless.

I guess because I usually write sad music, and now these lyrics are more upbeat and happy sounding, so this kind of sucks. They either end up sounding horrible with the chords, are too sad.

Anyways, what are some more upbeat chords? I have tried the major versions of chords, but they don't sound right? The lyrics are more hip-hop or pop than I usually write, so that could be one of the reasons I am having trouble(I usually do rock and gothic metal, but have gotten bored). They sound kind of like Owl City or hate to say it, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, and Tao Cruz(okay with that). While my old lyrics were like Linkin Park or Leaves Eyes.

Any ideas? Guess I could try listening to more music of this genre to get an idea.
Quote by matthewzguitarz
I have good ideas for songs now, the lyrics are barely a problem, I just take a walk and the ideas flow in. But, when trying to do the music, for the first time ever, I am clueless.

I guess because I usually write sad music, and now these lyrics are more upbeat and happy sounding, so this kind of sucks. They either end up sounding horrible with the chords, are too sad.

Anyways, what are some more upbeat chords? I have tried the major versions of chords, but they don't sound right? The lyrics are more hip-hop or pop than I usually write, so that could be one of the reasons I am having trouble(I usually do rock and gothic metal, but have gotten bored). They sound kind of like Owl City or hate to say it, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, and Tao Cruz(okay with that). While my old lyrics were like Linkin Park or Leaves Eyes.

Any ideas? Guess I could try listening to more music of this genre to get an idea.

Start with a beat, that will be your foundation. Perhaps a standard chord guitar part isn't what you need, you could try a guitar riff, a piano part, or even just go for synthesizer effects and stuff like that.

Pop and hip hop are all about the beats though, unlike the type of stuff you're used to making
Yeah.. guess guitar alone isn't really going to do it. I guess I could listen to lecrae on Thursday to get ideas(I just ordered 2 of his albums).