The stepdad of a friend of mine has an old Orange head which im almost 100% sure is an OD120. Neither of them know the specifics of how old or what the exact model of the amp is.

They know ive been interested in acquiring the amp and so have asked me to make an offer. In all honesty i have no idea what that amp is worth because im not even sure what year/model it is.

They live in NJ so i am not able to try it out myself but if it turns out to be the OD120 then id most definitely like to acquire it because i love the tone on that amp.

Any chance the knowledgeable folks here can try to help me out with identifying the amp as well as give an estimate of what it would be worth?

Here are two pics he sent me:

Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Google image found this. How reliable it is I don't know.

By the looks of it, it's from 1998, but it doesn't match up completely. Only superficial stuff though. LED colour and knob size (s******).

As for what it's worth, I got no idea.
give them $500 and walk away with a smile.

It is not a 1998 and it really looks like an old OD80/120
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 29, 2013,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm guessing it's from the late 70s. No idea on the price is though. It's exactly the same as the one on the Orange site:
https://www.orangeamps.com/heritage/legacy-products/1960s-1970s/the-orange-overdrive-od120/

It does seem like its a 70s model....as to which one exactly im not sure lol.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming if you got any more info.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
i'd crack it open to see if there are any date codes on the pots or transformers. aesthetically it def seems like the older 70's model: capital leaders on the effects loop, the small knobs in the middle are larger, uses correct era-specific graphics.

you'll need to look on the back, it generally had model designation back there. plus if it has 4 preamp tubes (and it has the distinctive "Overdrive" on the front) then it was mostly likely the OD120. the aesthetics says it's old.

edit: hard to price cuz there isn't a very active market. i would guess around 2k to 3k for that model.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by gumbilicious
i'd crack it open to see if there are any date codes on the pots or transformers. aesthetically it def seems like the older 70's model: capital leaders on the effects loop, the small knobs in the middle are larger, uses correct era-specific graphics.

you'll need to look on the back, it generally had model designation back there. plus if it has 4 preamp tubes (and it has the distinctive "Overdrive" on the front) then it was mostly likely the OD120. the aesthetics says it's old.

edit: hard to price cuz there isn't a very active market. i would guess around 2k to 3k for that model.

Thanks for your help, ill have to check what they normally sell for. But as youve said...there really isnt a really active market for them so itl be a challenge.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
Yeah i saw that vid.....love that tone tbh. And it does seem like its the same head too.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
Any ideas how much this amp should cost? Rough estimate? Since its a good buddy of mine id like to give him a fair offer so lowbaling is out of the question for me. But of course id prefer not to overpay for it.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
$1200-$1500 would be a fair price, but see if you can get it for <$1000. It will most likely need a cap job and a retube. This will run you $250+ typically, unless you put cheap tubes in it (and if you do you should be shot)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Robb, ill see what he says.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
http://www.orangefieldguide.com/dating_page.htm

evidently the head is from ~1978 (early)

imo ~1k for that orange is a bit of a low ball. newer ~100 watt used oranges easily fetch ~1k, let alone vintage ones.

edit: there were some circuit changes post '76 that makes the later 70's oranges a bit less desirable, but there are master volume mods and PI mods out there. dunno if that is on your radar at all.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 30, 2013,
I am prepared to spend up to 2k should the amp really be worth that much. But i offered him 1.5k and now i am waiting to see what he says.

I had also read that post 76 amps appear to be less desirable which is why i am trying to figure out the exact year for it. According to that guide it does seem like its a 78. I am awaiting a response from the moderators in the Orange forums because they told me the number on the picture is not the serial itself.

Once again, thanks for the help Gumbilicious
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Carvin V3MC
Quote by Remnest
Once again, thanks for the help Gumbilicious

i am gumbilicious with the low case 'G', Gumbilicious is my father's name

i think 1.5k is getting around the ballpark, it'd be a pretty good 'friend price'. obviously the dude doesn't use it and i have no idea what shape the amp is actually in so these prices are a shot in the dark. good luck

-ae
I live in NJ. I can pick it up for you.

>.>
<.<
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2