I never really payed much attention to them, but I gave their site a look and I fell in love with their unique acoustic guitar designs. Does anyone have any experience with these guitars? Are they just lookers, or can they actually play too?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case, it's a shame though because the designs are some of the best i've ever seen IMHO.
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Yeah, Luna and Dean's acoustics are all personna non grata around here.

And yes, some of Luna's stylings are excellent.

If you know anybody in art school who's really good a painting, I see no reason why you couldn't get a decent guitar, and pinch one of Luna's paint jobs....

You would have a "one of a kind".

They seem to get decent reviews: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/luna-guitars-fauna-dragon-folk-acoustic-electric-guitar

It's really nothing I would touch sight unheard, but if you get the chance, play one or three.

This specs out pretty well; http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/oraclekoi.php Solid top, B-Band preamp. (Ibanez uses these on their mid line product as well).

Ignore any of the trick "exotic wood" top models, they're just asking for trouble with poor tone.

Don't be swayed by a pretty face though, sometime it's east to miss an evil mind behind it
I personally love my dean acoustic. Exotica Spalted Maple, the only guitar i have played that shows it up is a lowden. But action and feel are both spot on.
My advice would be to go play one. Acoustic guitars are less look and more how they sound since they don't have an amp to distort. You'll know in 5 seconds if its the right guitar.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
actually while lunas aren't at the top of the heap tonally, they definitely sound better than deans, which are the boxiest and quietest guitars i've played that are sold in guitar stores. some of the new lunas actually don't sound bad - a chick at gc hollywood recently asked me to help her pick a guitar, and the luna she chose was good enough that she won't have to upgrade for some time, if ever.

your best bet would be to try one in person or order one from a place with a trial period.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
My local guitar center never really seems to have them in stock when I stop by, but I can give some smaller music stores a look around. Somebody's got to have them, right? I really hope they hold up to those good reviews, all I'm looking for is a nice mid-range guitar. I know there's better brands out there but I'm also a bit of a sucker for their designs, so if it plays half as good as it looks i'll take it.
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by nemjeff13
My advice would be to go play one. Acoustic guitars are less look and more how they sound since they don't have an amp to distort. You'll know in 5 seconds if its the right guitar.
This is only partly true. A mediocre AE type acoustic can become a pretty darn good one, when plugged in.

Ambiance effects such as delay, chorus, and reverb, can put back a lot of lost resonance, effectively broaden the sound field to whatever building you'd like to be playing in, and yeah, everybody cheats in the studio using these same effects...

With that said:

TS, if you're looking for something radical this Gretsch "Rancher" might fit the task also.... These go for about a nickle. I want one, but no go in a lefty.

In any case, her's the Gretsch page: http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2714022522#specs

And the Luna page: http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/oraclekoi.php

I probably would have gone for the Phoenix decorated model in this Luna series, but alas, no cutaway
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 30, 2013,
Ehhhhh never really been a fan of any Gretsch guitars, but it's definitely interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of this one. It's $430 USD, seems like a fair price for the specs on it. Here are the specs http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/florarose.php
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Last edited by guitarguyz61 at Jul 30, 2013,
Well, fairly small body, and a laminated hardwood top. Better spring for a chorus and delay while you're at it. Berhinger's stuff is decent, and cheap.

Both Dean and Ibanez electronically trick up the sound of their "exotic wood" models. Dean with the "Aphex Aural Exciter", and Ibanez with a chorus.

These maple top Takamines seem to review well: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/takamine-g-nex-flame-maple-eg440cs-acoustic-electric-guitar

Using hardwoods as sound boards bring a certain sound character. You can love it or hate it, but in either case, you should probably plug them in.
that's an interesting one. that's for sure.
Guitarguy, what did you think of the you tube clip? is that the sound your looking for? if so, pull the trigger and order one.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
When the Luna video starts, there is a prominent amount of reverb in the announcer's voice.

Acoustically, the guitar sounds reserved, as would be expected with a laminate top and fairly small body.

It sounds distant also, as if the mic was too far away.

But when he plugs it in, that's where the shit hits the fan.

There is so much over boosted bass, it masks most of whatever else is happening.

After watching the video, I still have very little information on how the guitar sounds.

What I do know, is they need either better recording equipment, a better sound man, or both.
It sounds half decent to me, but I agree they need a better recording rig. I'd prefer to hear it in person for myself because it'll mostly be played unplugged. The preamp is just to make due with gigging if it's needed. Besides the pickup and the preamp itself can always be switched out to my liking anyways.

It seems like it's a 50/50 chance with these guitars and I might just take the risk and order one from GC. If I don't like it I can always return it, and if I do I've got a real new looker to add to my collection. Just wanted everyone's two cents from here on wether or not they're worth the risk.
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby