is it normal that the strings are much further away from the neck at the, let's say 24th fret, then at the 1st? Starting from the first, they gradually go further away from the neck. is that normal? thanks
Yes, but that means you might have a bit high action. So you may want to lower it from the bridge (unless you like the way your guitar plays right now). Other thing is that your neck may be a bit too bowed. But you need to take pictures or we can't tell anything. Most likely you have pretty high action.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
It sounds like your neck is a bit bowed and you'll need to get a tech to adjust the truss rod to straighten it out.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
distance between string and neck (not fret)

1st fret: 2mm

22nd fret: 5-6mm
Measure from the top of the frets to below the string.

edit: Include somewhere in the middle as well, like the 12th fret (I think some companies use the 14th fret now that I think about it actually.. but that's not so important.)
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Last edited by Shor at Jul 30, 2013,
fret 1: 1mm

fret 19: 4mm

fret 12: 3mm
Last edited by Jayerrr at Jul 30, 2013,
And to know if your truss rod needs adjustment, push down your first and last frets at the same time and measure how big the gap is between the string and the 12th fret. There should be a small gap between the string and fret.

Have you tried lowering your action?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
there is a gap and it very small, i guess 1mm or even less. What does lowering the action mean? sorry I'm a bit a noob^^
Your neck relief is fine. Don't touch the truss rod.

What guitar is it? Different guitars have different ways to lower the action. The action is how far away the strings are from the fretboard. There's a sticky on the Electric Guitar Forum that'll tell you how to properly set up your action.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Okay, if it's a tune-o-matic style bridge (google what that is if you don't know) then you just need a flat-head screw drive. Now go read that sticky and I'm sure you'll figure it out.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
You don't need to lower your action if you like how your guitar plays. Though trying a low action can't hurt - you can always raise your action if you want. Most people like low action because it makes playing faster a bit easier. If you start getting too much fret buzz when you lower your action, your strings are too close to the fretboard.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
but for example if i i play an E on the 7th freth of A, the string touches the fret and makes that annoying fret buzz. Maybe it could be the strings fault, I'll change them in a few days because they are old now. What do you think?
Quote by Jayerrr
but for example if i i play an E on the 7th freth of A, the string touches the fret and makes that annoying fret buzz. Maybe it could be the strings fault, I'll change them in a few days because they are old now. What do you think?

Sounds like a high fret to me. Or low fret. Either way your frets need levelling. From what you've said your neck isn't back bowed and your action isn't ridiculously low. Definitely change your strings. If you still have problems, especially on the same fret you need a tech unless you have experience in fret levelling.
Quote by Jayerrr
is it normal that the strings are much further away from the neck at the, let's say 24th fret, then at the 1st? Starting from the first, they gradually go further away from the neck. is that normal? thanks

Yes, generally speaking your strings will be a little further from the neck at the higher frets than at the lower ones. But not all that much. At one point, Carvin advertised that its action (distance of the strings from the top of the frets) could be set "as low as 1/16th" from the 24th fret with no buzzing frets."

Buzzing when you fret usually indicates that you need to set up the guitar (I usually have a tech do the initial setup on a guitar that's new to me). Sometimes there are frets that aren't level -- the first job is to make sure that you have level frets. Then you need to make sure that your nut is cut properly if you like fairly low action (I do). And then you need to adjust the height of the bridge. After that, there are some refinements (you usually want the bass strings to be about 1/64th" further off the frets than the high E, you may want to dial in a tiny bit of relief with the truss rod) that will make it slightly easier to play.