I'm putting on a gig for the first time next month and we are hoping to get a band who are big in the area, but not very well known outside of the area to headline. My question is; how much to bands like this normally get paid to headline?

The venue is really small, it holds about 150 people, if that helps

Cheers
Without knowing location, facilities, or population, I really couldn't say.

Most places around here will charge $10 entry when there's something on, but they're popular/good location
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
It really depends on a number of factors.

Do you expect the show to sell out, or come close to it at least? Also, have you made contact with any prospective bands and inquired about a price? Have you booked sound yet and how much will that cost? Are you putting some money into promotion (fliers, radio, etc)? How many other bands will be on the bill?

For a legit headliner on a local or regional level, I'd say you're probably looking around $300 at the least. For the size of the show, $500 would be the absolute max I would pay for a local/regional headliner, and that's only if the fact that they're headlining would almost guarantee a sellout show.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The most important factor is........is it a bar that sells liquor or just a "kids" venue?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
200 bucks and some free beer. That's the best most bands could hope for at the stage they are at.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
^Probably that.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ryanbwags
200 bucks and some free beer. That's the best most bands could hope for at the stage they are at.

Hell that would be a sweetass deal for any band I've ever played in.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Pay to play is the way definitely.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by sjones
It really depends on a number of factors.

Do you expect the show to sell out, or come close to it at least? Also, have you made contact with any prospective bands and inquired about a price? Have you booked sound yet and how much will that cost? Are you putting some money into promotion (fliers, radio, etc)? How many other bands will be on the bill?

For a legit headliner on a local or regional level, I'd say you're probably looking around $300 at the least. For the size of the show, $500 would be the absolute max I would pay for a local/regional headliner, and that's only if the fact that they're headlining would almost guarantee a sellout show.

I dont expect it to sell out, I expect that there will be about 70-100 people there

Sound comes with the price of hiring the venue itself (£200)

There are 3 other bands on the bill, and with the support bands I was originally going to split all the money between them after the hire cost has been covered.However I realise I'm not sure how this would work if I'm to pay a headliner on top of that. Them headlining would add maybe an extra 30-50 sales

I think I've answered most questions haha