hi i play mainly thrash and neo classical metal. i have 800 pounds but i cant decide which guitar is better for me. i dont want trem. should I buy a Dean Vmnt Mustaine signature or Esp Edwards Gus G Signature E-GG-140NT-2FM or BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Tribute Stealth? thanks
Last edited by izzy crowley at Jul 30, 2013,
up to you, really

what's the rest of your gear?

I would say, though, that £800 is just about that kind of price level (especially since the recession started, where prices have been rising quite a lot, yet also occasionally shops have had closing down deals or just really good sales... so prices are all over the place, in other words) where you can end up with an intermediate-level guitar if you're not lucky, or a pro quality guitar if you are. So it really pays to do your research and know what you're doing.

the edwards i have is a nice guitar (it's just one of the les paul types), but I don't think I'd want to pay £800 for it, either (admittedly, the fact I paid just over half that has probably biased me, but still- they're not totally made in japan etc.). Also the fact I got a USA charvel star (similar shape to the gus g you're looking at) for less has also probably biased me. But that just backs up my claims that deals are around if you know where to look. Personally I just signed up to most of the bigger UK guitar shops' email newsletters and that way you get their deals first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh, dear god, avoid Dean and Esp. Buy yourself a second hand Fender, G&L, Ibanez, or Hamer.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Quote by Banjocal
Oh, dear god, avoid Dean and Esp. Buy yourself a second hand Fender, G&L, Ibanez, or Hamer.

Or a Carvin, EBMM or PRS. Great guitars. Not sure about all Hamers though.

TS, don't be just set on extreme shapes. Who knows, you might get bored of it after a while. I know I did.

PRS guitars are very musical and their SE range is astonishingly good. I tried a Fredrik Åkesson SE model a while back and I was amazed.
PRS are now releasing an inexpensive line of US made guitars, called S2. They feature the well-known Custom 24. It's pretty much like an SE model 24, only +1 on pretty much everything and made in USA.
Ernie Ball Music Man guitars are something that I've yet to try, but like PRS, they're very well made and suit up to your category very well.
Carvin guitars might be a bit harder to stumble upon, but they're great guitars and astonishingly inexpensive. I'd say cheap for what they give to you with the price.
Try to find one and if you like it, get a custom one ordered if you want to.

But if you're located in GB, before considering any guitar made in South Korea, you should check out Chapman ML-1. Half the price of a higher end Korea LTD but I doubt that it would be half the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGmk2LgW8Z4
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 30, 2013,
the chapman ml-1 is actually a damn good guitar for the money, btw and you can order one from andertons.co.uk very easily. or go to their store in guildford
Quote by izzy crowley
what about BC RICH CHUCK SCHULDINER TRIBUTE STEALTH?

May I ask why it is you are only looking at signature guitars?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
May I ask why it is you are only looking at signature guitars?

This.

But theres some rather good high end 2nd hand guitars. ESP Horizon, Ibanez RGs, PRS's.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I have found that Deans in that price range are comperable to other similarly priced axes in terms of quality.

However, I wouldn't buy most sig models (by ANY maker): unless it has a unique body style, neck, pickup configuration or the like, generally speaking, you can get better bang for your buck looking at other guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 30, 2013,
Schecter makes some really quality gear, particularly at that price range.
if you ask me he can do way better than a PRS SE or schecter for his budget. and the chappers one is like a third of his budget. I haven't tried it, but i'm guessing he can get way better.

but i mean what do i know, i mean i only live in the UK and know the price of things here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Banjocal

Why avoid ESP? I've owned a lower end LTD and it's one of the best guitars I've played for the price, and I've never had a problem with LTD's in stores.

The Schuldiner tribute should not be considered. I would love one because I'm a fan of Death but you don't buy a Stealth as your main guitar. The price is increased because part of it goes to Chuck's family, and it has his name one it. You get less than what you pay for. It has one pickup too. Seriously limits the guitar in terms of versatility.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Gibson SG or LP '70s Tribute. Or Future Tribute.

70's has the high output Dirty Fingers, and they are sweet as a nut.

I have the LP, and it rocks.
Quote by Sakke
Or a Carvin, EBMM or PRS. Great guitars. Not sure about all Hamers though.

As much as I love you for recommending Carvin, the international markup puts them out of his budget, unless he's willing to go used.

Honestly, I'd check Schecter.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.