Hey, has anyone read

Creative Guitar 1: Cutting Edge Tech

By Guthrie Govan

There's 2 of them however, I'm looking at the first one of course.

I've got a long flight to the Bahamas this weekend. I'm looking for a good book for a beginner/Inter to read to give me something to do but still working at music. I'm trying to learn theory and how to better my playing in general I came across this book and was wondering if its any good?
Basically, I just want to know if it good for my skill level which is pretty basic.... and If I'll be able to apply anything from this book while having a basic understanding of Music.

Thanks for any input!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Lol I was talking about this in a thread.

It is a good book and I admire Guthrie's playing which is why I bought it.

He goes into incredible detail on almost all aspects of playing from holding a pick to using a metronome. Some of it you probably know already, some is a good refresher.

He explains theory in reference to the guitar using the CAGED method. The musical examples are okay, not the best. I like to think about how the chords are formed by intervals and use the book as reference. Not a big fan of the mode section.
It's a good book. The exercises are heavily pentatonic based, however. He has examples of blues improvisation on the CD, the minor blues improv is pretty inspiring.

The front section of the book is a great read, and as mentioned, a good refresher.

The theory section is very good.
Quote by sweetdude3000
Lol I was talking about this in a thread.

It is a good book and I admire Guthrie's playing which is why I bought it.

He goes into incredible detail on almost all aspects of playing from holding a pick to using a metronome. Some of it you probably know already, some is a good refresher.

He explains theory in reference to the guitar using the CAGED method. The musical examples are okay, not the best. I like to think about how the chords are formed by intervals and use the book as reference. Not a big fan of the mode section.

+1, I found the book interesting and useful, though I've not read too many other guitar books
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Well, guys

Thank you for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered it should be here a few days before I leave. Looking forward to cracking into it.

Thanks again for all the input guys!

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
will this book be ok for somebody starting out like me or will it confuse me lol
Not at all. It's brilliant, theory wise, he explains things very well, and there are great exercises on finger dexterity near the beginning.
Quote by Tazz3
will this book be ok for somebody starting out like me or will it confuse me lol

I just got the book yesterday. Been reading it quite a bit. Its actually a very good book. The way he writes will keep you entertained and he teaches you things like finger warm ups that also help increase speed playing and finger independence and it also talks about basic theory. Theres a lot I haven't looked into yet but he gives great detail about everything from theory, to posture, to amp setting, EQ, just about everything you'd want to know as a beginner. If you are thinking about getting it do it. Its a great book for beginners. Very inspiring.

Thanks for all the input guys, this book was worth the buy and 2 day shipping haha.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Aug 3, 2013,
I'd advise getting the 2nd one if possible as well, it's more application than theory unlike the 1st book which is more theory.

My favourite sections of each book are:

1st: The section on muting; it really changed the whole way I play and has helped more than any video, lesson or other book I have seen on music and guitar.

2nd: There's a great section on emulating other instruments like Harmonica, Saxophone, Chapman and Koto, just to name a few. It definitely gives you a different perspective on guitar playing.