So i was recording today through a mic and a mixer + audacity and i was trying to record sweet child o mine to hear how i sounded through the whole song but as i record i noticed the input level rose substantially when i played clean but not while i was playing distorted tones during the intro. when i played back i noticed the big spikes where i was playing clean and it sounds horrific. i was wondering if there is a way to fix this because i'd like to get the song recorded in one take. also i know i can use the amplify option but then it would be a hassle to even out the volume through the song.
Quote by Cavalcade
What amp/effects are you using? That's kind of important.

yeah i didn't know if it would be that hard of a fix though i thought it may be something i changed in audacity. im using a line 6 spider basically maxed out in the distortion department and really just some reverb and thats it.
its just the volume change between distortion parts and clean parts is so large that i would have to edit the clean parts down and i really think that should be unnecessary.
I'm guessing that when you distortion is max as you so said, you compress the track that every stroke soft or hard sounds the same.

The clean channel if truly clean should then (and by default) have more headroom, and thus responds way more dynamic to how you play...which is good normally..but not in this case.

If it's not your technique, then perhaps it's still kinda the same issue, but then the only solution would be to turn down the input gain on your interface.

Alternatively, you can put a limiter on with super fast attack and a long release, and put a treshold on -1db for starters.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by Cavalcade
Maybe the volume of your distorted and clean channels is set differently. You're using the clean channel for cleans, right? And not just bypassing the amp?

yeah im using the clean channel. and i do hear a volume difference but it sounds like its more low frequency on the clean channel than on the dist. channel and i think thats whats causing it because i have my mic set up in a point for dist.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I'm guessing that when you distortion is max as you so said, you compress the track that every stroke soft or hard sounds the same.

The clean channel if truly clean should then (and by default) have more headroom, and thus responds way more dynamic to how you play...which is good normally..but not in this case.

If it's not your technique, then perhaps it's still kinda the same issue, but then the only solution would be to turn down the input gain on your interface.

Alternatively, you can put a limiter on with super fast attack and a long release, and put a treshold on -1db for starters.

i dont think its my technique but what do you mean super fast attack with a long release?
Quote by brett.endsley
i dont think its my technique but what do you mean super fast attack with a long release?

He's talking about the attack and release settings on a limiter/compressor. Fast attack means it will start compressing almost as soon as it reaches the threshold, and slow/long release means that it will take a longer time to bring the gain back to normal levels.
Quote by brett.endsley

He's talking about using a limiter, not your physical technique. Attack & release are settings on a limiter that control how fast or slow the limiter switches between processing & bypassing when the threshold is met.

Edit: ^ What he said.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Last edited by J-Dawg158 at Jul 31, 2013,
What's you're EQ setting like? I'd imagine that if you cleans have more mids and your distorted tone is scooped it might add to the volume difference.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
should I put the attack with long release on the backing track or the recorded track i made 0.0?
Quote by brett.endsley
should I put the attack with long release on the backing track or the recorded track i made 0.0?

On the clean, cause your distorted track would already by processed in such a way, that it's kinda doing the same thing. Without the limiting though.

Though not the professional way of doing it, but you can put one on the master channel. This would at least spare your speakers/soundcard/amp.

I can suggest more if you post a recording of it on here.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??