So I noticed the following warning on my propane bottle:

"the contents of this bottle are explosive AND flammable"

with emphasis on the AND.... and that got me thinking if something was explosive but not flammable... seems like one is necessary for the other?

FYI, women on their periods ARE flammable so don't try it

EDIT: Fixed a mistake in the title
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jul 30, 2013,
I think you misstated your title.

I'm sure there are explosives that only react to spark, shock, etc., and not to fire.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
There are things that are flammable but not explosive.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
In sure there is. Explosions can happen when certain chemicals are mixed.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Chemicals react with other chemicals without fire, yes. It's basic chemistry, apply yourself.
That warning assumes a little familiarity with chemistry.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
well I have my answer THanks all.

Needless to say I failed chemistry :P It's ok though, I passed other things
A better question would've been: "Can something be flexible, but not bend?"
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Enriched uranium?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
It's in a pressurized metal container. Anything under pressure can potentially explode, without actually being flammable. If you puncture, or heat, a container under high pressure, it could explode. That doesn't mean it is necessarily a flammable substance.

These are generally called mechanical explosions. Obviously you need special conditions for this to occur.
Quote by BladeSlinger
There are things that are flammable but not explosive.

This.

Plus what Ryan said about things like Sodium which explode when they react with other substances.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Trowzaa
Chemicals react with other chemicals without fire, yes. It's basic chemistry, apply yourself.

Ahh he said the thing!
What about explosive decompression?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
What about explosive decompression?

What about explosive diarrhea? My shit is (often) not flammable.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
A better question would've been: "Can something be flexible, but not bend?"

Time

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
What is invisible, but without it you cannot see?
What gets wetter as it dries?
Why am I reciting easy and well-known riddles?

WHO WAS PHONE?!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

WHO WAS PHONE?!

E.T. HE was?!

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Time

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Plastic explosives, although maybe not all of them, such as the C series of datasheet, are explosive but not flammable; generally, most explosives used professionally are stable enough to not be flammable. While most will detonate with heat and pressure, they need not be flammable.
My God, it's full of stars!
sodium?
edit: i see now it has been posted already.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
Quote by Dreadnought
Plastic explosives, although maybe not all of them, such as the C series of datasheet, are explosive but not flammable; generally, most explosives used professionally are stable enough to not be flammable. While most will detonate with heat and pressure, they need not be flammable.

C4 will catch fire though. But it won't explode if it does. Mythbusters taught me this.
Quote by Dirge Humani
C4 will catch fire though. But it won't explode if it does. Mythbusters taught me this.

It depends on if you're referring to C4 block or C4 datasheet Off the top of my head, I don't know which, or if both, will catch fire. Either way, I don't really consider them flammable in the sense that, for instance, the spray coming out of an aerosol can is flammable.

They burn, but don't deflagrate. Which I suppose is a different topic entirely...
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dirge Humani

This is what I came here to say. I am late, once again.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
it really all depends on what you mean by explosive and what you mean by flammable?

explosives can deflagrate or detonate, and some substances will burn in certain atmospheres at certain temperatures but not at others.
Quote by flexiblemile
FYI, women on their periods ARE flammable so don't try it

this was wholly unnecessary and is false so now I hate you
cat
Quote by Dreadnought
It depends on if you're referring to C4 block or C4 datasheet Off the top of my head, I don't know which, or if both, will catch fire. Either way, I don't really consider them flammable in the sense that, for instance, the spray coming out of an aerosol can is flammable.

They burn, but don't deflagrate. Which I suppose is a different topic entirely...

Stupid youtube doesn't have the clip, but they lit C4 on fire, didn't explode. Then they built a stomping robot to see if stomping it out would make it explode. It didn't.

Instead have this video of some guys lighting C4 on fire, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUFSR2zTo7c
Quote by Trowzaa

THE CHEMISTRY MUST BE RESPECTED
banned