Recently I've noticed that my amp sounds better through my headphones than it does without them. I never gave much thought to speakers until I noticed this, but now I'm wondering exactly how much speaker quality matters for getting a good sound. I've been tossing around the idea of investing in a better amp for a while, but money is pretty tight and in all honesty, I know that I probably can't afford to do that until I finish college.

Would upgrading the speaker in my amp make enough of a difference in the sound quality to be worth the trouble?

My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15, and the headphones are an old pair of alienware headphones that one of my older brothers used for PC games before he moved out.
Not worth it, a good speaker costs as much as the amp. Plus, it's only an 8" speaker. An amp upgrade will likely come with a decent speaker.
If you bought a nice little 1X12 with something like a G12H30 in there, you'd have an improvement, but with that amp, it may not be super dramatic. Obviously, as stated above, the cost would be more than the amp, but you can always use a small cab. Depends on what good tone is worth to you
With nice amps, speakers are everything, & can change your entire tonal spectrum. That's why I keep 4 different speaker cabs, all different sizes, all different speakers, along with a couple combo amps that also have different speakers (I can use them as simply cabs if I want).
One thing I'd suggest---when you test cabs, put your ears right in direct line of the center of the speaker to get a true idea of its tone. If you're standing to the side, you won't get the real sound. You want to hear what a mic would hear.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Steyr9001
Recently I've noticed that my amp sounds better through my headphones than it does without them. I never gave much thought to speakers until I noticed this...

My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15, and the headphones are an old pair of alienware headphones that one of my older brothers used for PC games before he moved out.

upgrading the speakers(s) can be a tremendous upgrade, but working with a vypyr modeling amp kinda throws things off a bit. the vypyr does all the modeling (preamp, power, etc) through DSP so it wants a fairly 'flat' sounding speaker to emulate the modeled sound. with that particular amp you are not going to be as well served by a speaker swap.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by riffhog
If you bought a nice little 1X12 with something like a G12H30 in there, you'd have an improvement, but with that amp, it may not be super dramatic. Obviously, as stated above, the cost would be more than the amp, but you can always use a small cab. Depends on what good tone is worth to you
With nice amps, speakers are everything, & can change your entire tonal spectrum. That's why I keep 4 different speaker cabs, all different sizes, all different speakers, along with a couple combo amps that also have different speakers (I can use them as simply cabs if I want).
One thing I'd suggest---when you test cabs, put your ears right in direct line of the center of the speaker to get a true idea of its tone. If you're standing to the side, you won't get the real sound. You want to hear what a mic would hear.

its a modeling amp, you would likely want a flat response speaker.

but +1 its not worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gumbilicious
upgrading the speakers(s) can be a tremendous upgrade, but working with a vypyr modeling amp kinda throws things off a bit. the vypyr does all the modeling (preamp, power, etc) through DSP so it wants a fairly 'flat' sounding speaker to emulate the modeled sound. with that particular amp you are not going to be as well served by a speaker swap.

^This.

Upgrading the speaker will in most cases make a fairly dramatic difference in an amp, but in the case of your peavey, its just not worth your money.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
speakers make a big difference, but what we are saying is dont put an investment into something your going to most likely get rid of.

its like paying for a custom built engine for a 12 year old honda civic. we all would like to think we come out looking like fast and furious, but in reality its just disappointing.

scratch, do over.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
speakers make a big difference, but what we are saying is dont put an investment into something your going to most likely get rid of.

its like paying for a custom built engine for a 12 year old honda civic. we all would like to think we come out looking like fast and furious, but in reality its just disappointing.

scratch, do over.

please tell me you never did that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well it's a bummer that I won't be getting a better tone any time soon, but at least I won't be throwing any money away. thanks for the feedback, everyone.

It's also nice to know that that it actually makes a difference - truthfully I was a little concerned that I might have just been imagining it.
You could always try the second hand market. I've seen awesome amps go for pocket money.
But no, swapping out the speaker will end in disappointment with a Vypyr. The speaker would be twice as expensive as the amp, for one. That's never a good sign.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
A friend had 1 Greenback laying around and decided to see what will happen if he puts in the crappy Crate combo that he had, the difference was huge, so big that actually the amp wasn't so bad and he played it a few years longer. The Greenback left the amp when it was sold
Quote by gumbilicious
upgrading the speakers(s) can be a tremendous upgrade, but working with a vypyr modeling amp kinda throws things off a bit.

+1

if you're talking about a tube amp, a speaker upgrade can make a massive difference (i'd go so far as to say that a bad enough speaker can make a good amp sound bad, it's that much of a difference).

but yeah with a modeller it's not quite the same. plus it's a cheapish amp already so you'd arguably be throwing good money after bad (or at least it probably wouldn't be the best use of your funds).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Crate I am referring to was an ultra cheap beater solid state and it made a huge difference.
We did play around with POD/Line 6 gear back in the day when the modelers came with their own speakers (POD2 wasselling with 4x12 or 2x12 Line 6 cab) and changed those to Peavey Scorpion, I think since that's what we had left over. There was a definite change, not sure if I would call it improvement since Line 6's speakers (they were something re-branded and cheap since they weighted almost nothing) were more linear across the range and the Peavey produced midrange lift which would be nice in other amps but not in modeling.
I've seen threads where people have stuck a 10" speaker into the cab of a Vypyr 15 with noticeable results. And the particular speaker they used was like $50 new as well. I'll see if I can find it...

Found it, apparently people really like sticking a 10" Jensen Mod 10-35 or 10-50 into their Vypyr 15's with good results. Here's the thread I found about it: http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24721

As others have said, I personally wouldn't go through the trouble of upgrading a little Vypyr. It is a cool amp but I don't see the benefits being significant. If you were talking about a vintage Fender Champ or something then it'd be a different story.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Steyr9001

Would upgrading the speaker in my amp make enough of a difference in the sound quality to be worth the trouble?

Yes. But on a different amp
All about the mids!!!!!!!