Poll Options
View poll results: Would you?
Yes
28 68%
No
13 32%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 2
...would you be willing to sacrifice an important national monument?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23375319

BBC opening post in memory of Kensai.

Anyway, this article gets into more topics, but I made this thread because of the first part. If there was gold worth one trillion pounds in the Cliffs of Dover, would they be worth sacrificing to solve your national debt? The Cliffs of Dover are seen as a bit boring I suppose. It doesn't need to be just natural landmarks. What if it was Stonehenge, or Buckingham Palace? For Americans, what if it was the Statue of Liberty, the famous skyline of Manhattan, or Mount Rushmore (which is a disgrace anyway but you get my point)?

For everyone else, just think of places in your country that have a strong symbolic meaning or historical significance. Do you care about these monuments/landmarks/locations? Are they worth having around if you could solve the national debt issue?

Discuss.
Nah cuz you'll be in debt again in like 5 years tops so who even cares
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I don't even think this is a huge issue, I'm just practicing making threads. >_>

If you want we can just make this about environmental protection, which is discussed in the second part of that article.

Edit: We have people voting yes so maybe it'll get slightly interesting.
oh, wait. I was just assuming that you meant that this was going to be something like you give up a landmark like the grand canyon to another country. I would do be ok with selling the grand canyon for $17+... But not wiping it out completely. that's what I get for not reading before voting.
Quote by ehbacon
oh, wait. I was just assuming that you meant that this was going to be something like you give up a landmark like the grand canyon to another country. I would do be ok with selling the grand canyon for $17+... But not wiping it out completely. that's what I get for not reading before voting.

I would not support selling land off to another country either. It would have a similar effect to mining it or something, minus the environmental damage.

On a similar note, would anybody here support privatising national land?
Depends on the monument, but most likely not.
Quote by ehbacon
I would do be ok with selling the grand canyon for $17+...

I'll take it off your hands for $20
no returns
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by slipknot5678
I would not support selling land off to another country either. It would have a similar effect to mining it or something, minus the environmental damage.

On a similar note, would anybody here support privatising national land?

No. That land is for the People as a collective.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Nope. It wouldn't really solve a thing.

Then extend the hypothetical to a point where it would solve a bunch of things.
If there was £1t worth of gold in the Cliffs of Dover then gold prices would plummet anyway.
^True, but technicalities don't matter right now. >_>

Quote by Hydra150
Then extend the hypothetical to a point where it would solve a bunch of things.

Yeah.

We're talking about the whole national debt. What if we were a bunch of Greeks sitting around discussing this?

I agree it wouldn't solve much in the long run, and I value monuments, national parks, etc. But it could get the ball rolling. Lots of historic sites have been destroyed to make way for new developments (discussed in the article).

What if removing a monument could provide a long-term source of revenue? What if it was on an oil field?
Naw bro its all about that tourism revenue.

We carved some faces in a mountain in the middle of nowhere, how isn't that worth seeing?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
By national monument I thought you meant shit like Nelson's Column and stuff I'd trade that to get rid of debt because it's a boring statue. Cliffs of Dover though? Nah.

We should carve a giant image of the Queen sticking her middle finger up into the Cliffs of Dover.
£1 trillion worth of gold under Dover would surely influence the outcome of the 2014 Scottish referendum
Quote by slipknot5678

We're talking about the whole national debt. What if we were a bunch of Greeks sitting around discussing this?

I agree it wouldn't solve much in the long run, and I value monuments, national parks, etc. But it could get the ball rolling. Lots of historic sites have been destroyed to make way for new developments (discussed in the article).

What if removing a monument could provide a long-term source of revenue? What if it was on an oil field?

If we were Greeks we wouldn't want to get rid of anything that would bring tourist money in in the longrun, I tell you whut.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 30, 2013,
Happily. I'd tear down the Washington Monument, blow up Mt. Rushmore, and draw a mustache on the Lincoln Memorial if it meant the US debt was gone.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Happily. I'd tear down the Washington Monument, blow up Mt. Rushmore, and draw a mustache on the Lincoln Memorial if it meant the US debt was gone.

OK guys i'll get the rope
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Hydra150
£1 trillion worth of gold under Dover would surely influence the outcome of the 2014 Scottish referendum

If we were Greeks we wouldn't want to get rid of anything that would bring touristm oney in in the longrun, I tell you whut.

Yeah but what if it just one important monument to remove all of that debt and potentially lead to the end of the crisis in Greece? I saw a video on Al Jazeera about oil in the Agean Sea to pay off the entire debt, but if the oil was to be drilled it would start another dispute with Turkey. That's what reminded me of Greece.
Sure. But you'd have to solve the spending problem first. It's about not spending more than you take in.
Quote by Tag43
Sure. But you'd have to solve the spending problem first. It's about not spending more than you take in.

There's not a government on earth that does that I don't think
fuk yeah I would, London Eye sucks dick anyways, so do the Dover Cliffs and Buckingham Palace, but the Gherkin can stay though.
I guarantee that if the gov't took a national monument and did something with it to get some money that there is no possibility that it would end up benefiting me in any way.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by slipknot5678
If there was gold worth one trillion pounds in [...] the famous skyline of Manhattan [...] ?

There is certainly not 1 trillion Monopoly money's worth of gold in the skyline.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Can we like sell chunks of our country we don't want instead? It'll include land and all peoples living on it at time of sale.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
My country's already done this shit. The result is unsettling, like Pharoah statues in Memphis unsettling.

Nope, we're keeping our pyramids.
China could literally own America, because of debt, it would be bad for their economy though, but they could literally own us.
I'm finally 18!!!
we don't have national monuments.

or can any swede inform me of one?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Man-made monuments, especially the recent ones, are best off blown up. Those that have been standing there for centuries or even millennia, like Stonehenge have been standing there unattended and cost diddly-squat, so it's not an issue.

Natural monuments like the Cliffs of Dover ? Imagine the USA building a hydro-powered power plant in the Niagara falls, or draining the Great Lakes for cooling fluids in their lovely nuclear reactors. Humanity should never touch them with the intention to destroy them.

Meh. If only I had that magical red button that would wipe out humanity...
Quote by Lord_Doku
Man-made monuments, especially the recent ones, are best off blown up.

We did that and you called it a tragedy. Make up your damn minds.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
We did that and you called it a tragedy. Make up your damn minds.

What do you mean ?
Quote by Lord_Doku
Man-made monuments, especially the recent ones, are best off blown up. Those that have been standing there for centuries or even millennia, like Stonehenge have been standing there unattended and cost diddly-squat, so it's not an issue.

Natural monuments like the Cliffs of Dover ? Imagine the USA building a hydro-powered power plant in the Niagara falls, or draining the Great Lakes for cooling fluids in their lovely nuclear reactors. Humanity should never touch them with the intention to destroy them.

Meh. If only I had that magical red button that would wipe out humanity...

so edgy
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
China could literally own America, because of debt, it would be bad for their economy though, but they could literally own us.

Not really. We only owe about a trillion to China. The rest we owe to bankers.
Quote by theguitarist
Can we like sell chunks of our country we don't want instead? It'll include land and all peoples living on it at time of sale.

You mean you wanna sell the London Borough of Croydon?

Just off Tavistock Road?
Well I'd sell Croydon because East london ghetto>south london ghetto

and Surrey, because north of london snobs>south of london snobs

and the whole of cornwall for their borderline separatist ways

the whole of tyneside area which doesn't need explaining

and the major cities of scotland, I want to keep the nice countryside bits that make good whisky and beef.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by willT08
You mean you wanna sell the London Borough of Croydon?

Just off Tavistock Road?

White people are in the minority do it wouldn't be a big deal selling it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^Yeah and anyway I can get jerk chicken and roti in north london too.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 2