don't know which to chose they're both in the same price range but can't decide... it needs to be able to play these bands
Bands
Clean stuff:
The strokes
Pixies
The Doors
The smiths
Arctic Monkeys
Sublime
Red hot chilli peppers
Wavves
Nirvana
Led Zeppelin
Bon Jovi
Aerosmith
Skid row (ESPECIALLY SKID ROW, THEIROLD STUFF LIKE "In a darkened room" or `18 and life")
Guns N roses
ACDC
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Pink floyd (I know its gonna be impossibe but something that can get atleast somewhat clean tones like davids)
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
Harder stuff:
Metallica
Megadeath
Wow what a list... first of all for people to help you we need the following:

Budget:

New/Used:

Nearest City:

Gigging/Non:

Must Have features:
They look pretty comparable to me. They both have pretty much the same features. I suspect the Blackstar would be a bit more versatile, having the ISF, reverb and emulated out.

In a case like this it really comes down to which makes nicer sounds to your ears, so I reckon you should go play them both then decide.
The blackstar does have the ISF switch, but I would rather have an amp do one sound fairly well then a lot of tones sub par. Not bashing the blackstar, but when I had mine it left me wanting more of the real thing.
If it is only between those two amps then I would go for the Jet City.
Like first poster said, more info will help us guide you.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
the jet city is all-tube and the blackstar isn't, if that matters to you. the jet city only has one channel, though (if you can get up to the 2 channel one that'd be the thing).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blackstar won't be able to do crunch very well. Clean is fine and overdrive/distortion will be fine. You'll have trouble getting some of those sounds. I've never played a JC so I can't speak for it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Dave_Mc
the jet city is all-tube and the blackstar isn't, if that matters to you. the jet city only has one channel, though (if you can get up to the 2 channel one that'd be the thing).

I think he's asking about the 2 channel Jet City. The Blackstar can do cleans and supe r over saturated, compressed, fake sounding distortion, but nothing in-between. I'd say the Jet City is great for high gain British tone and not much else. But, if you are talking about the one channel Jet City, it can do more things better if you throw a boost in the mix.
^ i think you're right. i misread it as the "RC" one which is the single channel one. Yeah if it's the two-channel one it will cover a fair bit of ground, but as you said, it covers that saturated, 80s type of high gain tone best. considering he has a fair few 80s hard rock/metal bands in his list (and skid row as the #1 priority), i'm guessing the jet city would do well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take the Jet city over the Blackstar HT series any day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by BladeSlinger
The Blackstar won't be able to do crunch very well. Clean is fine and overdrive/distortion will be fine. You'll have trouble getting some of those sounds. I've never played a JC so I can't speak for it.

I dunno how well this transfers to the HT20, but I can get a lovely crunch tone out of my HT5R. Granted, the gain is on about 2 ...

I think the problem people with have Blackstar is that they seem to believe it's trying mimic other "classic" tones, rather than having it's own sound. Once you hear it like it has it's own sound, it's completely different beast.

If you like the sounds, I don't think they can be beat, because the really do pack a whole heap in at a pretty low price-point.
you can get the jet city for far cheaper on thomann than the blackstar

heck the traynor ycv50b (when it's in stock) is less than the blackstar (or about the same as its UK price).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 1, 2013,
Quote by patriotplayer90
I think he's asking about the 2 channel Jet City. The Blackstar can do cleans and supe r over saturated, compressed, fake sounding distortion, but nothing in-between. I'd say the Jet City is great for high gain British tone and not much else. But, if you are talking about the one channel Jet City, it can do more things better if you throw a boost in the mix.

The jet city is going to be a more american end of things given that its modeled after a soldano.

From the sounds of it, it looks like you dont really need the higher gain model of the jet city. Have you considered the newer marshall DSL combos? they're around the same price range and might work pretty well for you
Quote by andrerist
The jet city is going to be a more american end of things given that its modeled after a soldano.

From the sounds of it, it looks like you dont really need the higher gain model of the jet city. Have you considered the newer marshall DSL combos? they're around the same price range and might work pretty well for you

Jet City 2212 is a combo version of 22h head so it has more or less same preamp circuit as 50h and 100h. Its definetly capable of high gain tones (especially boosted).

I would go for Jet City. The price/performance is insane compared to Blackstars. I would have bought one already if they just had a master volume, a thing I absolutely need. Well, less nowadays because I can finally crank my gear but still it makes my life easier.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ the jet cities have a master volume which lets you run the preamp distorted at low volumes. just they don't have a global master volume.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the jet cities have a master volume which lets you run the preamp distorted at low volumes. just they don't have a global master volume.

And the global master volume is exactly what I meant.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
no worries, i figured as much
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think Blackstar are overrated, I have a Jet City JCA100H and I absolutely love it, does everything really well. Jet City make really good amps. But I did fit a resonance mod to mine which brings out the depth in the tone. Brilliant.
All about the mids!!!!!!!
The JCA22 doesn't have a true clean channel. Just gain and more gain. If you want a real clean you're not going to get it with the JC. You can dial it in somewhat clean but it doesn't have the headroom to get very loud and stay clean.
Quote by MaaZeus
Jet City 2212 is a combo version of 22h head so it has more or less same preamp circuit as 50h and 100h. Its definetly capable of high gain tones (especially boosted).

I would go for Jet City. The price/performance is insane compared to Blackstars. I would have bought one already if they just had a master volume, a thing I absolutely need. Well, less nowadays because I can finally crank my gear but still it makes my life easier.

I meant that the jca22 is the high gain model and from what it seems that he wants to play, its almost too much gain for him. and given that there also isnt a true clean channel, it may not quite be what he's looking for.