1) Where to buy?

As the title pretends I'm looking around for a new amp. However, this brings a couple of problems along. Surprisingly I'll start with the 'where'. I've been doing research for a while now and I discovered a pretty big difference in price in the USA and Holland, where I am from. The gap is pretty big and it is definetely worth the consideration of buying it online, even with shipping costs. However, I've been reading a decent number of bad reviews about Ebay what makes me doubt to buy on Ebay. When I do decide to buy it outside Europe, I prefer to buy it new because of the waranty as I can't see the amp before I'll buy it.

Although I would never buy a guitar via internet (every guitar sounds different, I want to feel the playability, hear the sound definition of the guitar, want to feel the neck, etc.) I would definitely consider buying an amp online if it gets my a way better amp than in Europe.

So bottom line: What are reliable sources to buy an amp in the USA?

2) What amp do I want?

When I'm passed step 1, it's time to move on to step 2: what amp do I need?

I'm playing two guitars frequently, my recently bought Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe (HH) and my PRS SE EG (SSS). I play over a Boss BR800 to practise with headphones to practise in the living room. Although I play often over my Boss, I still smile when I hear guitars over an amplifier (we have a Vox VT20+ which is nto mine). In my sleeping room I have a Fender Mustang 1 so an upgrade is welcome.

I want the amp to work well with both my Telecaster (HH) and my PRS (SSS) and it is preferably versatile. The new amp will be used mostly (almost any time) at home. However, I recently joined a band and we're not gigging jet (we are beginners) but it might come. So preferable it could be used for practise sessions and small gigs as in bars etc. But as said, the home use is guaranteed and the gigs aren't.

Therefor, I want to spent around €400 which is around $530. Of course it doesn't matter if it is lower than that when it sounds killer .

I've been reading some good reviews of Fender-Fender combinations, but Fender-Vox sounds sweet as well. As said, for my budget there are way better amps to get in the US than over here.

The clean tones are most important to me. I don't want a static and chilly clean.

Styles that will be played most often: Rock, Funk, Blues, Older Rock. I''m not a metal guy, but the amp should be able to produce some nice rock sounds.

I hope this is clear enough, if not I will give you more info
Just a tip, check the used section in your city. I got my amp used for about 200 under retail value without taxes that was only a couple of months into a 5 year warrantee.
Quote by Wicer
Just a tip, check the used section in your city. I got my amp used for about 200 under retail value without taxes that was only a couple of months into a 5 year warrantee.

There is not too much around here, there is way less offer than online. Thanks anyway, what amp did u get?
i am in the states, likely not of knowledge of holland's market for musical instruments/gear, but most Europeans seem to go to thommonam.de (something like that i can never remember) they may be worth looking for.

honestly if you can get your hands on one (which may be more likely than some other brands) i would look into a peavey vypyr tube 60 (or 120). great modeling amp. you can find them used in the states for the low $3XX range, so that may be in range for you.

a lot of people will say jet city or egnater, but most times i read that, its not available where they are at.

i don't know the price but you could pick up a fender hot rod deluxe, pretty nice cleans, but the OD channel is honestly terrible (i think most would tend to agree).

and good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am in the states, likely not of knowledge of holland's market for musical instruments/gear, but most Europeans seem to go to thommonam.de (something like that i can never remember) they may be worth looking for.

honestly if you can get your hands on one (which may be more likely than some other brands) i would look into a peavey vypyr tube 60 (or 120). great modeling amp. you can find them used in the states for the low $3XX range, so that may be in range for you.

a lot of people will say jet city or egnater, but most times i read that, its not available where they are at.

i don't know the price but you could pick up a fender hot rod deluxe, pretty nice cleans, but the OD channel is honestly terrible (i think most would tend to agree).

and good luck.

Yeah I am familiar with thomann.de (not that hard ). The thing is that, at least for my feeling, the prices are lower in the US, certainly second hand. So I would like to find some US websites that offer amps with warranty and check out if it is def worth it.
I know your first question was about buying from America online but have you looked at Thomann.de. The prices I have found on Thomann in the past have been fairly reasonable and considering they are in your neck of the woods so to speak.

As for the second question, I think given your musical styles a Blues Junior would work well. For higher gain music I'd throw in an overdrive/distortion pedal depending on what you need at the time.

EDIT: Didn't see the above post. Even though gear may be cheaper in America don't forget that most amplifiers supplied to retailers are designed for their power supply and as a result you will need to get a step down transformer. And you will get stung on shipping...
Last edited by ibanart300 at Jul 30, 2013,
^^ It's thomann.de (edit: I got ninja'd)

Massive store in Germany that stocks near anything and ships cheap for pretty much all of the EU. Definitely check their site out, I've got some low prices on there and I'm in the UK.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by GuitarL91
There is not too much around here, there is way less offer than online. Thanks anyway, what amp did u get?

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. Great amp, but it takes a while for the tubes to produce good tones at bedroom levels.
Yeah I know my shops here, I've got some good shops around here. Thanks for the input so far! What about musicandfriend.com? They are commonly known and the prices seems to be really sharp? When my pc works a little better, i'll post my amp list so far
Why don't you look at the cost of driving (ferry or Eurostar) to London where some of the larger UK stores are. You may get a better deal that way rather than ordering from the states. Some may even ship to Europe.
If you try importing from the US, remember that as well as high shipping charges you are likely to be charged an import tax that will not be included in the original transaction. This will be an extra charge that you have to pay on receipt of the item and you probably won't know how much it will cost until the courier arrives at your house saying they need the money before releasing the item to you.

If you purchase within the EU, this will not be an issue.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If you try importing from the US, remember that as well as high shipping charges you are likely to be charged an import tax that will not be included in the original transaction. This will be an extra charge that you have to pay on receipt of the item and you probably won't know how much it will cost until the courier arrives at your house saying they need the money before releasing the item to you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the European prices are a bit cheaper than (or pretty much the same as) importing from the USA. Otherwise everybody would just buy their gear from USA. Also, you would have to worry about the different voltage in Europe if you imported it from the USA, so you would need to buy some kind of transformer to be able to use it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 31, 2013,
Quote by GaryBillington

I'm consdering it. I'm researching if it is worth it right now
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the European prices are a bit cheaper than (or pretty much the same as) importing from the USA. Otherwise everybody would just buy their gear from USA. Also, you would have to worry about the different voltage in Europe if you imported it from the USA, so you would need to buy some kind of transformer to be able to use it.

Didn't used to be the case

10-15 years ago it was fairly easy to get around the import charges so long as you got a 'friendly' US seller that would mark it as a gift. I had a couple of bargains, but then I think something changed in the laws & the loophole was closed. (IIRC at least- twas something like that, but don't remember the full details).

Quote by GuitarL91
I'm consdering it. I'm researching if it is worth it right now

Speaking from a UK perspective, Thomann are almost always the cheapest and because it's all EU, there aren't any import charges.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 31, 2013,
the USA is a different voltage to the netherlands. really, once you factor in transatlantic shipping, customs/VAT charges etc., you may well be saving very little. and that's also before you consider that, actually, in europe some brands are actually better value than the USA.

On thomann, for example, you can get a traynor ycv50b (might be out of stock currently, but they normally get them back in) for a price which is pretty similar to the USA prices. Ditto Jet city. Marshall and laney in the UK are as cheap if not cheaper than they are in the USA.

Granted if you want mesa or something like that you're in trouble. but if you just want a nice amp... it's probably handier to get something which is good value in europe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input so far. Another new factor is that I might sell my Squier (got it for Free) and my Fender mustang 1. If so, I will reinvest it in a new amp. As said, my pc struggles a ton, which makes it hard to write long messages. Nice journey tho
Ok, looking around and read a ton of stuf, it is probably best not to buy an amp outside Europe, so step 1 is passed and the answer is clear

I'm looking for an amp with preferably 2 channels. Two amps that I'm checking out right now:
- Ampeg GVT52-112 (they are in great sale on thomann, they sell them for €349)
- Fender Super Champ X2

-
^ if you can stretch a little bit, i'd be inclined to wait until the traynor ycv50b comes back into stock.

if you can't, as you said, that ampeg is pretty good value on thomann, but i haven't tried it so

but definitely thomann does have several amp brands which it sells for good prices (jet city is another one, though the ones it has in stock tend to be the higher gain models).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?