Bet you guys are excited over this one.

I know you don't want my whole life story so here we go: wanted to learn guitar, bought one, didn't stick with it and couldn't get motivated, gave away that guitar, fast forward a couple years to now, wanted to learn again, have been using the program GuitarBots with a cheap acoustic, loving guitar more than I could have imagined, never want to quit, but I need a better instrument.

I know I shouldn't have given away the first one, it was a gorgeous Agile AL-2000 in blue flame that I bought on the stellar reviews, though it was also really heavy (are all Les Pauls and clones like this?)

I really wanted an Epiphone SG-310 but the red finish for them seems to be so bright, plastic-looking, and cheap, not showing the wood grain at all, so I figured I'd have to go with the more expensive 400, but then I read all these things about the headstock tipping it over and reports of cheap electronics that break easily, while others think it's great. Hard to know who to listen to.

Also like the Squier Deluxe Strat, especially the cream-colored "white" one, and it's supposed to have a more mellow tone than the other Squier Strats. For that, people recommend the HSS versions, but there just aren't any that have the look I want, and they're all in the next bracket down in quality, so I know that I would be getting lesser-quality pickups with those versions than the Deluxe, even if I do get that additional "fat" sound I'd like to have.

I still like the looks of Les Pauls and clones, and haven't discounted getting another Agile, but it was heavy and I'd feel like I was going backwards to what I had before when I couldn't play. I guess that's a stupid reason and I know they have features of more expensive guitars and look amazing for the price.

My preferred style would edge closer to the Les Paul sound, but I love the samples I've heard of the Squier Deluxe too. I've gone back and forth over the model I "know" I want at least a dozen times now. I do plan to get more guitars, but only if/when I use this one for six months to a year so I know I'm in it for the long haul, plus I don't think my current skill level would be able to discern as much difference between the $300s and the $900s anyway.

This has been a lot longer than it should have, but thanks in advance for suggestions. I just got my account here and I know you guys must deal with a lot of these, but I can only look at so many YouTube videos before my brain gets overloaded and I just have to talk to someone that knows. It just feels like I can't possibly nail down that perfect guitar for me.
Quote by Vaultboy1911
Bet you guys are excited over this one.

I know you don't want my whole life story so here we go: wanted to learn guitar, bought one, didn't stick with it and couldn't get motivated, gave away that guitar, fast forward a couple years to now, wanted to learn again, have been using the program GuitarBots with a cheap acoustic, loving guitar more than I could have imagined, never want to quit, but I need a better instrument.

I know I shouldn't have given away the first one, it was a gorgeous Agile AL-2000 in blue flame that I bought on the stellar reviews, though it was also really heavy (are all Les Pauls and clones like this?)

I really wanted an Epiphone SG-310 but the red finish for them seems to be so bright, plastic-looking, and cheap, not showing the wood grain at all, so I figured I'd have to go with the more expensive 400, but then I read all these things about the headstock tipping it over and reports of cheap electronics that break easily, while others think it's great. Hard to know who to listen to.

Also like the Squier Deluxe Strat, especially the cream-colored "white" one, and it's supposed to have a more mellow tone than the other Squier Strats. For that, people recommend the HSS versions, but there just aren't any that have the look I want, and they're all in the next bracket down in quality, so I know that I would be getting lesser-quality pickups with those versions than the Deluxe, even if I do get that additional "fat" sound I'd like to have.

I still like the looks of Les Pauls and clones, and haven't discounted getting another Agile, but it was heavy and I'd feel like I was going backwards to what I had before when I couldn't play. I guess that's a stupid reason and I know they have features of more expensive guitars and look amazing for the price.

My preferred style would edge closer to the Les Paul sound, but I love the samples I've heard of the Squier Deluxe too. I've gone back and forth over the model I "know" I want at least a dozen times now. I do plan to get more guitars, but only if/when I use this one for six months to a year so I know I'm in it for the long haul, plus I don't think my current skill level would be able to discern as much difference between the $300s and the $900s anyway.

This has been a lot longer than it should have, but thanks in advance for suggestions. I just got my account here and I know you guys must deal with a lot of these, but I can only look at so many YouTube videos before my brain gets overloaded and I just have to talk to someone that knows. It just feels like I can't possibly nail down that perfect guitar for me.

The perfect guitar for you is the one you picked...because "you" picked it... Go to the guitar store and try a bunch out... You'll know it when you see and play it.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Jul 30, 2013,
^ This is a good idea. I'm partial to ESP/LTD so I always recommend their stuff. Check out the LTD Eclipse line. Some of the best looking pauls I've see.

Also the new Dean Zelinsky Private Labels are friggin' gorgeous, though I've never played or heard a review on one.

All said there is nothing wrong with getting a Squier either. Some of my friends have them, and flat out love 'em.
If you are dead set on sticking with guitar, go for the 600-700 range Epiphone's then you won't be able to blame any lack of skill on the guitar, and you won't need to trade up in like a year or two. personally I abhor Squier's because they sound and feel cheap. Japanese made strats are nice too and tend to be in the 600-700 range. The extra money is well worth it.

The other thing is to make sure that you get a decent amp, the amp affects tone far more than the guitar, and a good amp will prevent you from becoming dissuaded by having a horrible tone. Marshall's combo amp line are great, that's what I started with and they have great clean and distortion channels, they run about 200-300.

Gear that sounds and plays good will prevent you from becoming dissuaded with guitar.

Also stay away from Floyd rose bridges as a beginner or after a string break you are never going to want to change your strings.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by Danitarium

Also the new Dean Zelinsky Private Labels are friggin' gorgeous, though I've never played or heard a review on one.

With an intro price just over $600 for a Dean Z product with a hardshell case, I'm planning on getting one of those z-Glide Tagliares myself, but the closest thing I've seen to a review so far was a puff piece in Premier Guitar.

http://deanzelinsky.com/products/tagliare-z-glide-custom

http://www.premierguitar.com/blogs/5-daily-news/post/19369-dean-zelinsky-debuts-new-e-commerce-guitar-line
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 30, 2013,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 31, 2013,
My first guitar was a squier strat, I really didn't like it, it sounded cheap and noisy as hell. But anyway it was a low tier Squier.
I pretty much agree with everything KerNeL_KLuTcH has said.
That SG-400 does indeed tip. I did a trade for a Made in Korea one and it has some serious neck dive. Not a huge problem since I play sitting down and have a better SG if I ever play a gig or something.

Danny's got the real hookup for underrated versatile instruments. If I had the coin, I'd be looking into G&L right now.

Go to the guitar shop and play everything that looks cool. And don't spend 600-700 for an Epiphone, those are Gibson prices. If you're paying that much, you're probably overpaying unless it is an extremely deluxe model. Go used to save money, a mint-condition used guitar can sometimes be half the price of the new one.
Quote by samuraigoomba
The SG does indeed tip.

Fixed that for you.

Gibson just makes some horribly tippy guitar designs. Horribly heavy designs too. You'd almost think Gibson hates their customers. If they aren't falling down they're breaking your back!
Last edited by johnnykbop at Jul 31, 2013,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to look through all of them. And I will definitely go by the local guitar shop when I'm ready to buy, I just have to put some funds together for a bit and want to have a selection I've read good things about to look for. But on the subject of the Epiphone Sg400, is it a decent model? I really like the shape and style of it and want it to be good. I've read the neck falling issue can be mediated by a wider strap; is that a good way to deal with it?
The G-400 is pretty much the premium model of the Epiphone SGs. As long as you keep one hand on it the neck diving isn't too much of an issue, and a wider strap would at least slow the descent. Either way it's not like the thing unstoppably rockets towards the floor, it's just a mere annoyance. If you're set on the shape and style then I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

A great thing about Epiphone is they also release the 2NDs, not only do you get a great instrument for a lower price it also speaks wonders for their quality control. I had a Firebird Studio 2ND before, the cosmetic defect? A tiny chip was missing from the pickguard. You'd hardly notice it if you weren't looking and you'd hardly care if you were.
Quote by Vaultboy1911
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to look through all of them. And I will definitely go by the local guitar shop when I'm ready to buy, I just have to put some funds together for a bit and want to have a selection I've read good things about to look for. But on the subject of the Epiphone Sg400, is it a decent model? I really like the shape and style of it and want it to be good. I've read the neck falling issue can be mediated by a wider strap; is that a good way to deal with it?

I have a Viper-1000 to compare it to, and it compares favorably as far as tone goes (not as chimey, definitely "hotter" pickups). I was a bit surprised about the neck dive, because my LTD has an SG-ish body and it doesn't dive at all. But the strap is in a different spot, so that probably explains it. Keeping your hand on the neck will prevent it from dipping, but it's not the most comfortable way to play. I play sitting down. Gibson guitars do seem to be designed with little regard for comfort. Even the modified SG design LTD uses is a lot more comfortable for sitting or standing.

The exaggerated curves let the guitar sit better on your knee (it also adds more weight to the bottom end to tilt it up while standing), and the strap attaches higher up, near the outer edge of the body. The result is much less neck dive.

As for the quality, an SG-400 is probably about equivalent with an LP Standard (I guess?). You could certainly do worse. I'm just saying, the SG-400 I got is MIK and supposedly has Gibson pickups. And it's nice, but not amazing. So it's the cream of the SG-400 crop, and it's merely a nice instrument, nothing more.

I think the SG body style is my favorite. If that's how you feel, don't be limited by brands. Lower-end Gibson SG Studios often approach $400-500 used. A used LTD Deluxe Viper might get as low as $400. Lots of guitar manufacturers make SG-style guitars. Even Agile has the Valkyrie model, although it's probably no better than an SG-400. Do some looking, and more importantly, do some playing! Make sure you like how that type of guitar feels while you're playing it. I can't stand strat bodies, myself.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I was a bit surprised about the neck dive, because my LTD has an SG-ish body and it doesn't dive at all.

It doesn't dive because that extra large lobe where the jack is situated is heavy enough to offset the weight of the long neck.
Might I suggest ANY of the PRS SE series. Great feeling neck, excellent sound and play. Built excellent. Not all that heavy.

And regardless of what guitar you finally decide on. HAVE IT SETUP PROPERLY! It will make a world of difference in your enjoyment.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by johnnykbop
Fixed that for you.

Gibson just makes some horribly tippy guitar designs. Horribly heavy designs too. You'd almost think Gibson hates their customers. If they aren't falling down they're breaking your back!

I have an Epiphone Iommi SG and the Neck heavyness can be annoying but it's not a make or break for the guitar, I could see it being a problem if you are the lead singer in a band and don't always have your hand on the guitar neck but other than that it's really not that big of a problem.

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by johnnykbop
It doesn't dive because that extra large lobe where the jack is situated is heavy enough to offset the weight of the long neck.

that's exactly why ESP did that, Vipers are sick too, great for sludgy metal.

Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
that's exactly why ESP did that, Vipers are sick too, great for sludgy metal.

I didn't even realize that it was a deliberate design decision until this thread. I just thought LTD was trying to avoid infringing the Gibson copyright. Kind of like how LP copies have different headstocks or slightly tweaked bodies. The Viper body is incredibly comfortable compared to the Gibson SG body.
I'm looking at the ESP LTD line and rhey have some very cool models and color styles to choose from.
Last edited by Vaultboy1911 at Jul 31, 2013,