The other day, I was listening to a song and I thought that i heard some acoustic drumming in it. The thing is that most of the drums on the album this song came from are programmed drums. So I'm not 100% sure which one it could be. The question is how can you tell acoustic drums from programmed drums? Nowadays, drum machines are so sophisticated that I want to make sure.
If they're programmed well (and I mean very well), you shouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Most drum machines & software use sampled sounds, rather than synthesised sound, so there shouldn't be a difference there.

The main thing is that depending on the effort put into the programming, you may notice too much consistency in things like volume & tempo - slight variations in high hat volume for example may indicate real drums were used....however that can be programmed too. I know in a couple of my recordings I've deliberately programmed these slight variations, however those variations repeat every 8 bars, if someone was to put the effort in to make them random throughout a song, it would be harder to separate programmed drums from an acoustic set.

I'm sure more people will add more comparisons, but that's my two cents.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, I read a couple forum posts elsewhere that said the same thing. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna listen to it again and see if I can pick up some hints.
It's a fairly pointless exercise though, as both sampled and "real" drums are recorded drums.
I agree 99.78% with GaryBillington.
As stated above, if this is done correctly, you shouldn't hear a difference.
Many drums are triggered on recordings as well, so even if a kick sounds *too* consistent, it might still be played by a "real" drummer on the recording, even if it's triggered.

As for the part with a segment of like 8 bars or whatever length being varied, and then it repeats every 8 bars...that's not necessarily an indication either, as many parts are recorded, and then copy/pasted in songs, just for consistency and to save time and money. Nailing an entire long section in a song is realllllly difficult and time consuming.

So to reiterate. It's a pointless exercise. It doesn't matter.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
It's a fairly pointless exercise though, as both sampled and "real" drums are recorded drums.
I agree 99.78% with GaryBillington.
As stated above, if this is done correctly, you shouldn't hear a difference.
Many drums are triggered on recordings as well, so even if a kick sounds *too* consistent, it might still be played by a "real" drummer on the recording, even if it's triggered.

As for the part with a segment of like 8 bars or whatever length being varied, and then it repeats every 8 bars...that's not necessarily an indication either, as many parts are recorded, and then copy/pasted in songs, just for consistency and to save time and money. Nailing an entire long section in a song is realllllly difficult and time consuming.

So to reiterate. It's a pointless exercise. It doesn't matter.

i see your point.