Quite some time ago I posted a thread requesting for a tab of Soul Caravan by Vinnie Moore, but seeing as nobody has replied since then, I've decided to tab it out myself. The problem is I'm already stumped the moment the song starts.

At 0:00, the bass starts, along with a bell sound. What is making that bell sound? It doesn't sound like a guitar because it doesn't have the characteristic pick attack. Is it an actual bell on the percussion side?

At 00:14, the guitar enters with what sounds like a flanger pedal. Can somebody confirm this?

At 00:16, a second guitar enters with what sounds like a wah pedal. How is the sound produced? Is it just harmonics?

The next section at 00:18 sounds like the same is done, but with only dead notes. I would love confirmation with this.
First "bell" sound sounds like a china really quietly as well as a guitar playing a chord with a lot of sustain. I'd say a flanger but there's a phaser pedal there as well maybe? The wah bit starts off with a palm mute and then after it's just a fret hand mute (or whatever its called when you notate with an x). Good song, I'll have a go at tabbing it if I get time later.
The bell sounds like an electric piano or synth with a similar tone, but most likely isn't a guitar given the smooth nature of the song.

The effect on the second bit is most def a phaser, cuz a flanger has a slower and less 'wobble' like sound, a flanger sounds more like a slow wah.

The last bit is Vinnie simply muting and heavily plucking some artificial harmonics.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Hey guys. I'd love additional input on a later part. At 1:18, Vinnie plays a short lick. That would be a wah pedal right?

A few seconds later, from 1:21 to 1:35, are those simply pinch harmonics?
Last edited by triface at Aug 2, 2013,
@1:18 he's simply adding accents and bends to the lick while adding slight pinches to get some harmonics. And yeah, they're just pinch harmonics.

It can be deceptive when listening to a solo where a lick is played and it sounds like a wah but its really a bend played sharply.

Heavy wah sounds like this and this.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
@1:18 he's simply adding accents and bends to the lick while adding slight pinches to get some harmonics. And yeah, they're just pinch harmonics.

It can be deceptive when listening to a solo where a lick is played and it sounds like a wah but its really a bend played sharply.

Heavy wah sounds like this and this.

Hey, thanks! Now that there's a comparison I feel kind of silly for thinking that's a wah pedal.

Love SS too!