Hey guys!
I'm planning to do some recording with e-guitar and e-bass. The interface I use is the Zoom G2Nu (Cubase for editing). I already tried a few times, but the recorded instruments never sounded as "crunchy" as they would if I plugged them into a speaker... Do you have any tips for me (apart from buying new strings)? Which effects should I use? Compressor, Reverb,...? I'm playing funk, so I'd like both instruments to have a clean sound...
Thank you!!
Ernst
Last edited by Kubi92 at Jul 31, 2013,
You're using a cheap interface and expecting to get good results. That being said, I'm a believer in low end gear even though I work at a hifi studio.

You might try speaker emulation. That seems to have the biggest effect on amp sims that I've come across. Compression is also always useful on (especially DI'd) bass and funky guitar as well.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well...it's pretty literal: Speaker emulators emulate speakers. If you're struggling with the word emulate and don't feel like looking it up, the units basically add a virtual speaker to your recording chain. Part of what we recognize and love about amp "tone" is the sounds of the speakers. Take away the speaker and you're missing a big part of the equation.

You might be able to find plug ins that will work with Cubase but most of the decent speaker emulators I've seen are outboard.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712