Hey guys,

here's a few more contenders for my new head

I play mainly drop tuned (B), I currently have a Bugera 6260 but really fancy an upgrade with something that isn't as noisey and isn't quite as compressed sounding if you know what I mean.

Can I have your thoughts on the above amps?
Last edited by sonicst at Aug 7, 2013,
Does the Bugera sound noisy and compressed because the volume is turned low while the gain is turned up?
Too noisy and compressed? Sounds like you just need to turn the gain down a little.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
TBH, none of those amps will be better for drop B than the amp you already have

Turn down your gain, anything over 6 is just overkill. My 5150 doesn't go over 4.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you really want an upgrade, any of the choices you've listed would be more reliable and a better value-for-money than the Bugera. The Orange and Marshall probably won't handle Drop B too well, the Jet City will probably do it better than those two, but you should be able to get a great sound out of the Bugera. They're very similar copies of the 5150.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Lower your gain, and try to find some better preamp tubes that helps lower noise.
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
Last edited by Greed18 at Jul 31, 2013,
Quote by sonicst
I currently have a Bugera 6260 but really fancy an upgrade with something that isn't as noisey and isn't quite as compressed sounding if you know what I mean.

I don't know what you mean.

Tell us what bands (albums, songs) have a sound you'd like to get close to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i have one of them harley benton vintage cabs, with two vintage 30's in it, so its a pretty decent cab.

As far as sound i like the 6260's tone and i wont be selling it i jsut want something a little more organic if you know what i mean?

As far as tone i really like jim roots tone but am also a massive fan of people like zakk wylde's drive sound
Where are you located?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am located in Manchester England,

My budget is about £500 new or used
You might like the:
Laney GH50/100/100TI
Laney VH100r
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100

If you really like Jim Root, the Orange #4 amp might be worth looking at.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sonicst

As far as tone i really like jim roots tone but am also a massive fan of people like zakk wylde's drive sound

Quote by sonicst
I am located in Manchester England,

My budget is about £500 new or used

I'm thinking a high gain Marshall should work for you, the first thing that comes to mind is the TSL, but also look at the DSL and the SL-X.

+1 to Laney VH100. It will give you a good clean channel to work with too.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They all sound really interesting,

The Jim root terror is great but its only single challenge and 15 watt probably wouldn't do for gigs (enough to cut through anyway)
Last edited by sonicst at Aug 1, 2013,
Quote by sonicst
They all sound really interesting,

The Jime root terror is great but its only single challenge and 15 watt probably wouldn't do for gigs (enough to cut through anyway)

I would not get the #4 for playing gigs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MatrixClaw
TBH, none of those amps will be better for drop B than the amp you already have

Turn down your gain, anything over 6 is just overkill. My 5150 doesn't go over 4.

pfft what the **** do you know.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Raijouta
If you really want an upgrade, any of the choices you've listed would be more reliable and a better value-for-money than the Bugera. The Orange and Marshall probably won't handle Drop B too well, the Jet City will probably do it better than those two, but you should be able to get a great sound out of the Bugera. They're very similar copies of the 5150.

I have the Orange and it handles drop B fine. Well probably, I don't play in drop B, but I play in Drop A and Drop A#.

That said, I'd keep the Bugera, unless you're really scared of it breaking down on you. Just properly dial it in.
So as you may have seen on my other thread the Bugera has broken down on me,

I am starting a tour from next week and therefore i need a new amp.

The above amps are still the front runners. Has anyone ogt ideas on what they says best

Here are my thoughts

Marshall JDM - Classic marshall tone, can run digital pre-amp stright out to fron of house in teh case of valve faults. Very versatile. But does it sound as good as everyone says it does????

JCA 100 HDM, - These look killer (if you can get hold of them) but both this and the marshall would be the same price. Is the marshall a better buy?

Peavey JSX - Woudl be used hence would ahve no warranty etc, however does that really matter?

Orange - At the high end of my bracket to be honest i would be really pushing my limits for one of these.
Quote by sonicst
So as you may have seen on my other thread the Bugera has broken down on me,

I am starting a tour from next week and therefore i need a new amp.

The above amps are still the front runners. Has anyone ogt ideas on what they says best

Here are my thoughts

Marshall JDM - Classic marshall tone, can run digital pre-amp stright out to fron of house in teh case of valve faults. Very versatile. But does it sound as good as everyone says it does????

JCA 100 HDM, - These look killer (if you can get hold of them) but both this and the marshall would be the same price. Is the marshall a better buy?

Peavey JSX - Woudl be used hence would ahve no warranty etc, however does that really matter?

Orange - At the high end of my bracket to be honest i would be really pushing my limits for one of these.

I've always been of the opinion that you don't need a warranty if you're buying a well built amp in the first place. The JSX definitely falls in that category.

I wouldn't really recommend a JSX for Drop B, but at the same time I would recommend a JSX a lot higher than any of the other stuff you mentioned for Drop B.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I still get the feeling that a Marshall TSL would be a good choice for you.

For what it's worth, I was able to dial in a good "Before I Forget" tone on a 6505+. I think that it's a good choice, considering you're assumed budget (I'm assuming you can't get a Rockerverb or a Thunderverb or a Rivera or anything like that). It doesn't really have a British feel, but it'll hold together a lot better at that low tuning than most British amps will.

A good balance might be the 6534+, but they're relatively rare, and I think they hold their value pretty well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go play them and decide for yourself. Also don't leave out the Laney Ironheart from your test drives
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I really didn't like the tsl at all.

Imo i don't think the s-lx would do you best

I love my orange for C#std but i don't think irs the best for your budget..

I have never played downtuned on a JSX so i can't say, but they are very nice and flexible but they have a lack punch on the gut like a 6505 or rec.

Its a solid amp.
I sa
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
does anyone have any experience with the marshall JMD

it seems a solid amp, valve power amp, versatile adn if a valve does you can run the preamp straight to front of house. Any thoughts?
On that budget and that choice, the Orange.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by sonicst
does anyone have any experience with the marshall JMD

it seems a solid amp, valve power amp, versatile adn if a valve does you can run the preamp straight to front of house. Any thoughts?

The Jet City is much, much better for the same price. I don't think I'd recommend it for that music, though I've seen people use them for metal with no problem.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Which Orange are you talking?

The Orange

i think they are talking about the Thunder 30 in the thread's title
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by patriotplayer90
The Jet City is much, much better for the same price. I don't think I'd recommend it for that music, though I've seen people use them for metal with no problem.

Which amp wouldn't you suggest? The Marshall or the jet city?
I Have a Marshall JCM2000 and I would take the Jet City over that Marshall JMD any day (that is marshalls Vypyr tube/spider valve). The JCA100 HDM is a budget Soldano HR Avenger.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 6, 2013,
On the jet cities I can get the

50h for about 250

Or

100hdm for 450

Do you think the hdm is worth the extra
Quote by sonicst

50h for about 250

Or

100hdm for 450

It's a nicer amp, but not $200 nicer IMO.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by sonicst

50h for about 250

Or

100hdm for 450

IMO, you're better off getting the 50H, then pick up a 10-band EQ later if you feel the need.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Can the JCA 50's get a good metal tone? i would say the tone i was after was similr to that of Jim root, Not too much distortion, almost classic amp phrasing, but with a fair kick to it for some chugging. however i still have my Bugera for all out death chug

Im open to all suggestions around that price range,

I plan on goign on tour reasonably soon and i need something that can take bein knocked around etc and still deliver.
Quote by Offworld92
It's a nicer amp, but not $200 nicer IMO.

I think the added headroom, punch, and depth control are worth the Difference. These amps can sounds pretty thin at lower volumes, so a depth control helps. But it's not a night and day difference in terms of quality.
Quote by sonicst
Can the JCA 50's get a good metal tone? i would say the tone i was after was similr to that of Jim root, Not too much distortion, almost classic amp phrasing, but with a fair kick to it for some chugging. however i still have my Bugera for all out death chug

Im open to all suggestions around that price range,

I plan on goign on tour reasonably soon and i need something that can take bein knocked around etc and still deliver.
Job for a Cowboy is touring with them if that says anything.

I have the 100h andI'm still absolutely clueless as to how people are still saying it's not a suitable metal amp. Not even with the gain at 5 I find it still has too much drive for what I usually do.

In your case I'd recommend grabbing a graphic EQ to go with it. Not particularly needed but will make things better.
I have to say it is the more appealing choice as i coudl grap an eq the head and still have some beer money in comparison to the others
Quote by sonicst
I have to say it is the more appealing choice as i coudl grap an eq the head and still have some beer money in comparison to the others

Sounds like a plan, if I ever heard one

I find the JCA50H to actually be quite versatile. With the lead channel, I can take it from a slightly broken up blusy tone, to full out metal. If you really want it to scream, just throw a tube screamer on top.

After reading reviews/forums before buy the amp, I was skeptical about the amps ability to achieve a good clean tone, but once I got it, I was very pleasently suprised. Don't listen to the naysayers

I'll be the first to admit that its no fender or vox shimmery clean, but I think its great. And if you want to push it's pre-gain, you can get an amazing OD tone out of it.

If you're interested in hearing what the clean channel can sound like, PM me and I'll send you a new track from my bands upcoming album!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
sounds good ,

My problem is the same as many peoples nowadays, there isnt anywhere you can try most of these amps out. thats the most annoying factor
Quote by sonicst
sounds good ,

My problem is the same as many peoples nowadays, there isnt anywhere you can try most of these amps out. thats the most annoying factor

I know the feeling.

I bought mine without ever trying it. Luckly it worked out for me, and I'm happy with the amp.

Like I mentioned before, I can send you some professional recordings of me using the amp, but its still not the same as trying it yourself.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H