Hey guy

I'm having a lot of trouble with my string tension, that I'm rushing to sort before a gig on saturday, it would be great if you guys could help me out!

Basically I play a Jim Root Telecaster with Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky Strings (Heavy Gauge). I recently changed my strings, which i'm terrible at, and always have been for my entire guitar playing life. After I'd finished I began to play, (metal rythym guitar, so its important for my strings to be tight) the strings were very loose and makes my playing sound extremely messy.

The things that people normally say for this problem that I have done are
- I've used heavy strings
- I've adjusted (raised) my action.

I wasn't having this problem before I changed my strings, despite some minor action issues which i hadn't been bothered to sort until after i put the new ones on. The strings are on relatively neatly, with no overlapping, the only thing I would say is that they are coiled round a 3, 4 and 5 times in places, could this be the problem?

Thanks for reading guys!
what tuning are you playing in?
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by Roc8995
Are you sure you're not down an octave?

This. No way your strings should qualify as "floppy" if they're up to pitch.
Agreed, you're an octave down. Change strings one at a time instead of all at once and you should be able to bring each string up to pitch with those around it before fully tuning them all.
Hey guys, thanks for replying.

Sorry i should have said I'm in drop B tuning. And yes my guitar is definately tuned to the right octave. I also changed my strings one at a time. Really stumped on how to sort this out without having to take into a guitar shop
well, there is a reason 7 strings and baritones tend to have longer neck scales. I have a friend who plays in drop B on a six string and it's always floppy. You're not going to get around that on a fender 6 string.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

What gauge are those strings?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What gauge do you use for standard tuning? If it's like 10s or 11s, you won't be happy with the tension of drop tunings.

Have you used this tuning before on this guitar?

Have you changed string brands?

What gauge are you trying now?
Yeah, that set is completely stupid.

I use a 56 for drop D.

You should look into mixing a larger set of strings for the lower 3 strings if you like the tension on the high strings.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I just looked them up and that is really stupid. Get a pack of a different brand in 12's or 13's.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by kurt_cobain9
well, there is a reason 7 strings and baritones tend to have longer neck scales. I have a friend who plays in drop B on a six string and it's always floppy. You're not going to get around that on a fender 6 string.

Its never been a problem in the 3 or 4 years i've been playing in Drop B, and the guitar is the Jim Root signature, who has always played in that tuning.

Thanks for pointing out the change in strings though, usually I use D'addario Baritone Lights, which are 0.13 to 0.62, I just couldn't get my hands on them at the time and bought the ernie balls instead. I have used these ernie balls before, and I can't remember such a significant change in tension.
Quote by moinhussain92
Thanks for pointing out the change in strings though, usually I use D'addario Baritone Lights, which are 0.13 to 0.62, I just couldn't get my hands on them at the time and bought the ernie balls instead. I have used these ernie balls before, and I can't remember such a significant change in tension.

I read that D'Addario use a hex core, while Ernie Ball uses a round core, so even on the same gauge the D'Addarios will feel stiffer.
56 gauge on low B in normal scale guitar is too thin. Too floppy for heavy playing. I consider 60 a minimum myself. So yes, if the set is too floppy you need to go bigger. A D'addario 12-60 set or equivalent at minimum.
I have noticed that EB does not really have a good set for baritone tunings on normal scales so your best bets are sticking to daddario baritone strings or DR DDT strings.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 3, 2013,
Quote by johnnykbop
I read that D'Addario use a hex core, while Ernie Ball uses a round core, so even on the same gauge the D'Addarios will feel stiffer.

No, EB have a hex core. Very few string makers use a round core, DR is the only company I know of that makes a round core electric string.