I've been looking at a few Overdrive boxes; mainly the 'Way Huge Green Rhino MkII' the 'Ibanez Tube Screamer' and 'Fulltone OCD'. I want a gritty hard rock sound, and I want the box to be fairly versatile to fit different rock and blues styles if possible.

I play a lot of punk such as Green Day and Offspring, but I also play harder rock like Bullet for my Valentine and Black Veil Brides. Any suggestions on good Overdrive pedals I can find to help boost my signal?
You are VERY conservative with your genre and gain descriptions.

An overdrive will not cut it for you, at all. Getting one pedal for both types of sounds will also be difficult, but a higher end pedal made for the heavier stuff might be able to be dialed back to give you an acceptable sound for the lower gain stuff.

Look at the Wampler Triple Wreck, it should give you enough range.

If budget isn't an issue, I'd get something like a Wampler Plextortion for the rockier stuff, and an Amptweaker Tight Metal for the modern metal stuff.

If budget is an issue, look at the Hardwire Metal Distortion. Not a lot of great choices in the lower budget range, but that's one you can work with.

And finally, what is your budget, what amp are you using, and where in the world are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Fulltone Plimsoul may be up your alley as you can mix soft clipping and hard clipping to your liking. I've seen the pedal on a lot of metal player's board's and on a lot of blues board's too. But as with the above post a distortion pedal might be more up your alley.
You don't mention the signal chain, so we have no clue what to recommend.
Off the bat I'd say Blackstar HT-Dual Metal will probably cover that stuff but it is not really an overdrive pedal but a distortion with 2 channels.
Haha sorry for being so vague. I'm using a small Fender Mustang II (Not the best amp in the world haha) and I have a very long signal chain with a whammy>wah>dist.>fuzz>noise surpr.>phase 90>delay. I already have a distortion, and I was only thinking of Overdrive because the distortion I have works pretty good with the open chords but is very weak on the high solos. The fuzz is more suited for garage punk stuff. So maybe its just my distortion that I have that is the problem

Thanks for the suggestions
Quote by HockeyRobo
Haha sorry for being so vague. I'm using a small Fender Mustang II (Not the best amp in the world haha) and I have a very long signal chain with a whammy>wah>dist.>fuzz>noise surpr.>phase 90>delay. I already have a distortion, and I was only thinking of Overdrive because the distortion I have works pretty good with the open chords but is very weak on the high solos. The fuzz is more suited for garage punk stuff. So maybe its just my distortion that I have that is the problem

I'd look at a new amp before getting another pedal. One that will actually suit the music you like.
Save some money and just grab a Bad Monkey.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
New amp for sure
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by HockeyRobo

You have a modeling amp, and it's actually one of the better ones. You're using it wrong - the point of a modeling amp is that you don't have to use pedals. They're not very good as clean platforms. Try using the built in models and FX to build the sounds you want, without any pedals.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Of the pedals you mentioned, i think the OCD is your best bet. It's a more aggressive overdrive to the point where is basically distortion.
However, offworld92 is correct too. Try messing around with your amp a bit and see if you can get something you like, because it doesnt make too much sense to run an overdrive into a modeling amp
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
CMAT MODS Signa drive. its 3 pedals in 1. first off, its a very natural sounding crunch. you can easily use it my itself on a clean channel and it sounds good enough to mistake it for natural tube breakup, almost.

secondly, it had a switch which makes it go from a tube screamer with more gain on tap, a clean boost basically (with subtle gain if you crank it) and a very open OD, not as mid heavy or focused as a screamer.

It is also very transparent. so if you want to boost your amp or sound very natural, the 2 settings are great, if you want to cut or have a middy sound use the screamer setting, or use the screamer in conjunction with your amp gain etc to tighten the mids etc as any player would in a higher gain setup.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Offworld92
You have a modeling amp, and it's actually one of the better ones. You're using it wrong - the point of a modeling amp is that you don't have to use pedals. They're not very good as clean platforms. Try using the built in models and FX to build the sounds you want, without any pedals.

The affects found on the amp are terrible. I play my effects through a clean "Twin Reverb" preset which is the only preset worth using.
?????? wha? generally i find cheaper solid states or modeling amps to have pretty acceptable cleans and absolute ear bleeding, piss poor, god awful, shame to music drive channels.

i was even messing with my line 6 spider the other day, which is my summer cookout lawn sound system for my i pod, and i found that with a guitar the clean is actually....not bad. been 4-5 years since i played through the thing but really i was impressed.

i DONT change the channel however. oh god. anything but that. anything. not a usable effect or gain setting on the amp. VOMIT.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I owned a Line 6 Spider and various other solid state modelling amps since I've been playing and found their cleans sterile...very sterile..and the effects passable at best. I would seriously look at like a JCA or something similar.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Jul 31, 2013,
Quote by HockeyRobo
The affects found on the amp are terrible. I play my effects through a clean "Twin Reverb" preset which is the only preset worth using.

I find that hard to believe. How long did you spend trying to actually create a patch? From scratch, not stock patches.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I find that hard to believe. How long did you spend trying to actually create a patch? From scratch, not stock patches.

I'm telling you I've spent hours messing with that amp and sure the clean and reverb are fine, but the distortion and other effects are just ear-sores. But i'll go give it another try and see If I can fine some good crunchy sounds by messing around

thanks!
I'm just looking at the models list, try the American 2000 with all EQ on 5, put an Overdrive in front with the gain on 0 and the level on 10, then just EQ from there.

EDIT: Wait, can you not create patches on the I/II? It seems that way from the manual. If you can't, I would just sell the amp, honestly. Start from scracth. I already thought only the Mustang III was worth getting because for some unfathomable rason it's the smallest one with a 3 band EQ, but if you're limited in programming the II, then there is definitely no reason to get anything smaller than a III.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 1, 2013,
I personally vouch for the OCD because it can go from a slight over drive to distorted sounds easily. I rarely put the drive knob past 11 o' clock and all my distortion needs are fulfilled.
Have you tried plugging in the "aux"? Not sure how that will fare but usually when I am putting fx I bypass the pre on my Champion but it is a true ss two channel amp so maybe that won't work too well on yours. Worth a shot though as it seems you've accumulated all these effects.