So a while back I bought a nice BC Rich Warlock, came with standard 9-42 strings on it. I decided to up them to 10-46 because I'm more comfortable with them and I never adjusted the truss rod.
So a couple days ago I was playing my friend's guitar, and he has 13-56 strings. I like the feel of them, so I figured I'd pick them up. But I play in E standard, and if I put on strings that thick without adjusting the truss rod won't it damage the neck? How much would I have to adjust it to keep the guitar healthy?
What you do is put the new strings on and then check what the neck relief looks like and adjust it accordingly. Jen explains it here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
After viewing that, I only have one concern.
That guide requires you to have already strung your guitar. but if i string up 13 gauges and go straight to E standard, won't that cause neck damage or even snap the strings?
No, it won't damage anything in the short term. Put them on, check and adjust.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Really? That seems surprising to me, because when I put on fresh 10's and go straight to standard they seem pretty tense. Are you sure they won't snap or anything?
Yes, it will be fine. Check the relief straight away though, don't leave it for a week before sorting it out. Check as soon as you put them on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just check and adjust the neck relief as soon as I put the strings on? Seems easy enough. Thanks for the help
Just on a side note, which way should I turn it if I have too much bend and which way should I turn it if I don't have enough?
Quote by adamXaffliction
Just on a side note, which way should I turn it if I have too much bend and which way should I turn it if I don't have enough?

You'll figure it out.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

the change from 10 to 13 is drastic, you will definitely need adjustment. however, it will certainly not do HARM like you think. just listen to cath.

personally, if i was doing it, i would give it a good 1/8 turn tighter to start off. every guitar is different so i cant tell you, but i know my guitar would need that easily if not more. i have a rough idea of my the neck on my guitar would react after ive ecperimented with different string guages before.

but in general, any normal 1-2 guages up or down, let the neck move, and you adjust. dont do any guess work or crazy pre-emptive moves. its not that big of a deal.

also - its wood. its a gradual change. to get it right may take days if not weeks, and slight monitoring and adjustment. its wood, it doesnt move that fast.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)