The bassist in my band recently purchased an Ashdown ABM EVO II 4x10 combo (we've all been upgrading our gear so it's a learning curve, but I digress) - sounds very punchy and clear - but we were looking for a little extra bottom end. Specifically we were wondering if the amp could run a 1x15 cab SIMULTANEOUSLY with the internal 4x10, or what it would take to wire it to do so, or if it is even possible. We can get an ABM 1x15 cab pretty cheap locally, which would be a dream.

INFORMATION/MUSING I CAN PROVIDE:
- The RMS output of the combo is 575W, into "4 ohms minimum"
- The cable for the internal speaker is a Jack connection, the external connection, however, is a speakon (thought it might be a hybrid that accepts a jack, haven't actually checked)
- I have no idea if the internal 4x10 runs at the full 575W or not
- The cab we were looking at is "300W continuous, 600W programme" at 8 ohms
- If it is possible to run both with some internal dabbling/re-wiring, I know a tech I'm confident could do it, for a fee at least, don't be afraid to suggest

Cheeersss
What you haven't told us is what impedance the 410 is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ab ovo
The bassist in my band recently purchased an Ashdown ABM EVO II 4x10 combo (we've all been upgrading our gear so it's a learning curve, but I digress) - sounds very punchy and clear - but we were looking for a little extra bottom end. Specifically we were wondering if the amp could run a 1x15 cab SIMULTANEOUSLY with the internal 4x10, or what it would take to wire it to do so, or if it is even possible. We can get an ABM 1x15 cab pretty cheap locally, which would be a dream.

well, i DL'ed the manual and it is pretty cryptic. it just states there is a 'required 4 ohm minimum load', but it says nothing about the how the native speakers are wired. i am also a bit unsure exactly how they have the speakers connected, for example this seems like your back panel

are the native speakers plugged into "speaker outputs" jack?

Quote by ab ovo
INFORMATION/MUSING I CAN PROVIDE:
- The RMS output of the combo is 575W, into "4 ohms minimum"
- The cable for the internal speaker is a Jack connection, the external connection, however, is a speakon (thought it might be a hybrid that accepts a jack, haven't actually checked)

it seems that the speak-on / quarter inch jack are connectors for the same out, you can either choose to use 1/4" jack or the speaker-on jack but i don't think you can use both.

Quote by ab ovo
- I have no idea if the internal 4x10 runs at the full 575W or not

to find out you'd need to look at the speakers and find the impedance on how they are wired. i have done this a number of times to find out certain values of speaker cabs. i would actually expect to find four 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel inside that cab.

Quote by ab ovo
- The cab we were looking at is "300W continuous, 600W programme" at 8 ohms

if the internal 4x10 is rated for 8 ohm (this would be four 8 ohm speakers wired in series-parallel) then that would be a great match. but we have no clue what the internal speakers are wired up to be.

Quote by ab ovo
- If it is possible to run both with some internal dabbling/re-wiring, I know a tech I'm confident could do it, for a fee at least, don't be afraid to suggest

the easiest way to run the extra cab would be run get a speaker 'Y' cable or daisy chain the cabs together. but it is still no clear what the impedance value of the internal speakers is, if they are wired for 4 ohms then you will not be able to run another cabinet with that amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Cathbard
What you haven't told us is what impedance the 410 is.

The 4x10 is internal to the combo, hence it doesn't say anywhere what its impedance is. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual either, apologies.
Quote by ab ovo
The 4x10 is internal to the combo, hence it doesn't say anywhere what its impedance is. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual either, apologies.

he is right though, we will need that info to come to a conclusion. would you be willing to crack you cabinet open to find out? that is the only way i can think of how to do it.

-ae
gumbilicious:

yes I agree, the manual isn't particularly informative from a technical standpoint, and there is already cable from the internal speakers into the 1/4 jack speaker output on the back (the speakon has nothing in it).

I'll open it up and put a multimeter to it. If it turns out to be 8 ohms (I believe this is the mostly likely configuration as the equivalent 4x10 ABM cabinet Ashdown make runs at 8ohms) what would be the most efficient way to connect a cabinet, from your suggestions? Does it also depend on the wattage of the 4x10?
Last edited by ab ovo at Jul 31, 2013,
Quote by ab ovo
gumbilicious:

yes I agree, the manual isn't particularly informative from a technical standpoint, and there is already cable from the internal speakers into the 1/4 jack speaker output on the back (the speakon has nothing in it).

well, that isn't a good sign. if it's only speaker out jack is already taken up by the native speakers then it is most likely optimized to work with itself. in other words: most likely the cab is wired for 4 ohms.

Quote by ab ovo
I'll open it up and put a multimeter to it. If it turns out to be 8 ohms (I believe this is the mostly likely configuration as the equivalent 4x10 ABM cabinet Ashdown make runs at 8ohms) what would be the most efficient way to connect a cabinet, from your suggestions? Does it also depend on the wattage of the 4x10?

the the speaker is 8 ohm then the multimeter will probably read ~6 ohms, if the speaker is 4 ohms then the multimeter will probably read around 2.5 to 3 ohms. that is just the way that stuff works.

if the internal speakers are indeed wired for 8 ohms and the internal speakers are plugged into the speaker out jack then you'll probably need something like this:

get one of those made outta speaker cable. you'd pull out the native speaker jack outta the 'speaker out' jack and insert that instead. then you'd plug the native speakers into one side of the adapter and hook a speaker cable to the other side of the adapter and run that speaker cable to the 15" cab.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 31, 2013,
I agree that is a bad sign but I will hope for the best, no way of telling yet. One final question, is the wattage rating a concern for bass amps? I have run my own 55 watt combo into cabinets of ~300 watts without it sounding fluffy or choked, but I have no idea how a bass cab will respond if the wattage isn't matched. Cheers, you've been a great help
Quote by ab ovo
I agree that is a bad sign but I will hope for the best, no way of telling yet. One final question, is the wattage rating a concern for bass amps? I have run my own 55 watt combo into cabinets of ~300 watts without it sounding fluffy or choked, but I have no idea how a bass cab will respond if the wattage isn't matched. Cheers, you've been a great help

wattage is just a rate of energy conversion, in particular you send an electric current into the speaker's voice coil to induce a magnetic field that reacts with the fixed magnet and it moves the speaker cone. the wattage rating just lets you know how much current you can run through the voice coil before you start having problems (like wires melting).

so there is nothing to be concerned about with running something like a 50 watt amp into a 300 watt rated cab. that has a similar effect of running 45 mph in your car with tires rated for 125 mph, it doesn't really effect performance.

if your bass amp puts out like 575 watts RMS of power max, then when you plug another cabinet up to it (assuming the impedance between cabs is the same) then both cabs would be 'seeing' a little under 300 watts a piece. as long as your cabs are seeing wattage at or below their power handling rating then you are fine.

bassically, there is no need to 'match' wattages of cabs. you just need to make sure you don't exceed a cabs power handling capabilities cuz you can blow speaker. (much like running 150 mph on tires rated for 125 mph can pop tires)

good luck

-ae