Hi, I have been playing guitar for jus less than a year and mostly in my bedroom. I am now looking to go for a better guitar and tube combo amp.

Genres I Play: Classic Rock (Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, UFO etc)
Heavy Metal( Excluding extreme metal and nu-metal i play most stuff)
some blues rock

Budget: Under 1000 USD ( Guitar + tube combo amp)

Band+gig: will be playing mostly in medium sized bar or pub with 200-250 people max
and i mostly just play with a drummer.

Preferred brands: mostly because of availability issues
Guitar(Ibanez, Yamaha, Jackson, PRS, ESP, GIbson, Epiphone,
Dean, BC Rich and fender)

Amp( Roland, Laney, Peavy, Marshall, vox)

Condition: Looking for "New" gear.

cheers!
I know you said you wanted new gear, but you could snag up a nice amp like a Peavey JSX for $500-$600 used at a Guitar Center. Then you could use the rest of the budget to get a $400-$500 guitar. That'd probably be my suggestion.

Strictly new for everything, I'd look into a Vypyr Tube 60 for versatility. Could also get a 6505 combo and throw an overdrive in front of the "clean" channel to get some blues based stuff.

I'm not as good at suggesting guitars. I own a PRS Tremonti SE, and it's definitely versatile enough to handle all your playing styles, but there's a lot of other things you could pick as well in the price range.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by TremontiAddict
I know you said you wanted new gear, but you could snag up a nice amp like a Peavey JSX for $500-$600 used at a Guitar Center. Then you could use the rest of the budget to get a $400-$500 guitar. That'd probably be my suggestion.

Strictly new for everything, I'd look into a Vypyr Tube 60 for versatility. Could also get a 6505 combo and throw an overdrive in front of the "clean" channel to get some blues based stuff.

I'm not as good at suggesting guitars. I own a PRS Tremonti SE, and it's definitely versatile enough to handle all your playing styles, but there's a lot of other things you could pick as well in the price range.

Thanks for the suggestions Actually finding good used gear in my town is a little difficult that is why i thought of going for a new one.
Sounds like you need to go to the biggest guitar store you can find and spend a day to get an idea of your intentions.

+1 to Tremonti's "recco" otherwise. My guess is the Vyper Tube is the way to go for you. As far as guitar, it could be any
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Sounds like you need to go to the biggest guitar store you can find and spend a day to get an idea of your intentions.

+1 to Tremonti's "recco" otherwise. My guess is the Vyper Tube is the way to go for you. As far as guitar, it could be any

Ya and that is what i plan on doing as well but just wanted to get a rough idea as to what would be best suited for me
Last edited by sundar334 at Aug 1, 2013,
If its guitar center, definitely check the used section.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
If its guitar center, definitely check the used section.

will do.
checkout www.rondomusic.com agiles are very nice guitars for the money.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear will give you access to all the GC stores used gear in the USA.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh and btw should i go for a guitar that is about 300$ or so like an yamaha and then install nice pickups on it or should i go for a guitar which would be slightly better but costs more. I am confused as i would be changing the stock pickups anyway and from the little i have learned it seems like your playing style and pickups are what contributes to the tone.
Honestly, I'd say as long as the guitar feels good to play, buy a cheaper one and upgrade the PUPs/buy a nicer amp with the money you save. Can always splurge on a nice guitar down the road. The electronics affect your tone a lot more than the guitar. One of those Agile guitars would do the trick.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by TremontiAddict
Honestly, I'd say as long as the guitar feels good to play, buy a cheaper one and upgrade the PUPs/buy a nicer amp with the money you save. Can always splurge on a nice guitar down the road. The electronics affect your tone a lot more than the guitar. One of those Agile guitars would do the trick.

Thanks, because i don't wanna spend so much on a guitar now as i am not very experienced. As suggested by you i am actually thinking of spending little more on amp and pickups.
Oh actually Agile guitars aren't available easily where i live , ny other brands which i should check?
It's more about personal preference and budget than "brands" with a guitar. You'll find one you like.
If you buy used from gc, odds are you won't get ripped off. They have to compete with Craigslist now so their prices are usually pretty good for used gear.

+1 for Agile. If you're considering Epiphone, consider ordering an Agile.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 2, 2013,
Yeah I'd run down to a music store and just play a handful of ones in your price range. Pick the one that feels the best and is in good condition.

Quote by Cathbard
I have found that Peavey 6505+ 112 combo can be found very easily where i live and somewhat affordable too. By reading other threads i have found that many seem to change the speaker to V30 and replace the tubes with JJs. As per the music genres i like should i go for the same mods?
Personally I think at this stage the amp will end up being backup or throwaway so spend at least half of the budget on the guitar if not more. Epi, PRS SE, Shcecter, LTD and G&L import series are a good start. I'd advise against a Chinese guitar since I haven't been crazy by the QC so something made in Korea or Japan would be nice. Second hand guitar purchasing is not a bad thing either, as usually they're not as beat up as amps could get, so you might want to consider looking up some local stores for used or the ads. You can negotiate the prices down further on used gear as well.

Amps - I think you'd be ok with Peavey Valveking, Windsor or Crate Palomino. Might want to look into the VT series by Vox as well.
Quote by diabolical
Personally I think at this stage the amp will end up being backup or throwaway so spend at least half of the budget on the guitar if not more. Epi, PRS SE, Shcecter, LTD and G&L import series are a good start. I'd advise against a Chinese guitar since I haven't been crazy by the QC so something made in Korea or Japan would be nice. Second hand guitar purchasing is not a bad thing either, as usually they're not as beat up as amps could get, so you might want to consider looking up some local stores for used or the ads. You can negotiate the prices down further on used gear as well.

Amps - I think you'd be ok with Peavey Valveking, Windsor or Crate Palomino. Might want to look into the VT series by Vox as well.

Ya actually for guitar i was thinking of maybe getting an Ibanez RGA42 or something similar as they seem to be good and kinda cheap as well. Funny you should mention valveking and vt100 i am confused between those and 6505+ 112.
Quote by sundar334
I have found that Peavey 6505+ 112 combo can be found very easily where i live and somewhat affordable too. By reading other threads i have found that many seem to change the speaker to V30 and replace the tubes with JJs. As per the music genres i like should i go for the same mods?

I would not get a 6505 for what you want to play.

The holy grail for thrash and classic rock, JCM800: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-1982-MARSHALL-JCM800-COMBO-040113-108833151-i3070507.gc

DSL401: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-JCM2000-DSL401-1X12-COMBO-108959253-i3112290.gc

As for the guitar, maybe something like an Epi LP Standard? http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-EPIPHONE-LES-PAUL-STANDARD-109251340-i3266643.gc

There's not much Jet City on GC used right now, but keep your eyes open for a
Jet City JCA5012C.

The new Marshall DSL40C is worth looking at too, there aren't any of those used either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I would not get a 6505 for what you want to play.

The holy grail for thrash and classic rock, JCM800: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-1982-MARSHALL-JCM800-COMBO-040113-108833151-i3070507.gc

DSL401: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-JCM2000-DSL401-1X12-COMBO-108959253-i3112290.gc

As for the guitar, maybe something like an Epi LP Standard? http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-EPIPHONE-LES-PAUL-STANDARD-109251340-i3266643.gc

There's not much Jet City on GC used right now, but keep your eyes open for a
Jet City JCA5012C.

The new Marshall DSL40C is worth looking at too, there aren't any of those used either.

Thanks will looks into these.
The Ibanez would pretty much need change of pickups off the bat as they insist on putting their garbage in their guitars on the lower price brackets instead of licensing a pickup manufacturer, so with that in mind I'd advise against it. Better to go for Schecter or LTD, but its your call - if the guitar is comfortable to play then the pickups are secondary.

All 3 amp choices should be fine, the 6505 might be a bit too aggressive. I'd go for VK out of those 3 but see if a store has them so you can try them out. The VK is all tube so it would be the better choice IMO.
Quote by diabolical
The Ibanez would pretty much need change of pickups off the bat as they insist on putting their garbage in their guitars on the lower price brackets instead of licensing a pickup manufacturer, so with that in mind I'd advise against it. Better to go for Schecter or LTD, but its your call - if the guitar is comfortable to play then the pickups are secondary.

All 3 amp choices should be fine, the 6505 might be a bit too aggressive. I'd go for VK out of those 3 but see if a store has them so you can try them out. The VK is all tube so it would be the better choice IMO.

Ya from few reviews i have read peavey vk seems to be right for me. Unfortunately i live in a small town so i have to order one without trying so that's why i have asking for different opinions and moreover i am not very experienced so i am worried i wont be able to distinguish between different products as to which sounds right for me.