Page 1 of 3

GOAL: You have until August 20TH to learn a song, any song of your choice, with the instrument of your choice, and record it and upload it (to Youtube, your UG profile or any related site). Audio alone is fine. Video is fine. This should prove some fun and a good time waster and all along you're becoming a better musician. After all entries have been made we will judge on cleanliness, accuracy, techniques (ex. good harmonics or vibrato), styles, speed, etc. and overall impression.

NOTICE: Do not upload to a site where you have to register to view/hear the song (ie, facebook, etc)

*** REGISTRATION IS OPEN RIGHT UP UNTIL THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE ***

Thanks to StewieSwan for this:
To export a GP5 drum track as an Mp3 if I just download the song from UG...

Make sure only the drum track is on (mute the others or press the S button on the drum track in GP) and then go File - Export - MIDI. Once the drum MIDI is exported, find it wherever you put it and open it with itunes. Then right click the track and select "create mp3".
If it doesn't say mp3, if it's another kind of format then go Edit - Preferences - General - Import Settings - Import Using Mp3 Encoder and then right click the song and convert to mp3. This is all assuming you have the latest itunes.

These are the categories:

Guitar -- Easy/Intermediate/Advanced -- (note that 'easy' doesn't mean 'beginner')

Bass Guitar Intermediate/Advanced

Other

The finally completed COLLABORATION category! --

NOTES:

Other includes drums, vocals, keyboards, kazookeylele, bottles, or even the almighty triangle!

The COLLABORATION entries must consist of 2 or more people doing whatever instrument they feel like. All entrants for each song need to confirm their participation in order to be entered.

Don't forget the official UG Group for this monthly competition! Join for updates and news on current and future competitions. Suggestions are also welcome!

Please post the title of the song and band you are choosing and the category you are joining. Your registration will be invalidated if your registration is incomplete. (Bear in mind I probably won't know what BBFSTEDT or whatever stands for so dn't abbrv. wrds & terms)

Post if you are interested. You can also join multiple categories but only 1 entry per instrument per tier.

RULES:
1. Please do not pick a song you already know -- though finishing off a song you've tried and failed on sections of before is fine.
2. Feel free to register as long as you will post an entry by the 20th.
3. The winners get points
4. ...
5. Refer to Rule No.1!!!
6. Profit!

ENTRIES:

Guitar

Easy:

Cydonia - Muse (nico_9550)

Wish You Were Here - Incubus (Horsedick.MPEG)

The Devil is Calling - Gorgoroth (SaintVitus)

Blind Guardian - Majesty (jjfeu662)

Still Searching - Senses Fail (WCPhils)

Minus Human - Metallica (thenextkirk92)

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica (TokaiEX)

Space Dye Vest - Dream Theater (Random3)

Wait For Me - Kings of Leon (spacejamismyjam)

Creeping Death - Metallica (TokaiEX)

Writing on the Walls - Underoath (whywefight)

Intermediate:

Waking the Demon - Bullet For My Valentine (WCPhils)

To Live is to Die - Metallica (thenextkirk92)

Lamb Of God - Laid To Rest (DisarmGoliath)

Know Your Enemy - Rage Against The Machine (Horsedick.MPEG)

The Saddest Way - Converge (WCPhils)

Gold Teeth On A Bum - The Dillinger Escape Plan (Random3)

Modern Meat - Animals as Leaders (super_strat)

New Groove - Periphery (damian_91)

Eye Of The Beholder - Metallica (oneblackened)

Advanced:

Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani (nico_9550)

All Bodies - Between the Buried and Me (WCPhils)

Disease, Injury, Madness - Between The Buried And Me (Random3)

Bass Guitar

Easy

Schism - Tool (nico_9550)

Wish You Were Here - Incubus (Horsedick.MPEG)

One Way Ticket - The Darkness (TokaiEX)

Space Dye Vest - Dream Theater (Random3)

Intermediate:

Paranoid Android - Radiohead (Zaqq)

Know Your Enemy - Rage Against The Machine (Horsedick.MPEG)

Gold Teeth On A Bum - The Dillinger Escape Plan (Random3)

Eye Of The Beholder - Metallica (oneblackened)

Advanced:

Hair Trigger - Protest The Hero (Random3)

Other

In The Shadow Of The Horns - Darkthrone (SaintVitus)

Lamb Of God - Laid To Rest (DisarmGoliath)

COLLABORATION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTING THREADS

Easy Guitar:

Intermediate Guitar:

Advanced Guitar:

Easy Bass:

Intermediate Bass:

Advanced Bass:

Collaborations:

Other:
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Aug 22, 2013,
Is there any correlation between this thread and vegas?

one of these days I'll get a recording device and rock CATPM
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Yeah, I'm going to Vegas at the end of the month.

So... No, not really
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
How the hell has advanced bass had no entries for like 3 months

Anyway, I am moving house in a couple of days and will be back up and able to record soon after hopefully.

I have been looking at a few songs to cover:

Wretch by Protest The Hero. I was going to do this a few months ago but never got around to it.

Lay Your Ghosts To Rest by Between The Buried And Me. I have learned a couple of bits and I'm pretty sure I could do the rest but... damn... that solo...

Ice 9 by Joe Satriani. If I have fixed my wah pedal then I will probably do this one.

In The Presence Of Enemies by Dream Theater. I learned most of it last year apart from the solos, thing is the song is 29 minutes long.

Farewell Mona Lisa by The Dillinger Escape Plan. If this can count as intermediate then I will probably give this one a go, I think it's just about right on the borderline between intermediate and advanced so if someone could give me a second opinion.

Any preferences for which song to do?
My schedule is suspiciously clear this month, but the same thing happened last month. So I'm going to withhold from promising any official submissions until my submission is uploaded lol.
I have a lot of free time this month so I'll be doing Knights of Cydonia - Muse (Easy Guitar) Schism - Tool (Easy Bass) and Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani (I think it's advanced guitar but I may be wrong).
Quote by whywefight
horsedick's entry has a broken link

I'll try and replace it

OP Updated.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm confused. Why are there links already? Early submission stuff from the previous thread?
We're all alright!
I'm dropping my advance cover from last month (I deleted the Soundcloud track anyway)

I want my easy cover to be "Wish You Were Here" by Incubus on guitar and bass

I'll come back with an intermediate one later
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Mathedes
I'm confused. Why are there links already? Early submission stuff from the previous thread?

When categories don't have enough entries, the ones that get skipped get carried over to the next month.

OP Updated
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Noooo I didn't.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Man, I've entered this contest 25 times and never learn anything. I always come in too late. I learn songs two days before this thread opens up. It alway happens but for shits and giggles throw me Down for a possible band cover of hangar 18. But don't post it yet cuz il flake like usual.
As threatened last month.

Vocals-Darkthrone-In The Shadow Of The Horns

And if i have the time.

Easy Guitar-Gorgoroth-The Devil Is Calling
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

Quote by ehbacon
I would do this if I had anything to record myself on

Pretty much all phones have voice recorders, the quality will be shitty but it's good enough.
You'll have to convert the file to an MP3 before you can upload it to your profile but thats pretty easy to do.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by phayzze

I have a shitty phone, good for talking, but not really good for anything else. It's one of those tracfones
Quote by ehbacon
I have a shitty phone, good for talking, but not really good for anything else. It's one of those tracfones

Does your computer have a web cam? you can record yourself on that. If you don't have one you can pick one up for as little as £5 or whatever the american equivalent is.

Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by phayzze

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Noooo I didn't.

Rly? cuz I checked earlier and it was gone.

Oh well, it's up now anyway
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I might try to learn Blind Guardian - Majesty, but I can't promise anything.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
If I can I would do My Friend Peter by Alkaline Trio, but don't put me down for anything yet. I'll try get a recording together
OP Updated
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Hey guys. Finally I can participate, as I missed the last month's CATPM. But I'm not sure about the rules. I want to make a bass cover, and only I see Intermediate/Advanced categories for bass. But other people choose Easy songs I'm not sure if the songs I want to learn are Easy or Intermediate. I'm thinking of choosing "Prehistoric Dog" by Red Fang, "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead or "F.C.P.S.I.T.S.G.E.P.G.E.P.G.E.P." by The Fall of Troy.
Last edited by Zaqq at Aug 2, 2013,
All Bodies - Between the Buried and Me (Advanced Guitar)

Waking the Demon - Bullet For My Valentine (Intermediate Guitar)

Still Searching - Senses Fail (Easy Guitar)
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Easy: Minus Human - Metallica
Intermediate: To Live is to Die - Metallica

I want to do something advanced but not super hard. Any suggestions? It needs to be something in D# or D standard please.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
If KOC if classed as easy then I must be the shittest musician in the pit
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
If KOC if classed as easy then I must be the shittest musician in the pit

There's really nothing hard to it at all with the guitar. Isn't the beginning just some whammy barred notes and maybe a little tremolo picking? And then from there it's just basic chords some octaves and a nice little two string riff at the end.

The only way I can see bumping it up is if you played the synth arpeggios with the guitar because those would be a bitch

Quote by thenextkirk92
Easy: Minus Human - Metallica
Intermediate: To Live is to Die - Metallica

I want to do something advanced but not super hard. Any suggestions? It needs to be something in D# or D standard please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3O7yR0oCQ
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 3, 2013,
Then it should probably be intermediate I would say

Those are pretty tricky from what I remember
___

Quote by The_Blode
Wow, the solo-y bits for All Bodies are way easier than I thought they would be. Well not really but I've done these sweep patterns so many times in other songs that they're no biggy.

Knowing BTBAM though the "simple" looking riffs will be a pain in the ass
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
Wow, the solo-y bits for All Bodies are way easier than I thought they would be. Well not really but I've done these sweep patterns so many times in other songs that they're no biggy.

Knowing BTBAM though the "simple" looking riffs will be a pain in the ass

They're so much fun tho
Quote by Zaqq
Hey guys. Finally I can participate, as I missed the last month's CATPM. But I'm not sure about the rules. I want to make a bass cover, and only I see Intermediate/Advanced categories for bass. But other people choose Easy songs I'm not sure if the songs I want to learn are Easy or Intermediate. I'm thinking of choosing "Prehistoric Dog" by Red Fang, "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead or "F.C.P.S.I.T.S.G.E.P.G.E.P.G.E.P." by The Fall of Troy.

You can only have one song per category so you'll have to choose.

OP Updated. Don't forget to leave the difficulty of your song guys.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
You can only have one song per category so you'll have to choose.

I understand I'm not sure about the song difficulty.

Then I believe "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead can be called intermediate, so I choose it.
Quote by Zaqq
I understand I'm not sure about the song difficulty.

Then I believe "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead can be called intermediate, so I choose it.

Actually I'd probably say that's easy.

maybe FCPREMIX could be intermediate but I'm pretty sure that's just delay.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Some of the acoustic parts would fit into intermediate
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm

But can I choose an easy entry then? As I said before some posts ago there are only Intermediate\Advanced entries, but people do choose the Easy one. If it's OK, then yeah, Paranoid Android - bass - easy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

FCP would definitely be intermediate. There are some pretty fast runs in that song

Oh, scratch that, I thought he was doing FCPREMIX. Not the other one
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 4, 2013,
Page 1 of 3