Hello. A few days ago i saw a guitar intructional video and the guy showed how to hold the pick. I noticed that he held the pick with the soft side of his thumb and the side of the index finger. I hold the pick with the soft side of my thumb and the soft side of my index finger(like a scuba diver telling his mate he's OK). i tried to hold my pick like in the video, but i struggle with downpicking and strumming. With the way i hold the pick it feels easy to do alternate picking,sweep picking, down picking and strumming. I have more accuracy. My question is will the way i hold the pick affect my technique along the way? Is there only one way to hold the pick?
If the way you hold it is comfortable and lets you play well, use it. There's definitely not one way to hold it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by louis van wyk
Hello. A few days ago i saw a guitar intructional video and the guy showed how to hold the pick. I noticed that he held the pick with the soft side of his thumb and the side of the index finger. I hold the pick with the soft side of my thumb and the soft side of my index finger(like a scuba diver telling his mate he's OK). i tried to hold my pick like in the video, but i struggle with downpicking and strumming. With the way i hold the pick it feels easy to do alternate picking,sweep picking, down picking and strumming. I have more accuracy. My question is will the way i hold the pick affect my technique along the way? Is there only one way to hold the pick?

Hey man , I've been searching for the right pick holding for almost 2 months and I think I'm close to victory . What I found is Paul Gilbert's mechanics(what you saw in the video) is almost certain to work for EVERYONE and the most flawless way of holding it . However , this doesnt mean it's the ONLY way of doing it(your grip is not an absurd way,in fact, very fine method if it works for you). If you're cool with it , then no problem . (I Hope not but) If you find a problem(like me 2 months ago) then you may want to analyze your picking again . Also , you pick like Yngwie Malmsteen and thinking that he's a BEAST , there's no problem right now .
Quote by belaliyaldo
Also , you pick like Yngwie Malmsteen and thinking that he's a BEAST , there's no problem right now .

1. Yngwie does not hold his pick with the soft pads of his fingers, but on the side of his index:

http://www.yngwiemalmsteen.com/pixx/newyngwiecov1_smaller.jpg

2. But let's say he holds it like TS does, the following rule applies: Just because it works for him does not mean it works for you..
baab
Quote by BladeSlinger
If the way you hold it is comfortable and lets you play well, use it. There's definitely not one way to hold it.

this is true, but with a massive caveat - are you able to judge whether you're playing well with it?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
this is true, but with a massive caveat - are you able to judge whether you're playing well with it?

If you couldn't then all of us would rely on other people to tell us we're doing ok. Any musician, especially today, should be able to evaluate themselves on fundamentals.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If it works then there's no problem. As long as it doesn't limit your ability or cause any discomfort it should be fine.
Quote by BladeSlinger
If you couldn't then all of us would rely on other people to tell us we're doing ok. Any musician, especially today, should be able to evaluate themselves on fundamentals.

my point is this:

Quote by badfish_lewis
If it works then there's no problem. As long as it doesn't limit your ability or cause any discomfort it should be fine.

if you're just learning to play the "Smoke on the Water" riff, you will have no idea whether your technique is limiting your ability because ability isn't really being tested. it's up to you if you want to do things your way, but just don't get frustrated when you hit roadblocks that others don't.

a "musician" would be able to evaluate themselves...but we don't become musicians the moment we pick up an instrument.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
my point is this:

if you're just learning to play the "Smoke on the Water" riff, you will have no idea whether your technique is limiting your ability because ability isn't really being tested. it's up to you if you want to do things your way, but just don't get frustrated when you hit roadblocks that others don't.

a "musician" would be able to evaluate themselves...but we don't become musicians the moment we pick up an instrument.

I'll concede that. I came into guitar after playing an instrument for a few years.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by louis van wyk

DON'T EVER LET ANYBODY TELL YOU HOW TO HOLD A PICK!

hold it how you feel is comfortable. period

synyster gates hold the pick ******ed as hell, but im sure it's comfortable for him. his playing speaks for itself
When I first started I used my thumb, index and middle finger to hold the pick. It wasn't practical at all but it was the only way it was comfortable. Later on I changed the way I pick to the side of my index and inside of my thumb, making a fist with the rest of the fingers.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There are many ways to hold a pick, many standards.

If you're playing acoustically, and just strumming, a thinner pick to give you ring. If picking rhythm, a fatter pick is better. On electric, it is the same way.

If you're trying to shred, which has a lot of tremolo picking in it, a heavy pick is going to make that harder.

A good trick at accentuating notes and harmonics is to have the fat side of a pick what's hitting the string. Only a tiny bit of the pick makes contact, the fatty side of your thumb, while you bend the note,,gives you squeal potential at anytime.

When playing Jazz, especially an upbeat form, I hold the pick between mg ring and pinky fingers. Either strumming with the nails of my second and third finger or picking the chord, it'll be rhythm. Quickly put the pick on position for lead fills. This allows me to alternate between rhythm and lead.

I'd suggest though to try learning without a pick. I taught myself speed, stretch and technique by playing classical acoustics. Classical guitar is a bit irrelevant to the question but never forget the importance of being able to play with your fingers.

Imagine dropping a pick and not knowing how to fingerpick in front of 500,000 people.